1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

No Racials, please.

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by CaRaDaGaiTa, Jul 14, 2013.

1. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Actually not so much, past has shown us it's rather a large group of players looks at the race/class combinations in a more min/maxing way.
    What is not so good for diversity and even less so for faction balance, developers have even commented on it from other games that if the option came again they would not pursue that avenue.

Right now we are going to have it so every class can do everything optimal, there's no hidden factors involved that will suddenly make a race with a haste buff more effective for classes x,y,z, here that race will simply easier reach their milestones in that area.

People don't seem to understand that they are trying to cater to a competitive crowd these things matter to a competitive crowd, so design choices have to reflect that and thus the DnD rule book on that is simply not suitable here.
  2. Zero713

Zero713 Cupcake

I'm not a fan of racials, but if the system is made right I can learn to love them. I am open to seeing what Wildstar can bring to the table in this area.

Best racial suggestion ever was when I was watching SWTOR, and people were hoping Admiral Ackbar's race would be playable and start with +3 to trap detection. I lol'd
  3. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Good that you now know what we are talking about. I might be reading you wrong tho, but you might, just might be sarcastic here. Why would you be is beyond me. I want something for the top 0,5-10% of players you want something for casuals. Carbine has stated they will be doing ultra hard content for our group and that many times if you do not cater to the most hardcore players, they end up leaving the game. After they have left, people who aspire to become better leave as they see that there is nothing to become better in.

I do not think we are majority. I do then again think that hardcore players are big enough and important enough part of the whole playerbase to create content, and design some of the game aspects around. What would be good percentrage of the playerbase, to justify creating content around that particular group? 20%? Maybe 90%? What if the casuals who care of racials even the slightest is only 5%? Do your rules apply?

Again one more post with nothing but spite towards certain group of players. Insults and sarcasm and whining seems to be all you are capable of, which is slightly sad tbf.

Funny part is, I am hardcore player but I have nothing against casual players. In TBC we had one hunter, who was quite nice bloke, but had no idea of how to play his class and our guild leaders wanted to kick him out of the guild. What I did was I rolled a hunter, read everything about the class and did few raids with the class. After that I politelly asked this hunter if he would like to know more of his class, and would he like me to teach him? He said yes of course, he would love if someone helped him out. I told him everything about gearing, gemming, possible specs he could use and gave him all the macros he required in order to raid. He became one of the top DPS in our guild and had fun playing with all of us.

I did this exactly same thing twice, once with one very nice and social rogue who was awesome person to play with but wasn't quite sure how to play his class.

The thing is, I have nothing against casuals or RP players or PvP players or HC players. What I do have something against is your kind of a person who just whines and whines and whines like a broken record, who has nothing resourceful to say. Do I have to remind you that you actually called all raiders circle jerking twats last night? How is that in any way acceptable behaviour?
  4. Infamouz

This system sounds fair enough. I personally would prefer that there is no racials at all in the game, and classes and paths would be made more interesting and have more depth in them instead. I can live with this kind of a system tho, as long I don't have to look at stats on character creation screen and I can just play what ever race I want instead of look at some ugly granok ass for the next few years because that race happened to have racial X.
  5. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Well it's not really a racial more a racial bonus that becomes void at longer playtimes. I do suspect it goes both ways, so let's say as granok you'll max out endurance quicker while as aurin you'll max out that agility stat quicker.

As a side note, just let grim rage about us big bad elitists for whatever personal reason we caused him butt hurt, he's not adding anything and simply sounding like a broken record, he'll probably end up complaining once the game is out about certain things while the game is clearly targeted at a certain audience. His blood pressure not mine :)
    Xlugon Pyro and UNDERZZZZZ like this.
  6. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah it definitely sounds like that's the sort of route they're going down. It keeps the flavour of the races without gimping the hardcore people who do scare about aesthetics as well because those people can just choose their favourite looking race and just work a little bit harder/spend a little bit more to get the stats/abilities/whateverstuff that they want.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

XD
  8. Shahdee

Shahdee New Cupcake

It's easy to spot a wannabe hardcore: they can't wait to tell you how hardcore and elitist they are.
    Grim Fandango likes this.
  9. Infamouz

When words fail..
  10. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

I don't mind either way where racials are concerned, so long as they don't lead to a disproportionate amount of people playing certain races. I'm more concerned with that particular aspect than that some characters may have a degree of advantage in some areas.

