1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Official M30 Patch Note Q&A thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jeremy Gaffney, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

Since this Q&A is about the M30 patch notes, here's a question that is completely related to this note:
    ECONOMY

• Collectables are now usable after a failed loot attempt.

Are there any plans to implement a smart loot system? Where your chances of winning the item that dropped increase as you play more skillfully? or increase the drop chance of the item you need? depending on your role in the group.

Because it has happened so many times, weeks pass and just out of dumb luck, I don't loot anything. Either because something useless dropped or I just did not roll high enough.
  2. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

In today's content we don't do a lot of continent-spanning quests - we're usally focused on telling local stories or introducing lore in an area; I've talked with the content guys about doing a pass later in beta specificially adding in more of these, because they are cool - but really we should gather feedback on the local stuff IMO before layering in the lengthy stuff (because as a dev it's hard to maintain that). So no promises in stone, but we (Mike D and I at least) agree it's cool.

Also to get into elder game content we're intending to have some pretty epic chain quests like this. If that's not leaking too much.
  3. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

The class guys are better equipped to handle these, if one is nearby. Respect to Rift on their advancement stuff, IMO there were some good things in there.

There wasn't anything in the patch notes on that was there? Whew.

Er, philosophically, I agree, and probably so does Chris Behrens, our lead systems designer, also once from the City of Heroes team.

-jg
  4. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Hey there Mr. Gaffney long time no see!

No question here for right now, just wanted to say again how much I love the way you guys at Carbine handle community interaction. I hope your night is going pretty well, seems like you are really burning the midnight oil!
    Wreck likes this.
  5. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

Stalker / Warrior /Esper etc. have 4 primary stat (to cover the trinity). Is 4 primary stat = 4 choice or sometime you will have quest reward that is junk?
  6. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

Hello Jeremy, thanks for taking the time to answer folks questions, you and your team have been really great to listen to and it's made a huge impression on me as a veteran of the MMO genre.

With regards to stories being told, some of my fondest memories from MMOs such as Warcraft were some of the larger epic quests that were given as part of attunements and major world zones. The Onyxia quest chain comes to mind here, where you are working together with heroes of your faction and this in turn makes you feel a lot more awesome than just being a grunt for your faction as you get to be "big damn heroes".

We've seen a lot of really unique and colorful personalities from Wildstar characters so far, such as the Meet the Exiles and Meet the Dominion trailers, as well as the original intro trailer with Buck, Liara and Sarge.

Has the Wildstar story telling department focused on having faction/racial heroes such as these out in the world giving our characters quests/things to do/holocalls in the field, etc? One of the things that I enjoyed about playing Star Wars the Old Republic was that you got to see and do a lot of quests/missions for the faction leaders and big guns and it sort of makes you feel like you're a pretty darn big deal compared to some other games where you're just sort of along for the ride. Sometimes that ride is pretty fun, but if all the faction heroes do everything without you, it kind of feels like a missed opportunity to me.

That was just a thought I had while reading the notes and seeing that quest dialogue and text was being worked on and was wondering if you could share any thoughts without spoiling anything. :)

Thanks for your time!
  7. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I must admit that inventory space is one of my most common griefs about games, that game developers has direct influence on. So reading that particular line in the patch note brought joy to my heart. I feel 10 years younger now (yes, I am THAT easy).

I absolutely hate having x numbers of quest objects taking up the smaller and smaller number of free slots as my char gets elder - especially if the class setup takes carrying around multiple sets of gear for different specs/pve/pvp. At some stage there is also a need to carry around a number of consumables - maybe even double the number for different roles etc.

Sure it can be put into storage, but then travel times comes in. If I have to spend 10 minutes getting to and from a bank/house everytime I change role or queue up for pvp, it is highly unlikely anyone I could have a pre-made group with is still waiting.

The first time I saw how EQ2 had quests items be stored as quest updates in most cases rather than something actually taking up space I was thrilled - I had just come from EQ1 and a trade skill quest that was a challenge to inventory since I also had a lot of other soulbound crafting materials for future upgrades stocked up. EQ2 on the other hand may have overdone it after how maddening it was in EQ1. Current bags are around 44 slots and cheap to make, with 6 bags on char, 12 in bank, and 8 more in shared bank cross chars.

The problem with quests items is that sometimes the quests are not done imediatelly. Maybe they need a group, a season, a full raid, a higher skill in this or that ability, no matter the reason, I somehow always end up with a number of "to-do" quests with items taking up space. Some would just abandon the quest, but some quests are not that easy to abandon - what if all progress so far are deleted? what if it is only triggered under specific circumstances?

Then there is the problem of quest items getting into the bank, which I have seen happen again and again. I have been waiting numerous times for group mates having to fetch some obscure thing in the bank, that they were pretty clueless about.

Quest items definitly needs to be stored with the quest journal or a quest bag, if nothing else for the peace of mind of people doing quests in groups, it is hard enough to keep people together as it is.

I sincerely hope that is something you will keep in game permanently.

As for trash loot... it is only as boring as the people at Carbine Studio decides to make it. EQ2 has exquisite trash, that has more value at the vendor than common trash and a small xp bonus when getting it the first time. WoW has some funny named trash books -- granted, I would love to see normal trash limited to a not so broad range of items, or a talent to break it down into different types of dusts that crafting npc are interested in as turnin/vendoring.

Trash loot is something to vendor as soon as you can, but nothing should prevent you from using it for some silly thing, updates upon loot but vendorable immediately thereafter, like achievements for looting all pieces of trash underwear named after everyone, who has been part of Canbine Studios during development, as an example, with a tool tip / "developement lore tag", that tells about the persons lore with Carbine Studios, sort of speak.

