1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Official M30 Patch Note Q&A thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jeremy Gaffney, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shu

Shu Cupcake

It's really great that you guys are basically on the offensive with these leaking scum bags. I love seeing a studio stand up and rub it in the faces of the rebels. :)
  2. John

John "That" Cupcake

"Public Events now have summary screens available once completed, showing stats for everyone who participated, as well as rewards earned."

Awesome feature.

"Fixed a bug that was causing the ability to reduce threat rather than generate threat."

General question about threat, how big a role do you envision it playing in group content? More of a "its there but I don't really have to pay attention to it" mechanic, or more tightly tuned to where its a big part of gameplay?
  3. Clickbeast

Clickbeast Cupcake

I didn't want to quote all of this guy's posts, but I think he has some pretty good discussion points. Hopefully the devs will still throw around a few answers
  4. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

The Loot Wheel mechanic wasn't removed, types of rewards were removed from the wheel, to be later re-added as guaranteed rewards granted in addition to whatever random thing you get from the wheel.
  5. cecilandblues

cecilandblues Cupcake

I'm reading those quotes as air-quotes These aren't auto attacks, they are...you know... "auto attacks" :cautious:

I interpret it as a simple basic attack that does not consume or generate a resource but triggers a GCD. Something to do when there isn't something else to be done, a really basic filler available to all classes to use as needed.

My concern about this note is less about what it is, and more about where it is. Doesn't RMB control mouse look? I'd hate to go to rotate my facing and end up shooting off a pistol shot into a pack of monsters or boss that my group wasn't ready to fight.
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  6. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

First, Jeremy, I'd like to say that not only has Carbine and its community team impressed me in the short time I've been here, but I've been completely flabbergastedly astounded by the sheer amount of pluck you guys have shown with how you are handling this situation. I'd like to note that I'm not easily impressed and if we ever meet up for a drink or whatever, you can hear my drunken rant as to why. But back on topic, you've turned this around magnificently and as a mod for WSC I'd like to note to you that we're getting people registering here just to say how impressed they are with you. So, uh, well done.

Now back on topic:
    I noticed this note about death and resurrection:
    This touches upon something I've been wondering for a while: Does this confirm that there is a resurrection ability of some form, or is there an entirely different system involved (ala GW2)? Is it possible for you to elaborate on this whole dance of death, resurrection and who gets to do it and how?
  7. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

OH! That reminds me. There's this raging debate you might be able to put a rest too.

Will /say, /yell, /emote be able to communicate between Exiles and dominion? Is it something you guys are even considering playing around with? Or are you taking the WoW method and just having everybody (immersion breakingly given NPCs won't have the same barriers) sound like gibberish to members of the opposite faction?
    Mudfin likes this.
  8. moneda

I anticipate they'll handle it the same way WoW does. You can use your RMB to turn your camera, by holding it down, or you can commence auto-attack swings by simply clicking.

I took it to mean we'll be able to choose to not be resurrected in the exact same spot in which we died, causing us to die again immediately, and was overjoyed. :laugh:
    cecilandblues likes this.
  9. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

That particular set of patch notes is 8 weeks of work, and in the notes are only the things that are player-facing (3 zones right now, and 4 classes, etc.). The dev version of the patch notes is 124 single-spaced pages and looks like this:

Paths
    · PASS FX-43148 - Scavenger hunts now display objective arrows for the closest clue area, rather than a single large radius for the entire mission.
    · · PASS FX-54300 - Fixed a bug where Settler "bat-signals" were not always appearing in all phases.
    · Cannot test (tools: Ravel) FX-19953 - Added a method for design to call back all Settler improvements.
    · Cannot test (tools: Path Editor) FX-19938 - Settler hub payoffs will now have a minimum time that they remain available after being unlocked.
    · PASS FX-39674 - The UI will now tell Settlers which improvements must be built to unlock secondary improvements.
    · PASS FX-53948 - Settler depots now appear on the minimap when they are nearby.
    · PASS FX-42564 - Settler Infrastructure scaffolding now has collision and a knockback when the building begins.

With pass/fail notes from QA, internal asset tracking numbers, and then the human readable version. So picture 100-something more pages of all that. We remove internal tools stuff and the areas that aren't accessible in beta (most of it right now, we've enabled like 20-something hours of content)

We're now on 5 week milestones, but the team has grown and the machine is more efficient so probably it's about the same amount of changes now in a 5 week window, but we'll see. CBT2 build locks next week as I recall, then CBT3 work begins. Some fixes we hotfix into CBT1 immediately, some goes into CBT2, many are queued for CBT3. We have a group called the Rapid Response Team which makes the call on what gets in at what stage.
    Sonntam, Rai, Zilvoran and 7 others like this.
  10. Mouseknuckle

Mouseknuckle Cupcake

Funny I didn't plan on reading the patch notes till after I saw this Q&A... Carbine playing it smooth as always. But back to the matter at hand:

Is this so you can right click to use your class specific ability or is it the general 'auto-attack'. If this is the latter does it have a CD associated with it? Kinda like attack speed that is generally tied in that type of combat.

