1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

New animation for Esper's 'Repulse' skill

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by InnocentCivilian, Mar 30, 2013.

1. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I only just noticed that the Esper's 'repulse' skill got a new animation :O. (at least, I'm fairly certain it's the same skill)

I made a video to show it side-by-side with the old animation. Sorry for the cruddy editing. :p

While I think that the old animation is far cooler, I understand why they made a new one. Even as I was watching the old animation for the first time, I was thinking: "man, what if I want a knockdown right NOW? Even half a second of extra cast time can feel like an eternity in action-oriented combat."

So for the sake of responsiveness and crispness in controls, I guess it had to be done. They did a good job making the new animation pretty sweet in its own right. ^___^
    Phakz, Kurik, Fate Flyer and 2 others like this.
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

It seems the new animation is a bit smaller as well.
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  3. InnocentCivilian

I think sooo. I guess it's a bit like StarCraft 2's spell effect design. I remember that the Protoss' Psi Storm underwent a number of iterations because they had to make it look 'cool' without it being too flashy and adding too much to 'noise' on the battlefield and disrupting the readability of other spells and stuff. :p
    Joukehainen likes this.
  4. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I prefer the old animation aswell it has more impact its nice tho there looking at controls this close and are prepared to change flashy moves for more player control
  5. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Heh. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, the giant palm's staring at the player is pretty cool and the impact has that "WHUMPH!" factor that makes me all giddy inside, on the other hand, the new Repulse is indeed faster, and less distracting than the original. The latter is excellent for Raids to reduce the amount of clogging and clutter, and has a better cast time than the original. Unfortunately, it seemed to have sacrificed a lot of its flashiness that I loved.

Please don't let them edit Blade Dance.

PS. Thank you, Innocent. You are king (or queen) at this kind of awesomeness.
  6. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

It should be a foot, or an anvil!
    Bellaby and InnocentCivilian like this.
  7. InnocentCivilian

I think that this is actually the best Wildstar suggestion I have ever read.
  8. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

You get a like just for mentioning psi storm. ^^
  9. SuperomegaOP

SuperomegaOP New Cupcake

meh it definitely looks worse but what can you do?
  10. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Hmm its definitely faster. Fast enough that I cant even tell the size anymore. Could be my sleepy eyes though.

Must chug coffee while watching email.

CHUG CHUG
  11. mge_br

mge_br Cupcake

Also liked the old one better , I would prefer if they had taken out the blue energy ground breakink and left the big ass hand.
  12. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I second "anvil"
  13. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Is it just me...? Why can I barely tell the difference...? I have watched this video a few times now on different days, InnocentCivilian, and I must say, I would not have even noticed this. :laugh:
  14. Sierus

Sierus Cupcake

Anvil? Foot?

Don't start going all Willpower and Green Lantern's ring on me!

In all honesty, I think a random choice off one of the three should go off each time the power is used, so one time it could be a fist, the next an anvil or then a foot!
  15. InnocentCivilian

To be fair, the quality of the vid that depicts the new animation isn't very flattering. :p

The main differences, I think, are:

1) Significantly reduced delay between clicking the ability's button and the Knockdown taking effect. This ties into the next two points:
    2) Hand no longer appears as a giant Palm with an eye that 'gazes' at its target before crashing down as a fist. (a spectral fist now smites the target location almost immediately after pressing the button)
    3) Aurin caster no longer jumps up while the hand is floating, and landing as the hand comes crashing down. (Aurin caster now raises her fist in the air as the spectral fist smites the target location; a faster animation that seems usable while moving, even if it's not very clear in the vid :p)
    4) The spectral fist itself looks like it MAY be a bit smaller than the original.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  16. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

Well I know for one thing. This made me want to play Esper now! :)