1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

New monk class idea "Shotgun Gaunlets"

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Archangel, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Archangel

Archangel New Cupcake

Now I know this will probable be folded into the class spec thread, but i hope not

If wildstar dev team is watching these threads please make a monk class like this

A monk with shotgun gauntlets would rock. You could have a ranged Taunt, a ground slam that does cc or aoe damage! the whole concept would work in the wild star universe!

anyone with other ability ideas jump in!
    ruff_ethereal and kanochi like this.
  2. Archangel

Archangel New Cupcake

Fixed link!
  3. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

Well that was interesting lol, I wouldn't be against some interesting weapons like that could have some really interesting skills spawn from that along with a lot of mobility.
  4. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

Holy nuts....that was awesome

Um..ya I would play the hell outta that class if it was like that. I could see it being the melee healer per say. But Im pretty sure the staff is going to be it..althought if it was a monk class with a staff...O.O
  5. Jake Steel

Jake Steel New Cupcake

Didn't mean to watch the video. Any class with a weapon called shotgun gauntlets is a go in my book.
  6. Dracor

Dracor New Cupcake

A friend linked me the four of these yesterday. As ridiculous as I find wrist mounted weaponry in most things it would definitely fit Wildstar's wacky/over the top setting and humor. My favorite part about it is the mobility uses, feels like rocket jumping with some of the dashes/jumps used in the trailer.
  7. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for linking that. It had a Dragonball feel with the huge yellow hair and fist projectiles, as well as a strange Kill Bill vibe too (bad ass lond white girl + tons of black suited up bad guys). I liked the fight choreography too so I'll be following up on it for sure.

As for the class idea itself: it is really close to a Stalker. I mean that in the sense that both would have their weapons be attached to their hands and be close combat. It would be kind of hard to differentiate the two unless you made it a mid-ranged gun fighter, but then you'd be stepping on the toes of the Spellsinger. So melee weapons and mid-ranged guns are pretty much in at this point. Not to mention that there are rumors of a true ranged gun class on the way.

It's a fun concept but I think Wildstar has its bases covered. As of right now the class distribution is 2 melee damage/tank, 2 ranged damage/healers. I suspect the last two will be healer/damage and damage/support (in a non-healing way).
  8. cirk

cirk Cupcake

Damn you. Now I have the need to play Fallout: New Vegas again.

[​IMG]
    ruff_ethereal and F8L Fool like this.
  9. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

You have been rewatching the trailers too much, my friend.

Hell, while we're at it change the staff into a sniper-scythe, add a rapiervolver skin to the swords, and whipgunsword wielding tank class! I'm serious, I would play an undead scythe class, that would be the most uber thing ever. Then deck him out in a hood and cloak? DAAAAAAANNNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

But I kinda agree with FBL Fool, it's too close to the Stalker design-wise. They could turn it into a mid-range class, but that'll cause the weapons to lose part of their charm: punching people in the face while at the same time pumping them full of buckshot. Not to mention it'll then be highly similar to the Spellslinger.
  10. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

What if Stalker already has a weapon like this? They've said they limited the weapon types so they could make awesome animations, there's the forward slashing claws already that look like wolverine's and then there's chain saw claws. They could potentially have something similar, and it could have an active ability on it that lets you launch yourself at the enemy by shooting behind.

Similarly spellslinger could have two sawed off shotguns that work the same way or at least close to it. Point is, we don't know what the weapons will look like, we know they are varied though.
  11. Archangel

Archangel New Cupcake

I totally like this idea. I would love a tank stalker, with shotgun gauntlets!
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Since every class has a different weapon they'd have to develop a whole class around this weapon, which doesn't give much in the way of varied weapons, but it does sorta fit different classes pretty well. I don't think there's enough depth to this single weapon for a whole class, I could be wrong though. It's an awesome looking weapon, don't get me wrong, and it could have an interesting "stance" system that you change stances based on what ability you just used (sorta how kung fu flows through stances in their forms).

And each "stance" gives a separate set of buffs. Like one will increase crit chance, one will increase your DoT's by one tick, etc. I think Carbine could pull this off, but not by release.
  13. Archangel

Archangel New Cupcake

I totally agree. I was thinking a class or idea later down the road, I know full well that they have there hands full!
  14. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

Single weapons have worked in a lot of games and not felt the least bit restrictive or awkward. When you design a class around the use of one weapon you grow to feel innately attached to it over time. Plus there is an entire layer of balancing that you don't have to worry about that is ever present in multi-weapon classes. How often do people complain about 2H vs. 1H? Daggers vs. Swords? Wand vs. Staff? It's just a massive headache that should arise in games like Guild Wars 2, that rely on weapon swapping on the fly for gameplay to succeed.

