1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Official M30 Patch Note Q&A thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jeremy Gaffney, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

What was the turn around on these patch notes? Are they from changes from the time since you started the Beta?​
    If that is the case: that is an impressive turn around on bugs!​
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  2. Mianhe

Mianhe New Cupcake

Really interesting stuff in the patch notes, can't wait to see the final product once it comes out!
  3. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

I am thrilled to hear that there's still a focus on giving every stat value for every class. I know it's not directly related to the patch notes, so I'll just say that I'd love to see more info on the hows and whys of that (Seeing as how most games seem to set 1 primary stat for a class + Stamina, and the rest are a waste).
  4. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

We intend to eventually include all habitable countries into various phases of beta, and also Australia.

We won't necessarily colocate servers in all areas though (sometimes we'll be testing latency). Our intent is not to exclude, though. Mostly we'll be removing current restrictions if nothing else.

A note: later stages of beta are about two things: Hitting new peak concurrency ratings (to see what systems break) and building hype (well, all stages are also about feedback). We weren't really trying to build hype up yet, just get enough buzz to have a well-populated beta (hype comes later). So we accidentally got 220K+ beta applicants. Woops.

So sorry for disappointments on not being in this early stage beta, we weren't trying to hook you in - doing so was "friendly fire". We only were shooting for like 20K applicants, that would have been fine for now.

When we do things later like, I don't know, buy our first ad or actually spend money on the hype machine, things will presumably get really crazy. We'll try to do well by our early adopters.

Don't let that stop anyone from going out and revving up the hype with us, though: let's send this puppy viral.
    Sonntam, Rai, Zee and 14 others like this.
  5. Sylvan

Sylvan New Cupcake

I was saddened when I found out about the leak and even more so about the site that prides itself in hosting them. I have seen from past experience the pain these leaks can be especially considering most of the info is never relevant to people who aren't playing.

When you guys released it all publicly I sat here clapping, it truly was a brilliant decision. I hope we don't see any more!

The WildStar community is awesome and the leak was actually quite on the down low, I only found it via reddit not one tweet did I notice with it. (Go community!)

Over at my site there will never be any leaked information displayed or discussed on the comments or the soon to come forums because I made the site FOR WildStar not to hurt it...

All the questions I have were answered previously! Stay awesome.
  6. Narthen

Narthen Cupcake

Gotcha...wasn't sure that you'd be able to give an answer this early, was just curious...
  7. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

A question: Would you mind/can you clear up something regarding the Spellslinger,
    What do you mean each tier has it's own cooldown, would Tier 1 CD be totally seperate from the Tier 4? Such that I could cast a T4 CS and shoot 2 T2 CS's with a couple of T1s mixed in before I shoot another T4?
  8. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

Was kinda sad to see this go by the way side. Is the there still a random loot reward feature? Seemed like a fun mechanic.

And thanks for doing this Q&A its absolutely amazing that you guys are taking time out of your busy schedules to do something like this.
  9. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

My guess would be the ability as a whole only has one cooldown, but the length is dependent on how powerful it was when you shot it. If you shoot it weak, it has a faster CD. Just an assumption though.
  10. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks heaps for the response. And personally, I'm perfectly fine without oceanic servers, though I'll leave that discussion to a thread that someone started.

I must say, I'm greatly pleased that you've acknowledged these concerns so promptly; Bioware remained silent on whether or not Australia would be let into the beta, or even launch here at the same time as America/the EU. When a game journalist informed us that Australia wouldn't see a release for months after the official release, many forumers jumped on her and Bioware (or EA, can't remember) dismissed this as a rumour. When it was finally revealed that we were excluded from the initial launch only when pre-orders went live, there was no official word on the fate of Australia for 5 days and something like 14 threads (that is, threads that were closed and re-opened due to numerous posts). Needless to say, many of us were very, very angry and lost a great deal of respect for the game as a whole.

Anyway, again, I appreciate your quick answer and am happy that we're being acknowledged as more than a penal colony :).

Edit:
    and hey, our country is totally habitable! Mostly. Along some of the coast. Where you won't get bitten by poisonous creatures. Or eaten by wildlife. Or... Ok, yeah, that was totally warranted.
    Zilvoran, Bisqquit, Luciamund and 3 others like this.
  11. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

Thank you, this shows a well thought out classy way of dealing with this problem.
  12. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

See, this is what I like about Carbine. There was leak in regards to patch notes. Instead of hushing up every site that leaked it (I can understand that in regards to sites that don't shut down NDA breaching material), they posted it officially to their website and here at WildStar Central to get feedback from us. Just want to say thank you for being so open and willing to listen to your player base, it's very refreshing to see.
  13. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

That makes sense. Would be interesting to see how you wanted to play it out come nuke phases fast and dirty, if you stacked crit chance. Or, longer CD if you stack a crit multiplier...hmmm...
  14. Brenner

Brenner Cupcake-About-Town

Gaffney,

My honest condolences for the unfortunate leak. Though we certainly enjoy seeing what you have released to us to sate our love for WildStar for a little bit, I know there are many of us who wished it could have stayed perfectly silent. If nothing else, however, the respect for Carbine only continues to grow with each outreach to your community.

Most of my other questions have been answered, but I am curious about the change to the mount gold cost. I remember back in the early days of WoW, it was originally very difficult to earn enough money to afford your mount when you were able to get the skills to use it. It made it a significant achievement, sure, but was also very frustrating. Without a reference of the significance of 30g, is this going to be the case for your first mount here or will I be able to proudly pick one up right away by just questing my way there?

