1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Naming the Races

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Eluldor, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

So with Beta coming in on us fast, one of the things that has the potential to throw me off a game is character naming. I like to name my character according to lore (normally play on RP server), and games like Neverwinter where you can name your character "123 Numbers" is something I don't care much for.

In order to get a decent name, I started compiling names to see if they relate to Ethnic Human names (like in GW2) or just be something else entirely. NPC names in game are blurry (cams) even with 720p unless moused over, with the exception of the Gamescon build having thicker text with clearer names.

Here is the list of names I've spotted with the slashes "/" being variables not clear enough for me to make out. If you can contribute names, please help out :) or if you'd just like to share your chosen Race/Name go for it.

Exile Races:

Human - Serrick Brightland, Dorian Walker, Kit Brinny, Judge Kain, Buck, Aron Brightland, Explorer Stalworth, Bosun Redmark

Granok - Durek Stonebreaker aka Commander Durek, (The) Sarge

Aurin - Myala Everstar, Liara, Arwick Redleaf

Dominion Races:

Cassian - Tresayne Toria, Dominus the Half-Blood, Emperor Azrion, Myrcalus the Vindicator, Malvolio Portius, Game Hunter Joresh (heavy set human? with beard)

Draken - High Clanlord Zhur, Clanlord Makaza, Huntress Kezzia, Khuvor, Acolyte Kiari (pretty certain that is a K, after watching 1 more HD vid), Bloodshaman Sorkan, Game Huntress Wyla, Game Huntress M/Nala, Game Huntress Mayiche(e), Apprentice Laveka, Mhurhak Bloodspiller, Drezkar the Gorefang, Flight Master Zark

Mechari - Agent Lex, Agent Voxine

Note: Updating with names as I spot them :)
    Lumzk, Caerth, Goreshank and 3 others like this.
  2. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

cool. this actually generated a thought.

what if games assigned names to everyone? a random name from a list of unique names, per server.

you would still be able to choose your own name, but this would allow each player to store a setting that would overwrite people's names in their client, so instead of seeing Legooliaz, I would see Harper (or whatever the game decided that dude's name was).

I know most people don't care, but I hate seeing stupid names.

EDIT: (just in case someone important reads this) It should be a per person switch. So if I have a friend who picked the name Koliere, I would see him as Koliere, the name he chose, but I could do a right click > show "shadow" name one Legooliaz and he would appear as Harper.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  3. Eluldor

Now taking this into account. They could start with a free form naming system, but if you have a name like Noobzpwnerlol, then they have a system in place that first reinforces decent names and then allow players to
    report.

Once the report was sent, reviewed, and acknowledged as bad, the player would then be given the option to re-name their character, have 5 or so names provided as alternatives, and within a time limit say 48 hours one of the 5 names would automatically replace their reported one.
  4. azmundai

my take on it is that games already do what you say to some extent. not enough for my taste and that is the angle im coming from. there are some names that might not seem inappropriate to some. lets say for example, cameltoe. if you know what it means .. it's irritating, at least to me it would be. some might not find that very irritating and some people might not even know what it means.

if they could just assign a "ghost" or "shadow" name, then people could do whatever they want and those of us that care can just choose not to see it.
  5. Eluldor

Ah gotcha, read that differently at first. I hate seeing stupid names too, and just typing in words doesn't make it a name.

They could have a check box option that would lead to "Granok Soldier" or "Aurin Explorer" for overwriting names easily.

Heck, if the player isn't on your friends list, guild, or circle, maybe having a system like that in by default would be good. Because it isn't like people just know other people's names, they have to told the name by someone aka being introduced. That would be something new.
  6. azmundai

yea, and the person would know their "shadow" name, so if you did decide to contact them they wouldn't be clueless.

or instead of "shadow" name call it given name, or indian name (though come up with a better word that indian as that may be a little racist :) )
  7. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

yes I also dislike names like "babybadtoucher" and "qweqweaoi" and other tastless and thoughtless name's.... I feel its detracts from peoples immersion and ejoyment of the game somtimes it can be amusing if its a clever play on words but isnt offensive and I dont mind that but yea generally there should be more censorship when people choose there names all it needs is somthing like a word/phrase detection system inplace when people are naming there toons somthing inappropriate and yea when reported they should be given a chance to choose a new name or be given a name if they cant behave
  8. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

I liked how AO did it. It randomly generated a name, which you could reject and try again, and had you name as a nick name. i.e. Malvolio "Rakkis" Portius. This way it wouldn't really effect role players as much
  9. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Bob From Accouting
  10. Eluldor

Don't really understand the usage of this phrase here. Unless you're using it as an insult to me or saying your name doesn't matter.
  11. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Thanks for putting this list together! :) For my Draken main I'll be going with Kurik, so far it seems to fit.
  12. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

some minor observasions

Cassian names seem to go with a Roman Imperial kinda naming scheme I suppose that matches there power and entitlement, galatic empire, superior/chosen race attitude

Draken names seem to be focused on K's, Z's,W's and V's sharp aggresive names that you cant really say without showing some teeth
    They might also have a title added given there position in the clan or for reputation from a great deed such as : Bloodspiller, Clanlord etc

The Aurin names seem to be relaxed and have a small focus on nature, just think space hippys or elves

The Granock have names naturally focusing on durability and tenaciousness and there rock like heritage/features

The Human names seem to be like out west settlers or old cowboy names perhaps with a little bit of good ol' redneck mixed in yeee har!

And the Mechari well if I tried to make any observations on them I might not be able to finish this post heeh
    Eluldor likes this.
  13. Eluldor

Kurik sounds like a solid Draken name to me.

Nice observations Inukeu, that is what I'm hoping to get out of this :)
  14. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

15. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Nicely done Eludor. I had considered doing this for my own character naming, but you were one step ahead of me haha.

A point of curiosity for me would be how titles are implemented, for instance if I named my character "Agent Goreshank" and then got a title of "Agent." Would my name appear as "Agent Agent Goreshank?" As far as I've seen we don't have any real info on titles, but it has been on my mind as far as naming my character goes.
    Eluldor likes this.
  16. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Fail. :( :D
  17. Eluldor

Thanks for the link Fate, looking to expand on something like that.

The use of titles in game is interesting, because I've seen people name their toon with a Title like "Commander Bob", and then that person unlocks Commander...so "Commander Commander Bob" ha sounds like a pretty incompetent commander. Come beta we should be able to figure this one out fast and offer feedback.

Updated the Draken list, since so much footage is around their focused zone.
  18. Schorl

Schorl New Cupcake

Does anyone know if we'll be able to have surnames or add spaces in our name at character creation?