1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Official M30 Patch Note Q&A thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jeremy Gaffney, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

It doesn't have to be! I know someone who has a rock collection in WoW. And I'll never forget the first time I pick-pocketed a "Steamy Romance Novel", and the fun I had with it afterwards. :p

(Thanks for your input to the Community btw)
    Sonntam and ruff_ethereal like this.
  2. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

With most damage being avoidable you really shouldn't need "defensive cooldowns". The skill of a tank in a game like this is more about knowing which hits to take and which ones to dodge, or at least staggering them.

Defensive cooldowns are basically already there with the dodging system. They represent the same exact thing.
  3. Armedcombat

Armedcombat New Cupcake

Sup brah,

I've been watching the game closely since 2k11, and I like how it has changed dramatically (positively) since then, and feels less generic.

I'm a person who's not that keen on questing, and adventures but do like the occasional raid or two. I'm a PvPer by heart, and love to get into people's faces. I like World PvP and griefing (don't judge me, bro), but properly balanced objective-instanced based map like Vanilla Alterac Valley is what I love the most (alliance bridge not counting). You just confirmed that access to arena has been lowered just for this beta, which probably means it's an elder-game thing. War plots seem to be instanced and catered for the ones at the level cap as well. Does this mean that I'll have to play the game 150 hours to level up to 50, so I can finally experience some proper PvP in the game?

Also, please for the love of god, either have the same type of gear drop in both PvE and PvP so it's all balanced, or don't let PvE gear be viable in PvP or the other way around.

I think at least the first question is quite relevant to the patch notes.
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

In my opinion that is a horribly fraudulent comparison of cause and effect. EQ barely had any competition for years, was highly established with multiple xpac content when it finally happened, while Rift had competition from both new and old games from day one, despite a larger player pool to pick from.

Blaming the differences on one feature while comparing two incomparable games...there is too many things to look at besides one feature!

Rifts soul system is the main reason why I keep comming back to Rift for a month or two. I love the flexibility of the class system. Not being stuck in long queues and being dependent on the same limited number of tank/heal roles queuing up is a boon for grouping for the majority.

Granted, someone, who prefer to play a role usually in demand, may feel it more fruitfull and satisfying to play a game, where roles and abilities is set in stone, so they never have a problem getting a group and do not have to compete with group role switchers and get that community hero role for being the goto tank/heals.

The rest of us gets more out of a flexible role system, not least for group content. The games group content will always require more healers and tanks to dps ratio than the games raid content, so having especially dps able to switch to a tank/heal role for group content makes a more rounded game.

One thing EQ did very well was making roles matter. Having main tanks, offtanks, main assist, cc'ers, pullers, healers, offhealers. I miss some of those role specific assignments never used anymore, like tag pullers and more than maybe one offtank/main assist.

However, a multispec system does not prevent having it.

The making of the group/raid content does.

I am not saying EQ was a bad game, I enjoyed top end raiding for a couple of years before real life caught up with me, and completing my character in everything was always on the agenda.

But if EQ had come out the same year as Rift, and we imagined they had the same technical/knowhow framework to pull on... would they had ended up much better than Rift or any other MMO after 2006? I highly doubt it.
  5. Twiggster

Twiggster New Cupcake

I imagine myself being a settler in this game. In other mmos, I love going to the starting zones to help out others with questions about the game. I know that might be strange for some of you but that is one other the many social interactions MMOs offer. There is a certain convenience that follows this function, in SWTOR there was a button that you could purchase through your legacy that allowed you to instantly travel to the capital world this had a CD this was effective and didn't cost anything extra after you purchased it.

If Carbine can allow players that are dedicated to the settlers path and give them the ability to update the quests on one board. Allowing them to have different tabs that can refresh the quest boards in different towns from one board would be a great convenience, or give settlers a travel pass to these towns they created. In the end it is all about convenience and how engaging the path is if I have to constantly spend cash on traveling back to places just to keep up with them I might abandon them cause I can see this cutting into my time raiding or pvping.

There is also the point that can be made, that you wont be the only settler and maybe it is up to the new players that have that path to fill in for you. Another thing they can do would be to notify you that this new player, settler, wants to fill in for you and take care of your lot, or they can add a universal quest board hub that I mentioned earlier. What I really want is having the ability to go back to an area and look at a town that I created and see it still up and running with players using its resources, and know that my time and effort to create that place was worth it.
  6. SiegaPlays

I found it a highly interesting response.
  7. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

I recall on reading something about how tanking would be in the game and that was Cooldown-management, aggro management and dodging...For all that (plus a good amount of other boss-depending mechanics) I find 7 slots to be a little lackluster IMO.
  8. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

Managing two to three 3-10 minute cooldowns plus running through a mind-numbing "rotation" in other MMOs doesn't take much skill, imo.