As the author of the Scowling Cassian I was lucky that most of the comments I get on my articles run through the amazing fansite WildStar-roleplay.com and I was unlikely to be a place to facilitate leaks so instead I would like to speak on their behalf. Upon the announcement of beta, they immediately put their foot down on the NDA and were met with near unanimous support from all our members. No matter how much they wanted to see more WildStar, they had no intention of breaking the trust we have established.
    I know it has been some time since they've heard from you, back when you asked the opinions of the roleplaying community on reddit awhile ago and I think it would really be amazing if you could stop by for a nod and a wink.

Regardless we wish the best of luck for a smooth (as possible) beta! Keep up the fantastic work guys!
    Patrician likes this.
  15. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

All this just brings up one question for me....ok two. Why did you decide to do any sort of auto attack? They seem boring.

Second, if the beta community is really against them would they be taken out at this point of the process, or are some things set in stone?
  16. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I just loved your response. Your response was so quick,well thought out, positive and you really seem interested in having a dialogue with the community. I can't tell you how much I respect the way you at Carbine treat all of us.

I noticed in the patch notes that characters have 1 stat attribute for Assault Power for DPS and one for Support. Will other stat attributes be important to increase as well for each class?

I will try to sneak in one other question not related to the patch notes. Recently you mentioned wanting classes to have flexibility to play and switch to different group roles. Do you plan on giving characters multiple saved roles (like the 6 you get in Rift or the dual specs from WoW)? If so can you explain your philosophy and thought process. Thanks, its the why and the thought process behind your answers that I love so much more than the yes or no answer, One of the many reasons I am so excited abut Wildstar.

Thanks again for the great response and for giving us the extra treat in the patch notes and question and answer. I hope you can catch and teach the leaker a lesson.
  17. NexusPetopia

NexusPetopia New Cupcake

I can't believe people find it okay to post information that by law shouldnt be posted.
    They do know WildStar could sue them if they wished!!

~~ However I'm Glad to see the Devs act the way they have, unlike any thing I've seen from any other MMO.
  18. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

Hey Gaff,

I see the note for the Need/Greed update, will classes be able to Need/Greed items and weapons that are not for their class? Or will they be restricted in that regard?
    Blankspace and Arawulf like this.
  19. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

I'm also curious as to why an auto-attack was implemented. Can you elaborate on that Mr. Gaffney? Also thank you for spending time with us and answering our questions.
    BrokSamson likes this.
  20. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

You guys pretty much got my garunteed purchase of the game now because of how you reacted to this. It was reasonable, thought out, and REALLY human. Most companies would have cracked down by simply banning most of their beta testers or something and redrawing, knowing they'd have a massive pool to do so with. So kudos to you guys. Well played!

General:
    1) Glad to hear about the inventory. Good set up, and really nice that crafting mats are automatically getting their own inventory space.
    2) Lower level experience to make the pacing longer lasting is always good news in my book. I hope that it pans out! Avoid what wow did with making their game super fast paced, MMOs are more about the journey than the destination after all!

UI- Crafting:
    1) I am SUPER interested in how crafting looks to be turning out! I mean, this is REALLY cool. It sorta sounds like you guys are handling it more as a minecrafty type builder set up (kinda like the secret world) than the way Guild Wars did it, is this the case? Or are you guys not ready to speak about it?
    2) What are compass and tier-filters?
    3) Are subrecipes like the ones in Saga of Ryzom? Where you build a base object (say: Pants) then craft in the various buffs you're able to craft?
    4) WHAT IS THIS TECH TREE?! O_O I have -never- heard of a tech tree being used in an MMO before (or if I have, I've forgotten). I REALLY want to know about this!
    5) Allowing 'recrafting' sounds like a super cool idea. Especially if there's any randomization in the process. For example, if I craft something and it has a chance to gain one of several skills, I can either recraft it, making that same exact skill again, or just roll the craft button again, and then roll the dice once more. If that's not what you mean, and it's just 'you invented something, now make more of it' that's pretty rad too.
    6) Hot/Cold feedback? Like when playing that hide and seek type game where you're trying to figure out if you're told whether you're close or far from something?

Classes:
    1) That tethering mechanic sounds REALLY cool.
    2) How does blind work when applied to players? Do we get some kind of visual effect? or are we just talking an accuracy reduction? Cause it'd be VERY cool if we had like, this big goopy black splash across the screen, between our UI and the world, clogging our view, and rather than having some little cool down, it slowly drips and clears away. But probably too much work.
    3) Paths get special combat abilities like settler turrets? Or is that something we can build that will auto defend settlements from mob attacks?
    4) I'm not going to comment on classes, a lot of it sounds really cool, but I can't actually tell unless I could play.

Social:
    1) Wordfilters? like for stuff that needs to be censored so people aren't going to name their guild Poopsmell Zoolord (or worse by god!) and such?

Paths:
    1) Settler Batsignals? The wildstar wednesday for the settlers and scientists cannot come soon enough I'm telling you!
    2) Bug fixes are always good. And like that the settler's scaffolds will knock people out of the way, even in buildings that might be mostly open, it'd kinda suck to get caught in one. So a knock back and collision detection is a classy way of handling it.

Economy:
    1) "Due to planetwide economic factors, crafters will need to purchase cost materials on a recipe by recipe basis from a crafting vendor"
    Okay, I am VERY leery of this requirement... very leery indeed. I hate it when the game forces me to buy really expensive materials to do my crafting... Rift did it all the time, and I basically never crafted in it because of that. If the testing shows tons of people still crafting despite that, then obviously my fears are unfounded.
    (also you got a bunch of duplicates in the economy section of the patch notes, everything after "Additives are now found only on vendors.")

That's what I got from all of this. I know you can't respond to a lot of this, or even most of it, right away, but hopefully it'll help!

edit: Oh wow, got pushed back two pages from when I started posting. Ouch. Sorry for any redundant observations or questions
    Mudfin, Zilvoran and ruff_ethereal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.