Official M30 Patch Note Q&A thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jeremy Gaffney, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

Hi, as many of you know, we had a leak of our beta patch notes a few days ago and some feedback on how forum feedback, etc. Beta's going well, so that doesn't particularly suck for us, honestly.

But it doesn't seem fair to the sites (like Wildstar Central) that are being good guys and keeping discussions on NDA-breaking material off their forums to lose traffic to sites that aren't as ethical.

So what we'll do in general is to focus our devs to post preferentially on the sites that help enforce our NDA.

So, here's our patch notes released officially without NDA. We won't always respond to leaks in this fashion. In fact, we don't like leaks and will be using our particular set of skills to make life a nightmare for leakers like that.

Having said all that, in return for having enforced the NDA here, enjoy and I'll make an effort to drop by this thread over the next few days and respond to questions coming from the notes (not everything, we gotta keep some stuff secret ;) )

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/m30_patch_notes.php

(folks from other forums sites who see this and are enforcing the NDA, let me or our community know (well our community guys probably already know) and I'll make an effort to add you to the list of places we drop by and give info to/give some exclusives out in the future. And thanks, by the way.)
    Zadok, Sonntam, Afrotech and 43 others like this.
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

First off ,sorry to hear about the leak but a great way to deal with it!

It looks like settlers are going to get the ability to put up turrets. Is that on fixed locations where a plug in is installed ? I'm asking because any settler info is awesome but couldn't figure out how this fit in.

Thank you again!
  3. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Gaffer, I'm astounded by the awesomeness that Carbine continues to show in regards to Wildstar and the communities. This move to me, feels like sacrificing a queen (or just a rook) to win the game. I can't tell you how appreciative I am of this move. Now just let me go through the notes to ask a few questions :D

P.S. Can we blame the leak on Scooter since he was on vacation? :p
    Rai, Zee, Rakkis and 5 others like this.
  4. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I think the only real thing that stuck out for me was the reduction in the limited action set from 9 to 7. I think there were already concerns from some of us coming from games where we have (and use) dozens of abilities. Games like The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 went down a limited path and it really dumbed down the complexity of the combat system and made combat thoroughly unrewarding.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is this a temporary thing? Are you experimenting with different setups? Or have the more 'casual' players already started complaining of having too much to keep track of?
    Kahran Ramsus, Charb and Zeta like this.
  5. Jeremy Gaffney

Well, we're not really complaining too hard about a leak that says "the game is well polished" and "the forums are overwhelmingly positive" but I'm sure we'll get negative leaks at some point as well, that's life.

Settlers have some things that are plug-based (i.e. fixed locations, pretty themepark-y) and some things that are free-placeable (pretty sandbox-y). I actually don't recall off of hand which the turrets in the notes are; there's enough content in the game that probably both kinds might be somewhere.
    Sonntam, Zilvoran, Axian and 4 others like this.
  6. Jeremy Gaffney

This came up on a reddit thread earlier, here's a clipped up copypasta as it's a good question:

Beta for us isn't about taking a completed game and just using it to build hype, it's about having unbiased (well, randomly biased) players in the game giving us feedback on pretty much everything.

Class abilities are separate from temp powers, usable items, path abilities, and a few other ability types we've been proposing. In the notes, we were actually making room for more of the non-class abilities like Path abilities (charged jetpacks for explorers, weapons needing field tests for soldiers, etc.)

The total number of combat-usable abilities will generally stay in the range that a highly skilled player without custom hardware (30 button mouse or macro keyboard or w/e) can comfortably use so there isn't too much requirement at the top end for custom hardware on raids etc.

The number of noncombat or precombat abilities will likely rise as there is no particular need to restrict them for balance.
    Sonntam, Brezals, Zilvoran and 9 others like this.
  7. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

I've got work in the morning, so i've gotta get to bed now.. but if you're asking for feedback on these patch notes, i'd be more than happy to oblige you and the rest of the dev's.

But for now.. sleep... 5:30 a.m. shift of bakery goodness.
  8. Zeta

Zeta New Cupcake

Yes while we have your transparency could you explain the rationale behind 7 action skills. GW2 has 10 and the combat is a bit boring and undynamic because of it. Even though less skills means more accessible to less talented players more skills means more reactivity more options more everything really. Even autoattack makes things boring. Quite surprising as I was hoping for more action rpg that requires constant input

Edit: hur already answered. Thanks
  9. Jeremy Gaffney

See above, snuck in an answer while you typed.
    Sonntam and Axian like this.
  10. Gray

Gray Podcaster

Greetings Jeremy and what a cool post.