Managing seven abilities that have actual effects tied to them that need to be used at a specific time, while having to actively move and manage a dodge-resource plus reacting to telegraphs from both healers and the boss.....yeah guess I see your point.

**edit** Also wanted to point out that adding in something as simple as "interrupt armor" where your abilities can actually affect the bosses under these conditions adds in yet another level of intricacy and teamwork. I can see in most pugs this won't be paid much mind but in skilled groups coordinating your use of specific debuffs to remove the armor and timing when to use a stun/silence while it's down could change an encounter from hard to rather easy.

IE: Burn the shield before he's going to cast his big spell...then wait and interrupt it when he telegraphs it.
  9. Brightag

Brightag Cupcake

So did I. It made me laugh as it came across as "I can't confirm or deny the existence of such feature, but please feel free to discuss it while I tease you with the knowledge that our lead systems designer worked on the City of Heroes team - Signed JG".
  10. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Active mitigation.

WoW currently rolls with active mitigation AKA "don't let yourself be afk infight, your damage will be transformed into some sort of surviveability" which I really approve of.

Instead of thinking "Yeah I could go AFK now that I have aggro" or "Lol now only to dodge some stuff" you could actually do damage to mitigate damage. You can spam it to have high MPS (mitigation per second, obviously) or you can stack your ressource up and then use the shield all at once to avoid taking very hard hits/spells.

While Wildstar will be more revolved around the 3 things I mentioned.
    And to that I'd like some more damage spells than just "hit 1, hit 2 with bleed, hit 3 with my shield". Because I WANT to be very tanky I will have to either give up some huge damage mitigation or give up all my damage abilities, and from what I've heard it is way harder to maintain aggro in Wildstar than in i.E WoW where one AoE spell's enough for a very long time...(which is retarded)

So I'll push 2-3 buttons for damage, and as a good tank I'll take the jumping ability and a taunt with me (the first being official, the 2nd assumption.) so I have 2 buttons left for defense.

W* wants me to have AWESOME combat and not the 1-2-3 combat...Well...I will have exactly that as I need to jump in, maybe jump to an add from time to time and depending on the encounter but otherwise I'll stand infront of the boss, move out of voidzones and do other stuff while pressing 1-2-3. It will come down to pressing only max. 4 buttons for MY idea of a build as I'd like to be a good tank and provide a sturdy wall for my healers instead of someone with more HP and that's it.

I'm very curious about how this will be managed to stay exciting yet not too easy/OP. I don't want to hate, I was giving my opinion. Sorry if my post sounded offensive to the game as in "LOL 7 BUTTONS WHAT IS THIS MY LITTLE PONY THE GAME? LOL STOOPID GEME IS STOOPID"

I love the ideas that are behind Wildstar and I'd just love this to be the next big thing, while still bringing enjoyment to me as an individual.

Peace out, yo.
    ruff_ethereal and Charb like this.
  11. Charb

Charb New Cupcake

Hello there Mr G

Have you given any thought about ''smart traveling'' without streamlining travel paths,making it comfortable but not too easy? Personally i think having a travel path/master/vehicule in every single ''village'' ''camp'' etc to be quite annoying.

It's nice to be able to travel on foot/mount for quite a while to reach certain destinations,camps or cities while enjoying and feeling more immersed in Wildstar. I think that would make the game more interesting especially for PvP servers,more chances to interact with other adventurers.

Which brings me to flying mounts.

Are you guys trying to find a way to disable flying mounts or make riding them more ''challenging'' or even ''taxing'' in certain zones? That would be unprecedented and cool! Say flux vortex thingy,like the one in (Avatar) movie or flight problems due to high gravity-areas etc. Again,especially for PvP areas,not being able to fly too high for example (encourages the feeling of vulnerability,danger,chance of being targeted at any given time by other players and dismounted etc) I mean the possibilities would be endless in a Sci Fi mmorpg,litteraly,thus creating really HOT ''Hot zones'' in Wildstar.

ps: Quoting you on the most recent patch update Q&A

''Over time, players are like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park and “life will find a way” – people will find the most trivial ways to rush through the levelling content and get to the elder games.''

