1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Naming Policy

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Black Wolf, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Jackie1st

Jackie1st Cupcake

Personally I'm fine with numbers in mmo characters names, I have a number in my current name that I tend to use in forums in such but in mmos I typically try and use somewhat of a lore fitting name and follow the race's naming guidelines, But when it comes down to it, it's the players choice if they want to be called "1337Man007", it's their character and if other people don't want to play with them because they chose a "Stupid" name then so be it, at least they enjoy their name.

It's not something I think carbine needs to enforce as it's not really a problem except on perhaps RP servers where they could always put some sort of restriction in place so that only Mechari's could use numbers in their name.

But even on an RP server numbers can come in handy, even for just shortening a name if someone has a long title like "TheSeventhSon" changing it to "The7thson" does save a bit of time and space.
    This is of course a sci-fi game I don't think it's too out of line for someone's name to contain a few numbers.

The way I see it, having numbers in names could give RPers even more diversity and free-reign with their character. I generally oppose anything that could restrict a players creativity, of course you may have to endure seeing a few xX1337Gam3rzXx but typically these are few and far between in my experience and at most you'd be seeing them for like one dungeon run maybe, and of course if they didn't have access to numbers I don't see how xXLeetGamerzXx is that much better.
  2. potaco

potaco New Cupcake

If you allow Mechari to have numbers in their names, then even on RP servers, couldn't you have situations where non-Mechari would potentially have numbers in their names, too?

- A Cassian child raised by Mechari parents who didn't want their kid to seem quite so "different"
    - A Draken who has forsaken his own heritage and has become "reborn" as a Mechari
    - A loyal friend who takes the name of a fallen Mechari comrade as some kind of honor/revenge situation
    - ...etc
    Khrusky likes this.
  3. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

And you've always got the shortening of things like "SteveThe3rd".
  4. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I feel like the less we see non-alphabetic characters in player names, the better.
    Huffle Puff and Naunet like this.
  5. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

o.0 What games? Specifically, what MMORPGs?
  6. Dasmordo

Dasmordo New Cupcake

Definitely not a fan of numbers in names and never have been. I would understand if they let Mechari be the only race to do it seeing as it would make sense, but let them be the only ones.
  7. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Don't forgot titles, just because the box you type into says name" doesn't mean it literally has to be a name

-maybe have a mysterious dude named Watcher4

-or maybe a chau that builds really sick weapons named Engineer13

-maybe a second in command named Number2

Everyone needs a number 2.

Wildstar is a game where the Exile video made a testicle and a pissing joke. half the fun of the game is it doesn't take itself as seriously as other mmos, so why is everyone else.
    moneda likes this.
  8. Scoriae

Scoriae Cupcake

I really hope they do allow for spaces. Or at least have the option of adding a surname at some point. This surname would not affect /tell so if you want to talk to someone named Missing Link or something you'd still just type /tell Missing blah blah blah
  9. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

No numbers. If the argument is for Mechari, make them Mechari specific or something. Dealing with 1337speak is pretty obnoxious. It's not a game changer, but I mean... Meak17 isn't anywhere as cool as Meak. My 2 cents on the topic! :inlove: |-|3@r+
  10. Nintarie

Nintarie New Cupcake

I would like numbers, because if I made a Mechari I would name him after my Phantasy Star Online HuCast character, and his name was X 748. Some people might not find that to be a good name, but I liked it and would be happy if I could use it again.
  11. Kasabian

Kasabian Cupcake-About-Town

My username is a character name I have used for a very long time, it's quite frequent that I use it for a second name too, after all, it's where the name comes from. Pretty much every game I've played, at some point people will message me along the lines of how horrible I am for naming myself after a band. Essentially people assume I'm out to 'drag the community down' with the lack of an RP name, worse than Hitler, to the degree that I often don't bother using the name if I'm in an RP strong environment. Kind of sucks, but it's not worth it.

So for me, naming policies are fine as long as it's only for the clearly abusive names, otherwise, there can sometimes be a legitimate reason to why someone might have a weird name.
  12. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

Lore friendly First name, surname, and no numbers (Unless it's a Mechari I suppose, model numbers and that sort.). Those are my only concerns when it comes to naming. I don't want to see PWNYOF4C3, or some purposefully explicit, racist, sexist, or other names of that type while enjoying the game.
  13. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

Picard only needed a number one!.......But yeah. I say that numbers have a place, but only if it's lore friendly.
  14. Garm

Garm New Cupcake

I don't really care what or how others choose to name their characters as long as it isn't sexist, racist or extremely vulgar. Otherwise that's none of my business and if it's annoying enough, I'll just nickname the person in question when addressing them. :p For myself, I tend to choose short easily pronounceable Lore friendly names, despite not being an RPer. :geek:

I've ran into players who had very silly or strange names with very meaningful reasons behind them. Some of them being quite inspiring. ^^
  15. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

This is good point. :laugh:
  16. Yianna

Yianna New Cupcake

Mostly <REDACTED>ty f2p ones I played... I cant remember any big MMOs that allowed 0-9 but alot of online games allow 0-9.
  17. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

Isn't there a way you can hover your cursor over a char and press enter and it automatically inserts a /tell *char name* or something like that?

The only issue I have is with a character set that I don't have on my keyboard.
  18. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I'm absolutely against numbers in MMOs. A long time ago I was in an MMO that allowed it and the amount of x8XNaruto123X8x type names was incredibly frustrating to see. If people want numbers, they can just use roman numerals like XV. It's not like people have little creativity with just letters.

For the rest I wouldn't mind what people call themselves as long as it's not a swearword or a triggerword or anything extremely offensive.

What I'm interested in, is knowing whether we can choose 1 word for a name or more words like in GW2. I laughed out loud when I saw someone named The Chosen One. xD