How long did it take you to decide to go public with it and who was the loudest voice in favor of it? Pat them and yourself on the back because I find this yet another example of the connection you're enabling between community and developer.
  11. Xpress

Xpress Cupcake

"The Quest Log has been polished and is now 46% prettier."

Isnt that too pretty?
    Zilvoran, ruff_ethereal and Kataryna like this.
  12. Jeremy Gaffney

You must not have seen the old Quest Log ;)
  13. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

Its nice to see all of the changes to class abilities, it really shows you guys are open to feedback directly on the skills and not dead set on "this skill is perfect"
  14. Jeremy Gaffney

Troy and I talked about yesterday AM and decided to do it. There was no dissension as I'm in charge of Carbine overall and he's in charge of community, so there's no one to argue with, so we just do it.

It would have been deployed yesterday and we would have looked supercool but he had to get on a plane to London for the EU Arkship yesterday afternoon. As it was he was talking with the heads of Wildstar Central and other Good Guy sites ASAP.
    Patrician, Zilvoran and Kataryna like this.
  15. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Does this mean if I'm in say Algoroc and I want to check out the layout of Northern Wilds in more detail or zoom in on some party members over in that zone I won't be able to?

Do Suit Modes for the stalker take an ability slot or do all stalkers have access to them similar to the stances that Warriors in WoW have?

Is this a "hold down the button to charge" type tier system or do you select a tier to put on your bar?

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, I'm curious as to why this was changed though

Has there been any concern about settler structures being used to grief other players?, for example erecting structures around critical NPCs, or to block paths. Perhaps you have already taken measures to ensure this is not a problem.

I think I'll stop there for now thank you in advance for answering any and all questions you can.
  16. Jeremy Gaffney

Sure, this is a dev-based beta (we need to see systems with lots of players around), not a marketing beta (i.e. a hype-building exercise or showing off the final product). As it is our later stage marketing betas will still involve getting player feedback and responding to it, because that's what we'll do after launch too. That's the value of going to a frequent patch schedule (GW2 is doing some similar stuff, unrelated to us).
    Sonntam, Zee, Zilvoran and 2 others like this.
  17. Phoenix

Phoenix Cupcake

The biggest thing that jumps out at my int he patch notes is the auto-attack.

Is it an auto-attack like WoW uses, where after the player initiates it it just continues to attack on its own. Or is it like a user initiated filler attack?
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  18. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Thanks for that. I have no idea how Reddit works or else I'd probably have seen it already.

I think I'm just trying to gauge what top level raid combat will be like. Limited action sets seem to fall into the 'build-combo-points-press-finisher-button' type rotation which you may as well macro and go to sleep. While I understand theres going to be a hell of a lot going on in a raid, a game like World of Warcraft or Rift manages to have both complex encounters and highly complex rotations/priority systems (anyone who's rocked a defilemancer on Akylios knows this to be true).
    Alverad likes this.
  19. Alexai

Alexai Cupcake

You guys are awesome for dealing with it in this particular way. Hopefully you can weed out the bad apples and prevent future leaks.

That said, is there any hope we could get a video or two of some Spellslinger combat? The ones I've found are older, and only last from 5-8 minutes. I played the demo at PAX, but I'd like to see more of how the class plays - especially with the abilities changed and added.
  20. Jeremy Gaffney

Haven't happened to use the scroll wheel in the CBT build or play a stalker so I can't say (sorry, honest answer! If I think about it while playing later I'll check it out)

The former. Feels pretty good in practice

Most of the stuff that has major collision is plug-based (i.e. fixed placement) for just this reason (also we can change terrain on plugs which lets us do more fun stuff). Most of the freeplaceable stuff has limited collision or can't be spawned near other settler placeables, preventing overspamming or blocking.

I won't talk a ton of details on settlers so we can save that for exclusive reveals later which gets us phat news coverage which gets us users which gets us money which gets us alcohol, which is an overall priority at Carbine.
    dpi209, Hephen, Rai and 19 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.