1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Official" Settler Path Thread - Suggestions and Concerns

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Pixie, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

To me, the Settler is the path I'm most excited to know more about, because I have so many questions and so many hopes for what being a Settler may entail.

We know we'll be able to build camps and set up infrastructure in the wilderness of Nexus, but I soooo hope there are a LOT of fluff abilities and silly quests that allow you to add some character and personal touch to a camp!

What abilities/quests/fluff content would YOU most like to see for the Settler? What do you expect?

I HOPE that we'll have some free form tools when making a camp, and that a camp isn't just a series of "hooks" in a specific spot on the map that you can build on to and add until a predetermined camp of a maximum size has been built. However I do understand that making that system would be a LOT easier than letting people pop up temporary buildings exactly where they wish to...

I hope we get some more silly options, such as colour/pattern choice, decorations (camp fires, flowers, perhaps even "wedding" props such as arches, platforms, or even a chapel.)

I hope we may be able to change the terrain a little more by adding things like bridges and perhaps even a little peer (fishing anyone? :D).

How about you?
    iiFrank and spencerBAXLEY like this.
  2. Khade Deveron

Khade Deveron New Cupcake

I have two really big hopes for settlers. First, I'd love to see them involved with the ability to create guild cities. I read in one of the dev posts that they were looking into ways to create communities of housing and I think guild cities would be an excellent implementation of that. Second, I would love to see settler involvement in warplots! There would have to be a balance here. You don't want to cripple a guild who doesn't have settlers in it. At the same time, it would be nice to see some special abilities or bonuses associated with having a really focused settler involved in the development of warplots.
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Well, besides what they can already do, like taxi points and building/upgrades, I hope they are involved in warplots as well. Not only that, I hope they can create taxi points in the sky that are huge like house plots. This could be places to build other structures like maybe auction houses, pubs, and those guild cities mentioned above. They could be used as a place for people to rest/relax/have parties, all that good stuff.
  4. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

What I'm really hoping for is a "Danger Room" feature, where Settlers can build their very own instanced Raid Dungeons or PvE Bossfights on Guild War Plots.

Like, for example, building your very own replica of a Dominion giant robot (Exile) or a Granok war machine (Dominion), planting defensive cannons for the stunning and Massive Damage of said boss, then getting oh, I don't know, 10, maybe 50 max people to try and reduce it to scrap metal.

And if it IS destroyed? Well, the "Unbreakable" mineral you found and planted in that boss has now been shattered into usable pieces, allowing you to craft stuff with it now.
  5. Teerack

Teerack Cupcake-About-Town

Be kinda cool if they had a bounty hunting system where you could go and capture creatures to have on a farm or something.
    Flawz, iiFrank, Lsya and 1 other person like this.
  6. ruff_ethereal

Alien Rancher? Yes, please!
  7. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Hehe, I'd love to have a ranch!

But I do draw the line at Wildstar Farmville >.>

:p
    Scrapple likes this.
  8. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

The Alien Rancher shoulda like a great idea for an expansion. However the original settler needs to do all the prep work.
  9. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

My dream for the Settler would be the ability to set down a small inn that players can rest at, set hearth, buy food, and RP at. Being able to name it would be awesome as well even though it may disappear if not kept up. Having some sort of role with Warplots would be appreciated too. :)
    JarNod, nomotog and Patrician like this.
  10. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

I am slightly concerned with how certain aspects of the settler will work. In an interview (I think it was mmorpg.com) Gaffney mentioned the terrain modification. He said something about players building campfires that give other players buffs and reward the settler that built the campfire with exp. He was talking about people building fires and competing for the best locations. I honestly don't want to walk into town and see 400 campfires littering the area, but perhaps I'm remembering things correctly.
  11. Khade Deveron

Khade Deveron New Cupcake

I would love to see the settle path tied into some of the warplot feature. Same goes for player cities :)
  12. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I'd adore for the Settler to be specificity tied to each path, thus really fleshing out the "social" aspect of the choice.

For example, they can build outposts that have a "field laboratory," for Scientists. Crow nest observation posts that only Explorers can go up, and perhaps a hatch in he ground explorers only can open giving access to the underground tunnels. Then of course a training area for soldiers maybe or a place for them to pick up path missions, and finally a bar for other settlers that gives all settlers a tiny XP boost for every settler that decides to grab a beer from it.
  13. Wendonai

Wendonai New Cupcake

I just hope the path doesent require a lot of gold to progress in. This is my main worry as all other paths don't seem to have any expenses.
    iiFrank and Anhrez like this.
  14. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

The trick is gonna be making the Settler useful to have around, but not necessary. There's a thin line between convenience and necessity.
    iiFrank and Anhrez like this.
  15. Destrei

Destrei New Cupcake

I hope that the building and facilities that I create could be useful to all other players that come across it. In saying that, I don't really know what the point of the settler is yet.
  16. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

It's true. So little confirmed information about the Settler path right now...

At first, I imagined some kind of phasing mechanic where settlers would change the cities/town/outposts of nexus, providing NPCs & structures in convenient areas...

But how much phasing can be done after those who choose settler at launch have their fun?
    Is the world of Nexus really big enough for endless improvement?

Are the outposts & improvements created by Settlers for their respective factions destroyable by the opposite faction? Will settler's responsible for these improvements be required to return to maintain/upkeep their own improvements? Will Nexus' future settler's need only maintain/upkeep the creative structures of those who came before them?

If Explorers can place snipers at bird's eye points in the game to help their faction, and soldiers protect & invade events can be participated in by all classes/paths, then my theory is that settlers will be able to create small outposts/base camps for several purposes including selling, repairing, and attacking. Eventually, the elder settler will have those (hesitant to say permanent) structures and have a greater influence on their faction.

In the explanation of the settler path on the Wildstar website, it mentions "constructing outposts in dangerous areas". So perhaps this is similar to the sniper post the explorer can discover, and in specific dangerous areas with a concentration of quest missions & mobs, a Settler can create an outpost that is occupied with some backup. Mobs would be distracted, and can destroy your outpost if you were to die or leave it alone. And of course, an experienced settler could create a more sturdy outpost with more of those defensive cannons from the protostar video.

Might as well name my settler MTV.. because I'm out to start producing "Pimp My Warplot!"

PS: If there weren't any copyright infringements there, I would buy a carbine "pimp my warplot" t-shirt in about 10 seconds.
    iiFrank and ruff_ethereal like this.
  17. ruff_ethereal

This.
    iiFrank likes this.
  18. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

I want the Settler to have an "Out Of Order" sign they can put down. And a wrench, everything works so much better when you hit it with a wrench...
    Sera Serenity likes this.
  19. AltF4

AltF4 New Cupcake

Well, with the explanation about getting Path-centric XP based on how many people you help (see Extatica's here), it seems that the Settler's helpful structure could conceivably include anything from defensive/healing structures for high-combat areas, or maybe temporary crafting stations in resource-heavy regions - and naturally, more XP for more users...

Parody is protected speech, innit?
  20. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I kinda just want a hardhat...erectin' a dispenser...
    Críostóir and ruff_ethereal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.