1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Official M30 Patch Note Q&A thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jeremy Gaffney, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush

Rush Cupcake

This is an off topic question from your latest post, I am just quoting you so that you can see the update on it.

In the patch notes, it looks to me like the Spellslingers had a lot of increases in their healing abilities. Were Spellslingers lacking power in their healing compared to Espers? From what I saw of the Espers, they needed more of their damage spells tweaked a bit, is one better suited for a different style of healing/dps than the other??
  2. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

You mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that there were 220k+ beta signups. Can you make any comments about the size of the current beta or the estimated/planned/best guessed/most recently speculated size of CB2/CB3 or is that strictly hush hush? Also, what is this about tech trees for trade skills? Come to think of it, what ever came of that community uplink about trade skills? never saw the uplink analysis for it.
  3. souper

souper Founding Member

Really cool that you guys are doing this. I tried not to read too much of the leaked patch notes before because I was too jelly of the people in the test (though I did take a tiny peak admittedly :oops:) but I'm gonna check them out now.

Because its so cool to see, I was wondering if you guys would be willing to do this more often. Not so much release a whole set of patch notes but update the community on any major game design or philosophy changes you guys undergo based on feedback. Its fun watching how a MMO changes over time and it gives us fans a visible history of some of the development changes pre-launch.
  4. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

Nope, not at the moment. Something we're pinging players for feedback on is how much freedom to allow folks to make sets that could end up 'gimping' you.

On AC1 (actually COH as well) we called this the "Jumping Jimmy" effect - do you allow a player to put every skill point they ever get into the Jump skill, so they can't fight worth a damn but enter low earth orbit if they try to hop a fence? That's the shorthand reason for why to have a class- or well-organized skill-system: to appropriately limit Jumping Jimmies.

Removing too much of the Jumping Jimmy effect removes some awesome emergent gameplay. Not removing enough means that your average user has to troll the web to find the optimal combinations rather than it being obvious enough through normal gameplay.
    Sonntam, Zilvoran, Celtkhan and 4 others like this.
  5. Jeremy Gaffney

We'll publicly release patch notes throughout the beta process. One thing that makes us rock (I'm so modest) is we update the <REDACTED> out of the game often and quickly. So why not show it off? Also, to keep future patch note leaks from happening we'd have to do some sort of a canary trap in the patch notes to find out who was leaking them and that sounds like a pain in the ass and time better spent on working on the game.

We are spending the effort to restrict future leaks on other stuff though. People messing with our reveal structure prevent us from doing exclusives with press which reduces fans, purchases, money, alcohol as mentioned above. It's not quite that simple, but it's what fits in a forum post :)
    Sonntam, Zilvoran, SiegaPlays and 4 others like this.
  6. souper

souper Founding Member

Yes, no enhancement diversification post-launch this time. It hurts too much my heart. ;)
  7. Bainik

I...I want to jump into low earth (or nexus) orbit. Can I play the Jimmy class?
  8. fencer137

fencer137 New Cupcake

As someone who likes to jump a LOT, i would like to jump into orbit for the cost of my combat skills.
  9. Jeremy Gaffney

Well, based on the response we've gotten we'll up the amounts somewhat. I can't really give a schedule because we kind of rationally add the number of people we need to test the content as it goes live, keep the concurrency numbers rising, get the buzz going as we get further through beta, and more. And if we goof something up we'll put the numbers on hold while we fix the goofup. So even if I gave you (or our competitors) our exact plans it's not as useful as one might think.
  10. Jeremy Gaffney

yeah, I bounce around like a crack monkey during normal running around/fighting/etc. It's a disease, I'm like That Guy in the raid who won't stop bouncing around.
    Rai, Zilvoran, hoss87 and 7 others like this.
  11. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Become a Scientist. Find Loftite, and research the <REDACTED> out of it for maximum effect. Jump into minefield.

Victory. Until you land, that is.
  12. Powerdrunk

Powerdrunk New Cupcake

Well we all know that bouncing around makes raids 46% more enjoyable. :)
    Zilvoran, JCwildthing and Kataryna like this.
  13. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

And thus the D&D 4th Edition Jumplomancer was born...
    Solomon Hans and moneda like this.
  14. souper

souper Founding Member

No need, Nexus has plenty of loftite for that. :up:
  15. Bainik

If no plans can be divulged can we get current numbers?
  16. fencer137

fencer137 New Cupcake

As the one who always tells the new people how the raid works. I know how this one is :p, I'd like to see a telegraph where you have to jump to get out of it ;P
  17. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

there was a (10man) raid in Rift that had a boss fight where you had to jump so you didn't take damage at certain points
  18. Blegvad

Blegvad Cupcake

That is awesome. I love the idea of being able to try out crazy builds for the halibut. Fun (and viable) things can be the result and that has for me often resulted in a lot more playtime in between content patches in other games with a lot of character building options (DDO in particular) because trying new builds and ideas can be so much darn fun.

Thanks again!
  19. Jeremy Gaffney

No, but true story: I was in that area in Algoroc with the Loftite (blue floating crystals which project a low-gravity zone). I was a scientist (who can study those crystals to double the jump height). I found a discovery which created a 2x jump buff on me. I did some other damn thing which further modded my jump height (forget which) - and then I jumped on a mine in the loftite field which apparently used the jump numbers to figure out how high it sent me, because it blew me up to the cloud layer and the safe fall buff faded by the time I came back down...leaving me to splat to my death on the top of the mountains. Totally rad.

Seriously, that's the benefit of the layered content stuff when we've done it well in an area, the random small stuff all adds together into something you couldn't really expect, or you figure out some combo to feel really smart when you pull it off (test a grenade as a solider on a monkey in Deradune as part of a quest, near a huntress to get rep, and simultaneously complete a speed kill challenge, for instance).
    Sonntam, Rai, Patrician and 13 others like this.
  20. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

This is an interesting conundrum. From my POV it seems that if players are given leeway in regards to redistributing attributes and buying/selling their abilities then they won't need incredibly stringent limitations. I'm eager to see what kind of balance y'all settle on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.