Thats said, I do like both SWTOR and Rift for having one-click options to sell all grey junk. Rift has it on vendor window, SWTOR through sending the companion off to sell it. WoW has it through addons - and if Wildstar does not have it, I sure hope the API supports the making of a addon for it.

ewww sorry about the text wall, I actually started this post for a question, but *smurf* if I remember what it was :alien:
  8. Bunjin

Bunjin New Cupcake

I just signed up here to thank you guys and gals at Carbine Studios, although i cant describe with words how thankfull i am.
    Jeremy you are an awesome smart guy!

Greetings from germany to you all and have a nice day/week/life. ;)
  9. Mat'hir Uth Gan

Mat'hir Uth Gan Cupcake-About-Town

Rift did it wrong, Everquest did it right. Back on page 10 of this thread you talked about your history and knowledge of EQ. One of the many things that made that game remarkable was that it allowed the player a personal connection with his character. The races, classes, and deity selection mattered in every conceivable way from racial benefits and faction, to very specific defined roles, as well as quest uniqueness. Rift, which was a fun game, was horrific for longevity because all people could be all roles with the click of a button. There was no class individuality, there was nothing that made you unique and stand out. It was a horrible design decision. I quit after 3 months because my character was just like everyone else. The game was fun, but so was GW2, and I quit that after 3 months too. All these recent MMOs, pretty much everything after Vanilla WoW, have been terrible because they are all casual and fail to connect with the player. Allowing the player all options on one character through dual spec's or other godawful design theories is what is killing these games. The design is what makes people lose interest after 3 months. Surely you can see this.

In my mind, there have been two flawless MMOs. Everquest and Warcraft. Warcraft pretty much copied everything about Everquest in terms of class and race uniqueness, but added updated combat and graphics, and lots of quests. WoW was more EQ than EQ2 was, which was why EQ2 failed at launch.

There is a formula for an MMO that is addicting to people. It's class, race, quest individuality. It's making your character unique and matter within the game world. It's being in demand in the game world because of the choices you've made, which others have not and can not, such as choosing to be a tank from the onset. It's not having a very small race and class selection, starting all races in two main hubs (EQ2 tried this and failed), and it's not having dual spec options to allow all classes the ability to do different roles at the touch of a button.

I hope WildStar doesn't make the same failed design decisions that all the recent MMOs have made. "Fun" is great, but a central philosophy of "fun" won't keep players around after a couple months. The formula to be successful is out there, just do the extra work, and emulate what made EQ and WoW special. I know Titan is going to be a Sci-Fi MMO, and I know EQ3 is trying to launch at the end of this year, so you've got the biggest competition of all time and probably don't want to be redundant in design, but you still have to make a game that addicts people. And casual design based MMOs have never done that yet.
    ruff_ethereal and Malorak like this.
  10. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

He was talking about the planar attunement system, not the game in general. It was a something similar to AA that let you continue to get small stat bonuses from xp after you hit 50.
  11. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Not really about the leaked content but are you guys going to be at PAX AU?
  12. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cupcake

They have plenty of combat capability. Imagine their skill list! From weakest to strongest.
    1:drop pocket lint
    2:drop dime
    3:drop penny
    4:drop nickel
    5:drop quarter
    6:drop random rock
    See all the damage you could do if you work on your aiming stats?
  13. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cupcake

WoW Vortex Pinnacle final boss. So many wipes because they either wouldn't jump, or messed up the timing.
    Malorak likes this.
  14. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cupcake

The only thing leaked in the patch notes was that scanning something that disappeared wouldn't give you instant credit. No clue how that goes into it. On the other hand, you yourself gave us extra info on the scientist with your "No, but true story: I was in that area in Algoroc with the Loftite (blue floating crystals which project a low-gravity zone). I was a scientist (who can study those crystals to double the jump height). I found a discovery which created a 2x jump buff on me."
    The class page for spellslinger says that healing is controlled by wisdom, but your patch notes say that it was magic and changed to will. As for my question, has will replaced wisdom as a stat?
  15. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

guess no info on sittable chairs, must not have been part of the interactivity errors they were having. I do really hope they'll include them.
  16. Brightag

Brightag Cupcake

That response is so wrong. I'm left to make of it what I will.:laugh:

Very well. You are correct. It wasn't in the patch notes. I won't pursue it. For now. :cautious:
  17. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

I just found out that an actual Carbine person if I may call you so with my bad English skills is among us.

Big cred' for that, this is amazing.

I'd love to ask you alot, but I only have one question-context...Which is about the LMA, the limited action bars.

Why did you reduce them to 7? Isn't this a little harsh? I haven't played the game yet, but when I played other MMO's I tanked with about 10-12 abilities...

Which means:
    • Threat Generation (2-3, if not more)
    • Taunt (1)
    • Debuffs (depends)
    • Buffs (For y0u and other persons)
    • And defensive Cooldowns
    How do you plan on making tanking possible with only 7 buttons?

Also: How do you use items? I bet there's some sort of item you'll use every now and then, like health potions, food or even bombs to deal damage with.

...How do you handle these? Do they have an extra bar?

Thanks for answering right ahead and have a great day!
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  18. RedShift

RedShift New Cupcake

Hello Mr. Gaffney,

I have a few questions that build on some others that were asked: will achievements be account wide or per character, and if settlers can bring in new quests to a hub, are you worried that, down the road when lower zones are less populated, new players could miss out on these quests without even knowing it?

Thanks!
    iiFrank and Phoenix like this.
  19. Logon

Logon New Cupcake

I really want to know if you are going to add turnanimations when you turn right or left on the spot, in the videos it looks pretty funky when you turn without moving your feet.
  20. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

In the words of the age-old Internet adage: "Pix or it didn't happen." ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.