1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Need help deciding on a Path?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Bravadorado, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

Alright, so here's the deal. There's me, my brother, my cousin, and a friend. We're all going to be playing Wildstar when it comes out. We've decided (just like all other games) to each be a seperate race/class/etc and we're going to be Exiles.

The current configuration puts me as a Human Warrior. And now I'm having trouble picking a path.

The friend is going to be Settler, and my cousin is going to be Scientist. The remaining paths are explorer and soldier, and neither my brother nor I can really choose.

The Soldier I like because you get to be the "hero". You're rescuing people, doing soldier things, and in groups you get additional bosses and other fun challenging content. You're the golden boy at the front of the group who brings the action.

I dislike the Soldier because, barring the rescue missions and huge boss fights, it sounds pretty boring. The idea of testing weapons is lame to me, because I like feeling like it was ME who killed those things, not my fancy temporary gun. Holdouts are fine but also boring compared to other path activities.

The Explorer I like because it makes me indiana jones. I'm the guy busting out awesome jump skills and secret short cuts. I'm not sure what explorers bring to groups, but the content looks so amazing. Jumping puzzles all day, scavenger hunts, map exploring, it all sounds like a blast.

The things I don't like about Explorer are that I don't feel as important as the Soldier and I think I lose some group dynamic. "Oh you made a shortcut?(#Willywonka) Well, I kicked so much ass that they hired another boss for the instance!"

I also love the thought of defeating the "normal" by being an Explorer rather than a Soldier as a Warrior. I'm just really conflicted. Can anyone help me out or offer some new info I don't know about to help persuade me?
  2. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

TarkeCat likes this.
  3. Bravadorado

Oh I see, yes I will do that, thanks!
  4. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

That test doesn't really help you choose a path though.

As for OP, I think you should go for Explorer by the sound of things.
  5. Bravadorado

Yeah, taking the test told me Explorer, but after some research and based on the questions it was obvious that the "Killer" was pretty much completely pvp based. Seeing as the Soldier is completely pve based, the test doesn't really help. It's really only saying Explorer because I don't like pvp and took the other option for most pvp questions.

Anyway, I forgot to mention in the OP that what it really comes down to is being more fun solo or being more fun in a group, imo.

I'm actually leaning a bit more towards Soldier now, since after a video I just watched I saw an explorer take a secret path that another explorer was walking through! And it dawned on me then that other players will be all over the other explorer quests too, and a lot of that unique "I discovered this" feeling will be gone. In GW2 the jumping puzzles were just fun to do for anyone so seeing someone else there just made it into like a race. But I feel like seeing another Explorer, since it is a character design choice, will just make me feel way way less unique. At least as a soldier I won't be constantly seeing people who are doing the same thing as me probably.

But really there is so much appeal for me regarding both paths it's a very hard choice :(
  6. TarkeCat

TarkeCat Cupcake-About-Town

Sounds like you want to be an explorer at heart, your not meant to be the one path to rule them all. The explorer still offers a lot to the table you enable raw content to others that otherwise they cannot reach eg hidden zones underground areas (which has been stated multiple times allows much faster travel then going above ground). Plus you help others complete their paths eg hey i have unlocked this new mountain now you can scan everything here for your path or look we found this new boss for mr soldier. If i where you go with your heart play explorer and you can still do all the soldier content by just tagging along so your brother could fill that role.
  7. TarkeCat

Sorry to double post be it has also been stated that adding more soldiers to a quest makes it harder. You will be sharing soldier content with other soldiers remember this is a mmo you will very rarely unless on low pop servers be able to be completely alone in your travels.
  8. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

I think Soldier may be a great fit for you and your group. Being able to complete holdouts should be beneficial to you group as far as extra XP and loot. Best of luck to your group on launch!
  9. Bravadorado

Yeah, but there are the assassination ones which look to be solo instanced, and for the boss fights and stuff I want I can simply wait my turn before going in. I've decided to be soldier as my brother has decided he really wants to be explorer. The main thing I wanted from explorer was the treasure hunting, which is sad to lose but I can still do jumping puzzles and all that with him so I don't lose much.

Thanks for the advice and help guys.
  10. TarkeCat

Glad you finally found your path (insert morgan freeman voice)