1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Number of abilities...

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Tom Collins, May 25, 2013.

1. Dave Bowman

Dave Bowman New Cupcake

I kinda hope that the limited loadout... action set, whatever... isn't too limited. I like having that one ability on my bar that use, like, once a month, but when I do pull out of my ass monthly at a clutch moment, the fact that I remembered it and used it correctly feels real good. Doubly so in PvP.

Never liked the ability-selection metagame. I get it, amat victoria curat and all that <REDACTED>, the whole deck-building thrill, but in my experience, the only time you become aware of your selection is when you run up against its limits and wish you'd done something else.

Besides, those people who prefer not keybinding thirty skills can still choose not to keybind them. People used to heal with clique in WoW with literally five skills bound to modifiers and mouse-clicks. Just hide the extra bars and enjoy your sleek, clean, pro setup while guys like me play church organist.
  2. frogbound

frogbound New Cupcake

The less barspace and the more abilities you have, the more fun theorycrafting will be!
    I'm excited and I hate buying another naga just for WildStar :eek:
    ArdentSun and BlindSear like this.
  3. Ethos

Ethos New Cupcake

The limited ability slots was a huge dealbreaker for DCUO for me, so im torn about this.
  4. Seahorse

Seahorse New Cupcake

I'm all for having many abilities at my disposal. Need to get some use out of my naga :p
  5. epiksheep

epiksheep New Cupcake

You can find it in episode 21 of the podcast where they talk to carbine members. They speak about how certain classes will be required to take abilities (they should be skills you want anyway) and that helps them build synergy between that ability and other abilities.

AFAIK, the ability they force you to have does not count against how many abilities you can put on your bar, and is more like your F1-f4 abilities in GW2
    Kataryna likes this.
  6. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

i keep hearing this "GW 2 had so few skills to use",have you actually played the game?you had between 16 (war and thief) and 44 (ele with 3 conjured weps),also,you used most of them,which is the total opposite of games where you have 50 skills and use only 10 % of them regularly.My opinion is that people who moan about small number of skills,just want cluttered U.I's,so they can pretend like the game they are playing is hardcore "Just look at how many skills i have!)
    Number of active skills depth of combat
    ArdentSun likes this.
  7. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

I laughed so hard at this.

In a typical long bow ranger fight i would use 2 abilities. 2.

I don't even mention Pvp thief with 1 ability to spam, which was making jump all over the damn place OSing everybody.

Gw2 LAS was garbage, the 5 utilities were at best useless compare to the AA, that let 4 abilities to actually push to fight and your heal. I've never seen/experienced such a slow,boring combat system in my life.
  8. AusterlitZ

th
    the fact that you actually used longbow on a ranger,ends every debate...that's a big hint of how good you we're at the game...
  9. Ellianar

Never said i was good :D actually i dinged 80 and stopped immediately for i was bored past human tolerance. Short bow ranger or even 2H sword ranger that i played too werent much better. Anyway we don't need to fight over a game we almost all agree have failed in so many ways.
  10. AusterlitZ

yes i do agree the game was a failure for any hardcore player,but the point of my original post was to point out that the game had a reasonable amount of skills on the bar,not "very few skills" like i have seen so many people claim,16 minimum skills (regardless of how viable they are) are still way better than a lot of other games.The reason these action MMO's have a limited skill set is because of the attention you require in combat (dodging,reacting to telegraphs,etc),which is a big difference to most mmo's,where you either stand still,or just focus on your skill rotation
    ArdentSun likes this.
  11. Ellianar

I agree with you on this, positionning seem to be a big deal in W* with telegraphs, dodging, sprinting et the action part. I personally see no problems at all with 10 buttons. Actually PvE rotation when i played Wow involved less than that, at least for the spe i was playing at the time.
  12. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

Less abilities could be a good thing. More doesn't necessarily mean better. I remember feeling overwhelmed with the number of abilities in Rift, and feeling pressured to utilize them all.
  13. Pang

Pang New Cupcake

Haven't really been following this game as close as many here, but seems to me the Dev is going for a more action, real time based combat system. A system that is more about situational awareness and rely on your own ability to dodge and block, and not so much auto-attack, rotation locked based combat of say a WoW.

With less abilities at your disposal the combat becomes more skill based IMO. It also means you have to plan ahead and think more about your class and your build before you go into combat.

I get that the old rotation based style might be a hard habit to break but I feel MMO combat systems trending more towards real time action based will be for the best. Its not a coincidence that recent MMOs like Wildstar, ESO, Neverwinter, GW2 as well as few from previous years are going with this system. To me its a welcome change to the stale archaic WoW style combat.
    ArdentSun and BlindSear like this.
  14. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

So let me get this straight, I state a personal opinion about something I dislike in a game, and you pigeon hole me with a baseless opinion?
    I didn't like the way the limited amounts of skills at one time worked in GW2. I couldn't care less about "looking pro" or "seeming hardcore". I simply didn't like it. I felt restricted and honestly, I didn't think the skill sets were very good on most weapons. Which is why I stopped playing.
    I also felt that a lot of the weapon skill sets were very similar, and a lot of the damage came through auto attack. This is just my opinion, I didn't like the game very much taken as a whole.
    Is that OK with you? If you don't have any information on what I asked for, then that's fine, but maybe just for once on the internet, can we avoid the "My opinion is fact" routine?

Cheers.
  15. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, some of the weapons were terrible in GW2. There was max 2 optimal weapon choice for all classes. That's not cool. Luckily, Wildstar will be different in this regard. :)
  16. AusterlitZ

the number of skills available in gw 2 is not subject to "opinion",it is a FACT.You can have opinions about them being any good,or the overall feel of combat,but not about how many they are.
  17. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

Read what I put again, I didn't state any specific number, I stated a personal opinion about it.

"one thing that does turn me off in MMOs though, is having only a few skills to use (GW2 for example)"

That is what I wrote. Only a few skills to use, meaning, you can only have a few active at any one time. FACT.
    I don't like that in MMO's, I prefer to have a lot more to use. MY OPINION.
    Read more carefully next time before jumping down someone's throat. Seem logical to you?
    I am only responsible for what I say, not how you choose to misinterpret it.
  18. expendability

expendability Cupcake

I thought each class only had 1 weapon in W*?

Oh and to get my 2 cents in this discussion... I don't mind it so much as long as you can swap the abilities between battles/ect. The problem with GW2 was you were stuck with the abilities the weapon came with.. so if I was going into a fight where I needed X skill I would have to equip Y weapon.. even if Y weapon had completely useless skills besides X.. always thought that was silly myself. Since everything is compared to WOW anyways.. I can say that in WOW vanilla I had skills upon skills to use and man they made you use em too.. But I always felt that it was way too complicated at times and frustrated a-lot of people.. (I don't think you should have to set macros or have bot programs running just to be able to play.. because in the end are you really playing or just using 5 skills and letting the macros/bots do the rest?) But even in WOW now you can see that 3/4 of the skills you have are useless or are buffs that you used to have to micro to keep up but now have group effects or last an hour.. so in the end the UI was just always cluttered in WOW when I could just use skills 1-5 and raid all day heh.
  19. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Yes, that is true. I only said that, because in W*, you can actually hand pick all of your skills in the action bar.
  20. expendability

expendability Cupcake

Oh ok.. yeah that make's sense.. just making sure I wasn't out of the loop on something.. :D