There's no denying that racials can influence an individual's decision on what race to roll, but I think in the main most people will decide on the basis of a race's appearance than anything else.

Regards.
  11. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

No sarcasm, there. Just making sure that everyone understands what is being requested, by whom, and for whom.

If only 0.5%-1.0% of the population will be using racials to min-max, and only a portion of THAT incredibly tiny minority is against the use of racials at all, while the remaining 99%-99.5% want or don't mind racials +/- the portion of the .5%-1% who want racials for min-maxing...

I really think you need to rethink your tactics. It's almost certain beyond question that racials will exist as an additional method of differentiating the races in playstyle. A better angle might be to argue how those racials are implemented. Perhaps suggesting they be utilized primarily as movement-effects, tactical benefits, or other indirect combat or completely non-combat benefits would be more readily accepted and succeed in both differentiating the races and avoiding race-requirements for raiding classes.

-Rachel-
    Sapien likes this.
  12. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

I personally like racials. They add a bit of unique flavor to each race that I find fun. They just need to be relatively balanced for PvE.

I'd make them not work at all in PvP to avoid issues there.
  13. Infamouz

I think you must have misunderstood me dear Rachel. The fact I used ATR data only shows behaviour of those particular persons, who indeed tend to be the Gladiator / Duelist material, the top 0,5-3% of the PvP players. But dear Rachel, you have to remember that not everyone does play PvP. Many if not most hardcore raiders do this exactly same as PvP players do, it is just alot harder to gather this kind of data for PvE servers. So you can not state from the data I used that only maximum 1% of the whole playerbase acts like that, as this was not the argument at the first place. The data of ATR was there just to give a hint how competitive players act, if there is no trade off for them rolling races with best racials, trade offs such as paying money for race or faction reroll.

The amount of people to whom racials are an issue might be 50% of the player base, or maybe only 10% of the playerbase, it is impossible to know without making a big enough query about the matter. I am quite sure it is more than the maximum 1% you are falsely trying to use as your argument in this debate.

I really do not need to rethink my tactics, but perhaps you should rethink using certain data completelly out of context. :)

Yours, with love.

-Infamouz

Ps. Perhaps you should start a poll about this matter here in WSC? Keep in mind tho, that WSC does not represent the whole world wide gaming community just like my example of ATR players does not represent the whole community of the serious, competitive or hardcore players.
  14. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Hey, I was just going off the numbers provided. No attempt at falseness. You set up the proposition, I followed through on it. Any debate larger than those numbers would require, as you said, a massive census.

Any response to my actual suggestion, however, of making racials noncombat abilities rather than strictly removing them?

-Rachel-
  15. Infamouz

Yeah you followed trough it, maybe I wasn't clear enough for why I used the ATR data. I did thou note:
    I wouldn't mind non combat racials for gathering and crafting etc etc as long as they do not directly interfere with endgame PvE and PvP. By directly I mean, having the racial would be only way to get best in slot item for PvE, or to gather resources for best in slot item and so on.

If the racials would be such as "Granok Geology mastery; Your race has deep and in deph knowledge of rocks and pebbles of the nature, giving you the chance to identify rich and lucrative mining nodes around the Nexus. +10% resource ore find per node" Things everyone can overcome given enough time and effort and doesn't give huge advantage over others who just liked to play a cute little aurin.

I do not mind the racial system what Acidbaron was talking about which seems to(?) be the system used in the game. That way I will be able to acquire the racials I require for PvE or PvP given that I see the extra effort for to get ones that are "off race" ones.