1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Official M30 Patch Note Q&A thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jeremy Gaffney, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

Jeremy, Carbine... you must make it so... Insults about your parentage for PvP text between the faction would be absolutely hilarious.
  2. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

No, I'm very rarely on cooldown. We observed many players mashing away on the button as if expecting something to happen during our usability tests, and you should usually bow to what users try to do instead of forcing your gameplay style on them.

(side note: the combat team knows more than I do on this, and may have other reasons. If they decide to post on this somewhere and we appear to be in disagreement, they're right and I'm wrong (this will always hold if I'm contradicted by a member of my team closer to a part of the game than I am, and should really be my .sig))

But having seen the tests and the resulting changes I believe this is the reason.
    Sonntam, Evab, Luciamund and 4 others like this.
  3. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Also an idea we came up with here was you could borrow from city of heroes and put in a toggle in the social settings right? "Interfaction Chat: Turns on /say, /yell, and /emote so you can understand the Exile/Dominion Scum". City of Heroes/Villains apparently did that. If you're going to put in the block ANYWAY, wouldn't it be relatively simple to slip in a toggle for it? Have it default to the "not talking" mode and be locked in that position if in a pvp situation.

That said, if your social team doesn't get a vote, and the pvp team is absolutely dedicated to the interfaction chat block being universal, even outside of PvP situations, PLEASE at least have the text replaced by insults! That way we don't have to bend our minds around every NPC apparently speaking the same language but the players not.
    Sonntam, Mudfin and SiegaPlays like this.
  4. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

I think we as players often forget how much work we do not see. It is great that you put that in perspective. I personally think that this much more open approach that you have taken from day 1 with your fans will really pay off for you in the long run.
    When you have a rapidly increasing number of games available, gaining a loyal following is becoming more and more important. I really think that you are on a winning approach.
  5. Jeremy Gaffney

As ex-Executive Producer of City of Heroes, I'm a fan. But really up to the sub-teams, not me.

You (and other posters) are correct about it being a social issue as well as a PVP one. There are ramifications to both however, and I don't know the final answer.
    Sonntam, Zilvoran, Evab and 3 others like this.
  6. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Fair enough! Thanks for giving us a fairly clear answer on how things on this front are progressing!
  7. Jeremy Gaffney

I suspect he meant Friends and Family and got confused. We had a go/no go call between PAX and the CBT1 deployment on whether we were going to go live on the April date or wait until a May deployment, so he could easily have been wrong on the few thousand invites in April too.

Frosty (the guy in the interview) is generally super-clued and is also the voice of our DevSpeak videos. If you haven't seen the DevSpeak housing video (the one with the chalk marks, not the Protostar one), I recommend checking it out. So we won't hurt him too hard.
  8. Jeremy Gaffney

I am actually a spambot constructed by our marketing team to feign being a 20-year development veteran. Your input has been recorded.
    Sonntam, dpi209, Xanafel and 20 others like this.
  9. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

So how exactly are you measuring our enthusiam? By us posting on this forums? Or... what? And what about PCs specs? When I signed up for beta, there were not sections for scanning our pcs specs. :confused:

Not accusing or anything, I'm genuinely curious, and wondering if you can/are allowed to answer. ^_^
  10. Shu

Shu Cupcake

Jeremy, I have a question for you that is completely out of context, but since we have your attention, I figured I'd give it a shot:

What entails an entry into your industry? I'm currently at a small indie studio start up thing with no funding and no pay. I want to venture further into the industry and I'm just trying to find that crack in the rock to make my way in. Is it the people you know? Is it your previous experience? Is it your willingness to learn and communicate with team members? I'm honestly clueless at this point and I've shot my resume every possible direction and gotten no response.

Thanks.
  11. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

He passed the Turing test!
    Mizpah likes this.
  12. Nisyr

Nisyr New Cupcake

Just want to echo other's comments and say that I think your communication with the community is great! You guys are doing a stand up job of talking to people and keeping them informed and interested, even when information gets out that you may not have wanted the public to see just yet. In fact, some of the best communication I have seen of an MMO Developer and I've been through this song and dance more times than I would like to admit...

I see that there is quite a lot of information on the Settler Path in the patch notes. Anything you can or would like to talk about? I'd say that I am interested in the mention of the Scout, Sheriff and Mayor missions specifically.
    Jynetik likes this.
  13. Jeremy Gaffney

I don't know how we're handling beta submissions w/o PC specs, that's a Troy thang and he's out of town in Brighton right now doing Arkship EU.

The best way to measure enthusiasm for a title is probably beta signups overall (unless you mean measure the enthusiasm of a single poster). There are lots of folks now who just move from beta to beta without much intent to become long-term members of a game community though, so even that is an imperfect metric.

We're kinda honored that our community has begun to take off before we've really done much publicly - after all we did Gamescom/PAX prime like 2 years ago and then a thang at PAX East, and that's like it for public events. Despite that we've attracted a remarkably non-jaded group of interested folks and the MMO press has been super supportive (with quite solid previews in an industry and overall playerbase that has a lot of "meh" attitude towards games in development). We haven't really intended for it to take off quite yet, as we'd rather spike it up not too long pre-launch and we have some pretty good competition in the hopper.

Thus so many reveals (features, classes, paths, elder game goodies, yadda) still to come, assuming we can make it through beta w/o too much leakage, heh.
    Sonntam, Zilvoran, Kataryna and 3 others like this.
  14. Jeremy Gaffney

*whistles innocently re: Settler*

The stuff we've mentioned publicly: They build up quest hubs: improving ones that already exist and creating new ones, especially near tougher outdoor content. Their quests and rewards tend to be social based - the one we refer to most often as being a great example is a free-placeable campfire that buffs players; every player that uses it gets a benefit, and the settler gets Path XP.

So the better a place you can find to place it, the more players you help, and the more Path XP you get. Which is a very interesting puzzle for players to solve; if there is a guide to the best places, those get overpopulated and now new areas (dynamic events, etc.) become the "optimal" spots. Also incenting players with better rewards for helping other players should make the world a bit better place to be in, as a second order effect.
    Sonntam, Mudfin, Zilvoran and 2 others like this.
  15. Blegvad

Blegvad Cupcake

Double parentheses!

Thanks for the reply - in relation to being on cooldown and Limited Action Sets: are the slots restricted by action slot "type" so that you end up with only 1-2 abilities that have long cool downs?
  16. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

Thank you for the reply!
  17. Shu

Shu Cupcake

Inb4 torrent file with private server capabilities.
  18. Shadix

Shadix Cupcake

LOOK AT MY ENTHUSIASM! LOOK AT IT!

Beta invite?

What about the out of combat heal rate? As it reads in the patch notes the higher level you get, the longer it's going to take to fully heal up after a fight. Any plans to change this to a consistent number across all levels (a la SWtoR)?
  19. Nisyr

Nisyr New Cupcake

About what I expected, but I thought I would try to get new information out of you while I had the chance!

If you would just let me into the Beta, I wouldn't have to ask these kinds of questions... See what I did there? ;)
  20. Powerdrunk

Powerdrunk New Cupcake

Jeremy, this type of response to leaks is just so full of win. The sad truth is that there will always be NDA breaches during closed betas but using the negative of the leak to create a positive of improved community relations at major fansites like this one is just awesome.

Talk about maximising the upside of an option! Keep up the great work. The quality of Carbine's ethics bodes well for Wildstar's chances. Can't wait to play!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.