Would be nice to see '' Life finds a way '' achievement upon reaching cap level. :D

Good luck with Wildstar,keep up the great work-and thanks for taking the time to read this!

now...Giefff uss Betaaahhhhh Cupcake! ^-^
    Malorak likes this.
  12. Mat'hir Uth Gan

Mat'hir Uth Gan Cupcake-About-Town

Exactly. I didn't leave Everquest for five years. I didn't leave Warcraft for four years. We're a different target market. I want one game that I love and I'll pay a fee every month for as long as it remains great. I won't try other games, I'll be happy that I found the one I love.

There's no coming back for a month or two here and there for me. It's all or nothing, and there are a lot of gamers like me just waiting for the next EQ or WoW to actually come out. EQ2 was vastly disappointing, but WoW saved that era of gaming. Vanguard had everything to be great except decent coding and realistic expectations for where technology would be, thus it was unplayable and never got finished. So, still we wait in this era. Rift, SWTOR, and GW2 failed to connect emotionally with players, they were all 100% casual solo-based MMOs. Max level in a month, geared out and raids done in two. Logging in sporadically wishing these games were more like EQ or Vanilla WoW until quitting for good in month 3. And it's not just me. The massive exodus's are charted in each of these new releases.

And if developers want to know why, all they have to do is understand that nobody feels connected to a character that is not unique, is not special, has no ability to earn true renown, and lives in a gaming world that is predominantly solo-based, and thus lacking the social connections games like EQ centered their entire gaming experience around. In these current games, I don't need you and you don't need me. I'll go solo, swap specs to whatever I need, and play all alone in a supposed online game. Being anti-social is a lot easier than being social, and when games foster a solo play experience, people will take the path of least resistence. In the end though, we all want to be social and play in a social game, we just want the game to make us do it, so we don't feel so strange trying to make connections on an online world. EQ did this flawlessly. Recent games don't even do it at all. There's optional dungeons that aren't even missed because gear is so easy to get and leveling is so fast. In EQ you had to have a full group just to kill orcs at level 8 in Oasis or Crushbone. And because you had to do it, everyone made the best of it, and chatted (by typing!) and treating each other with respect. And before you knew it, friends for the next 5 years were made and future guilds were formed.

Anyway, that's enough out of me. WildStar has me interested because they seem to be copying things from early Warcraft. That's good. Specifically the raiding. What has me worried is they seem to be copying things from GW2. That's bad. Specifially the casual/solo based thempark journey. We all know the definition of insanity. After five or six years now, I'm reaching the conclusion that all game developers are in such a state.

Well, EQ3 is coming out around the same time as WildStar, so we'll what happens. They're making EQ3 just like EQ1. Full sandbox. WildStar sounds like it will have some similarities to Rift. Full themepark. So, that theoretical showdown should happen.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  13. SiegaPlays

Except Wildstar is not full themepark. it is supposed to be more of a hybrid.

I found several games I love. Unfortunately I can not merge them into one game that has everything I want :rolleyes:
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. Crummy Chummy

Crummy Chummy New Cupcake

I agree with this for sure. Not bashing WoW at all but just from doing a few dungeons, I would gain 2-3 levels, and out-level whatever zone I was in. If I had stopped doing dungeons, I wouldn't have been able to get the best loot and would've had to settle for crappy quest greens. Hopefully the leveling in WildStar lets you enjoying questing along with a couple dungeon runs here and there.
  15. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Late to the party, the few questions I had, have been answered :p.
    Just wanted to say thanks :). Never followed a game that closely pre-launch and it's turning out to be a wonderful experience.

...can't get that candle out of my head now....

[​IMG]
    spencerBAXLEY, Rai, Zilvoran and 2 others like this.
  16. Grug

Grug New Cupcake

I wonder if any questions will get answered tonight.

Also, I laughed at "Pope-atelli" in today's update.
  17. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

There's world PVP on servers flagged as such, and you can flag yourself to PVP on carebear servers.

We intend mix up the reward streams a bit. Don't forget, you have a whole warplot to outfit, all the stuff for that has to drop somewhere. Like capturing raid bosses and then killing your enemies with them.

But since that's large group based that means you can have your raiding part of your guild helping to outfit the PVP part of the guild, or the warplots guys can unlock raid portal or buffing plugs for their houses usable by their raiding buds, so not all of the focus is just on your gear any more.
    Sonntam likes this.
  18. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

LOL!
    Sonntam likes this.
  19. fallenight

fallenight New Cupcake

So in the patch notes durability is mentioned but is it called that in game i figured for a wildstary kind of term you call it charge or something with all the chips and amps that crafting and slots on the items.
    Crow likes this.
  20. Crow

Crow Cupcake

Would ruggedness be acceptable? :)
    Fate Flyer, Rai and Kataryna like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.