I suppose Korean games have do it best when it comes to one weapon class designs, and I don't mind one bit. Watching a Slayer use a Greatsword in TERA feels right and rather iconic within the game world. Just like seeing any of the bow classes in Lineage 2 rocking some extravagant feels just right. Hopefully Wildstar can replicate those feelings and provide some really awesome weapon skins.
  15. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

You misunderstood what I said.

"I don't think there's enough depth to THIS (being the shotgun gauntlet) single weapon for a whole class..."

I think classes should specialize in a type of weapon, I'm completely for this. Martial artists, while possibly being able to use a variety of weapons proficiently, would choose a weapon and specialize with it, sure they still may be undeniably better than everyone else with another weapon, but they'll stick to the one they're best at. It simply doesn't make sense to have a bunch of different weapons to be able to use. I'm totally for a single weapon per class. It allows the animations to be much more unique, as well as preventing players from saying "Ya know... this axe that's supposed to be an axe looks like a sword..." Instead in Wildstar a sword for a warrior can look like an axe, because guess what? No axe class. As long as it's still a slashing style weapon. Also, they can tailor the animations to the weapons more easily if they can narrow it down to just having to do it for a single class.

They've got a lot of classes on the back burner which they'll develop and put out if they need to fill niches. I hope they don't just add a class because they feel like they have to. If you look at the DK in WoW, they actually had to change all the other classes to fit how it plays to be able to balance it. Which is fine, I think they made the gameplay much better and more interesting in MoP than any of the other expansions, but it took them 2 expansions to finally make it balanced.
    F8L Fool likes this.
  16. Archangel

Archangel New Cupcake

I think your misunderstanding my intentions also, I like the idea of shotgun gauntlets. But that's just one weapon. I want a true monk class in a good mmo. Wow made a joke effort at a monk. I love the idea of fist weapons and combo weapons. I know you will probably think "then play the stalker". I like the stalker but am tired of the rogue char. I don't like hiding in the shadows. But that's just me!
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

By "monk" class you mean a martial arts class right? I think a shotgun gauntlet could put a Wildstar spin on the martial arts class (or something similar, where a shotgun gauntlet could be one of the weapons). What I was pointing out was that you can't just go in and add classes all willy nilly into an MMO because it'll end up feeling odd and out of place. Carbine's going to be adding more classes "eventually" but only when they feel they're needed to fit a combat style, not arbitrarily when they decide, "Man our classes are boring, let's just add a new one." They'll make a class to fit the role that's needed, not try to wedge a class in to create a different type of role. They're following the supply/demand curve (or predicting it rather based on feedback after launch) I think this is smart.

Whether or not they make a specific monk class, dunno. I'm looking forward to Stalker, but I always loved rogue classes. I'm super excited for missiles being added, it gives a better "dirty trick" kind of feel to the rogue. Anywho, I understand your sentiments for the martial arts class, that it's different. I think if they're going to do it though, they should base it on martial arts, like old ones like Wing Chun and Kung Fu. Then mix in some more modern ones that are used by actual militaries presently, like Brazilian ju jutsu. Though... if you look at modern martial arts, they do seem fairly "roguey" (I would have said rogue like, but that could be construed as something else...)
  18. SilentJ

SilentJ Cupcake

That video is pretty amazing. The idea of shotgun gauntlets is super epic, but like others have said, I think it would play too similarly to the stalker if they designed a class around it, and I don't see them breaking the 1 wep per class thing to give it to the Stalker.

That being said, I'm rather hopeful that we do end up with a monk class in the game. I'm really hoping the possible staff class is a melee fighter. The odds of us getting a staff wielding monk over a dual wield monk are much better because they can keep the animations and overall aesthetic much different from the Stalker.
  19. dave

dave New Cupcake

Is No one going to address the fact she used the dempsey roll on that guy? Because I did and it was amazing :D
    SilentJ likes this.
  20. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I uhh, don't know what you're trying to tell me... I did say the concept is too close to the Stalker as a melee class... Although I don't think a stealth class would have a charge skill, what they usually have is a shadowstep that ports them behind their target, besides shotguns seem a little overt for a stealth class. Then again there are the chainsaw permutations...

While they're on the process of adding more weapon designs, I sure hope they add in Hidden Blades-esque designs, make the blades come from under the palm instead. Just a wish...