1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

NCSoft/Carbine in E3 2013

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Maxtross, May 25, 2013.

1. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

Fishsticks likes this.
  2. NerdEsq

NerdEsq Cupcake

Hehe, sometimes I feel like I view a different internet than everyone else. Any expectations that were made by fans about Wildstar and E3 were drummed up by themselves or other fans, not by Carbine. So for the fans to expect Carbine to live up to what they expected when what they are expecting is no where near what Carbine planned is just silly to me. I don't know of any place where Carbine stated that big news would be coming from E3 or even really hinted at that. They made mention of an off-site presser, but even that was meant to be very low key. Now, that presser has happened and it was a catch-up of news aimed at international audiences, nothing new.

And this "responsibility" to the fans to inform them of a release date? Why, so these same fans can then jump all over Carbine if things don't go the way it's laid out?
    "The best laid schemes of mice and men
    Go often awry,
    And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
    For promised joy!" -Robert Burns
    Except that grief and pain in the internet world means hate and flames against the company. Carbine probably doesn't know an exact release date yet, just a target date that is most likely in flux, so there is no need to make it public.
  3. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Yep, something i pointed out before hand as well we knew there would be no reveals some however claimed there would be one, even staying "they said so".

Yet we all know E3 isn't the place for big reveals on that front, i fully expect the European ones such as gamescon cologne to have a lot more (before people get their panties in a bunch the german market for RPG's is rather immense and not to be under estimated even when compared to the US one)
    NerdEsq likes this.
  4. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Nice news! :)
  5. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

There's plenty of posts them stating or hinting at some sort of information reveal. Although whether or not they say they'll be doing anything BIG, is certainly up for debate. In any case, there's enough hype around this game and around E3 that it was very very apparent the fan base expected something (to your other point, the fans are your consumers, you don't have to bend to their every whim, but you do need to keep them informed. If your consumers expect something, you should endeavor to provide it, or at least provide a rationale as to why you are doing it differently/not providing it - thats just basic business.)

A fan asked if Wildstar would be at E3 and they responded - From their twitter: @Mssg91 We are alive! And if my clock is right, it's Wednesday! That means you get some good stuff today. Well, we think it's good!

So in the middle of one of the largest video gaming events of the year, the Devs directly answer a fan tweet by saying that they are indeed at E3 and will be giving away some "good stuff" on WSW.

And you don't think that's going to get people hyped up?

Maybe you are viewing a different internet than everybody else. :devilish:
  6. ShadowNugget

ShadowNugget Cupcake

The problem for me ,and what I imagine a few other people, is not so much the lack of a release date, they said the game will be ready when it's ready and it will be. But the problem is that there's been two major conventions so far this year (pax and E3) and there has been next to no new information at both of them. It's been six months and they haven't elaborated or released any new information. Thankfully there will be two more conventions after E3 Carbine will be at ( NEC and Dreamhack) so maybe they'll have some new info there, maybe even a dev speak.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  7. ShadowNugget

ShadowNugget Cupcake

I tried my hardest not to get too hyped again but:

WildStar Hi Jordan, our presence at E3 was to expose people who hadn't seen/played WildStar yet to the game, so nothing new. Stay tuned for big news coming soon though!
    Like · 6 · about an hour ago

'Big news coming soon though!'
    Does anyone else feel like it might be the unreleased races? I mean, pretty much everyone knows about the Chua and the leakers have been posting textures and voice files for the fourth exile race.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  8. NerdEsq

NerdEsq Cupcake

I believe housing details and 2 new zones were released during PAX East. So they did reveal things.

The tweet above references a Wildstar Wednesday, which came out. Not sure what the problem is there. That is had no E3 info? That was not promised in the slightest. The entire thing about keeping consumers informed is a bit of a stretch. I will concede that Carbine dropped the ball with the tweet on the 7 saying there would be info later that day and then never giving any, but it's not a big deal. Things happen. They did come out 2 days later (probably when they had details about what was going on) and let everyone know. Sure, they could have said something on the 7 along the lines of "Gah. Things are still being worked out! Sorry and stay tuned." or something, but again, that whole thing was not a big deal.

E3 is an expo I would prefer them to ignore really, it's not for the fans. I would much prefer Carbine put their energy into public, fan based cons than industry run expos.
  9. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

So just so I understand this clearly - you're saying that Devs talking about how big news is going to be released, while E3 is currently underway, doesn't raise expectations from the consumer that the aforementioned news will be released during/as a part of E3?

Now who's stretching? ... e.g. If Lexus sends out a bunch of tweets about how they are creating a new model design for their cars right before/leading up to/during the LA Car Show, you don't think car enthusiasts would expect to see said new model at said car show? Or at least get some info about the model? Of course they would.

No matter how you slice it, if your consumer base expects something, and you don't deliver, something has gone wrong. Maybe the actual content doesnt meet expectations, or maybe it's on the PR and communications teams for representing content that wasn't going to ever be released. Or maybe its on the PR team because they saw a large swelling of hype for the game around E3 (how could you miss it, they check the forums and it was all over the internet) but they failed to adequately communicate with the community that no large reveal would happen. My entire point is that somebody dropped the ball here. If your consumers expect A, and you produce B, someone along the line <REDACTED>ed up.
  10. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Have people seen the footage of the press video that apparently was given out on USB sticks, I think its a few days past now, but there was some footage I had not seen like questing and open world lower level raid boss fight, and then some really extensive housing feature footage.
  11. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Here is an interview from E3, nothing new in it but worth a watch.

Xo1o likes this.
  12. Zwipe

Zwipe Cupcake

T
    the only thing thats happening is people being impatient. If there is nothing new, then there's nothing new.

Its like yelling at paint for not drying fast enough.
  13. Tyremis

Tyremis New Cupcake

This is about as correct as it can come for information. If they release in 2013 It will be October or November. We might get a September release if the devs feel the servers and game are up to snuff. You can use Guild Wars 2 August 28th release as an example of a game that was ahead of its final years projected target and released.

Nothing will release late November or in December. They will hold till after the spending dead zone that is Christmas and new year’s. People just don’t have the money to spend or don’t want to spend it when they have just received gifts or are buying them for other people.
    My guess is November 1st ish. That would give just enough time for people to buy the game for Christmas break and have fun.
    I agree with this.

They wouldn't be flooding the market with so much media if the release date wasn’t coming soon. If you compare last year to this year with how many videos and interviews and content is being generated for the fans then you can tell what kind of a timeline they are working with.

Also they are in Closed Beta!

Wikipedia

Beta
    See also: Beta release
    Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed. This version contains no bugs that prevent the game from being shippable. No changes are made to the game features, assets, or code. Beta occurs two to three months before code release.

You’re looking mostly at 3 month sections between each Beta.

3 months for closed
    3 months for open
    launch

They will most likely give themselves a bit of leeway by having a month or two just in case a major issue arises but essentially they are working towards a 2013 launch based on what’s happened with their marketing and development teams.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  14. will gram

will gram New Cupcake

Well looks like we got nothing (man i realllyyyyy need to stop getting my hopes up)
  15. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

Hope we get something out of their Dreamhack visit