Is architect a name of a profession?

Edit: And thank you for your time Mista Gaffer.
  11. Jeremy Gaffney

I'll speak to this philosophically: If it's a big part of the gameplay it'll be part of the default UI (at least when you're in a group/raid). The exact role of it is being tuned as we do more elder game tests.
    Sonntam and Vader like this.
  12. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

Few questions. For the new "auto-attack," am I correct in reading that as "filler skill" as in something with no (other than global) CD, consumes no resources, weak skill to be used when all else is on CD? If this is on RMB, can we not use RMB to turn the camera and character at the same time like in WoW? Can it be moved to elsewhere on a user by user basis?

Not patch note related, but beta related: In the new TB video from yesterday there was mention that "we are currently in closed beta" and that a few thousand more invites were going out in April. This really confuses me since he says in part one that this was recorded at PAX, during which you were not in closed beta. Can you clarify that comment? Was that just a slip of the tongue and you meant internal testing and the "few thousand" invites was the waves we've already seen or is that actual correct current info somehow given weeks in advance of it becoming true?
  13. Jeremy Gaffney

Right click: This is embarrassing re: the right click adds, but I actually didn't notice it in my most recent playsessions because I have been using the main abilities, and past gameplay has trained me into playing that way. That's part of why we will keep adding new beta testers without a lot of play history - f'rinstance our F&F guys really didn't like slowing down the XP curve necessarily, but the new CBT players didn't (so far) consider it slow at all because they didn't have the previous context. That's why you need a steady stream of new folks.

Architect: Unrevealed at this time, see previous comment on reveals/press/users/money/alcohol.
    Sonntam, Mudfin and Evab like this.
  14. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

I just stopped in to post this:

[​IMG]

I love you guys... and cosmetic slots at start sounds lovely.

*wanders off to check email*
  15. Jeremy Gaffney

Up to our PVP team. I've argued in the past that it's not gibberish, but rather turns into random insults about your parentage. But I don't always win the arguments ;)
    Sonntam, Rai, Veckna and 10 others like this.
  16. Blegvad

Blegvad Cupcake

Interesting stuff!

I really like how Carbine is communicating with the community. It bodes well for launch and the inevitable balancing act that will eventually come.

Only I question I have is in relation to the "auto-attack" - is this just filler required because it's very easy to have every ability on cooldown (an issue I've run into in GW2 frequently)?

Thanks!
  17. Clickbeast

Clickbeast Cupcake

Oh that's perfect then! I'm the perfect beta tester for you guys. I'll happily consent to multiple lobotomies that wipe my memory if it means I can get in! Priorities, folks! Priorities!
  18. moneda

How could they not see the wisdom?!
    Mudfin and Veckna like this.
  19. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

Seems weird to have this up to the PvP team since it also would have a HUGE impact on how the community of a server develops. Do social systems really get no input on this decision?
  20. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Okay, that's LOADS better than the gibberish. But I really really hope your PvP team allows for letting us speak in /say, /yell, and /emote when not flagged for pvp, not in a battleground, and not on a pvp server.

Us roleplayers like a good drama to be going between the factions, and it's nearly impossible to have that "Enemies to the bitter death" vibe going in an rp if all you can do is go "Kek" at each other and so on. Rift had some amazing inter-Faction roleplay going, I had this mad dwarf templar constantly trying to "foil my evil dragon worshipping schemes" when I was just trying to do my research thing! I'd love it if we could have a similar roleplay vibe going on in this game. Sure, we'd have people abusing it to troll the other side, but that's why you guys gave us /ignore right?

what he said also. To us roleplayers, it's a very important issue, above and beyond the player v. player aspects. We don't care if people can talk to the other faction in pvp, it's the REST of the time that matters!

edit: also an idea we came up with here was you could borrow from city of heroes and put in a toggle in the social settings right? "Interfaction Chat: Turns on /say, /yell, and /emote so you can understand the Exile/Dominion Scum". City of Heroes/Villains apparently did that. If you're going to put in the block ANYWAY, wouldn't it be relatively simple to slip in a toggle for it? Have it default to the "not talking" mode and be locked in that position if in a pvp situation.
    Crow and ruff_ethereal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.