1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Official" Settler Path Thread - Suggestions and Concerns

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Pixie, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for your services Alt.

Now that litigation is not the issue, I'll be looking for my "Pimp my Warplot" & "Wildstar Cribs" merchandise on a regular basis.

By the way, with the housing video that had released today, my new thoughts on the settler path are simple. Housing Plugs. I want an ore mine. I want a helipad. I want a dungeon portal. and I want them all on my front lawn. oh, and I want to build them myself.
  2. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

an all out player developed zone with mobs continually trying to take back areas that the whole server has to maintain. would go well with the soldier as well, as they will likely enjoy killing off all of the badies in the area. maybe scientist could improve the areas harvesting nodes and explorers can do their underground cave thing ... maybe they have a series of things they need to do from time to time to keep the fast travel areas accessible so the rest of the server can use it?

but as for settlers, really .. just let us work together and build a whole zone.
  3. Rush

Rush Cupcake

I want Settlers to have an immunity to dysentery. I hate when I die from dysentery.
  4. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Well for me I want to be able to make useful things for the players in the game. Every person that uses something that I made I either exp or money For example

A Vender were I can buy and sell materials for crafting gear.( Ore,planets,etc) As well as sell gear that I can crafted or made.
    A Bank were people can store and I can loan money.(If people don't pay then they get a penalty of some sort)
    A Local crafting table for players to craft at if they are still new and can not afford it yet.
    Cheaper prices on War Plot things for example a big turret cost 400 in game money but with a settler it only cost 300 a similar thing for housing
    Making a local buff station for players to use during questing so that lower level players can take on harder mobs for grinding
    A Farm were mounts or pets can be bought by players to have to walk around faster or have around in their houses or guild houses or communities
    A Healing station for players to use if they are running low on hp and do not have many potions or are saving up during questing
    A Fence or wall in order to keep out players of the opposing faction from interfering in lowbies questing in the contested areas. It can be destroyed but you get a bonus for how long it last( More of a bonus in a contested area then in a non contested area)

These are just a few things that I was thinking about what do you guys think
    Maurodax likes this.
  5. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

I want to be able to stock a vendor in the wilderness to sell things like buff potions (that I craft) to people (who are farming), heal pots, and receive a small commission on items they sell to the NPC as "vendor loot". :D Heck, let me make miniature res spots (graveyards) that people can respawn at, the game takes some cash and I take some cash in as commission, limit it to X # of rezzes/hour if need be. Let me erect all kinds of randomness that costs rent but can make me money. ;) Heck, let me make a garden or small mine outdoors that people can get resources from, for a small harvesting fee.
  6. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

So Settlers will be able to develop settlements somehow, be able to better areas, advance the economy I'm assuming, many things.

In the interview with Mike D.

My concern, or rather I suppose question, is this:

Will Settler advancements go away over time?

If not, then either every zone after a few months will be straight hooked up. Blinged out beyond belief, and no new settlers would be able to make advancements.

OR Settlers can advance upon other settlers stuff, and create a massive power creep in which the hubs they work on will just continue getting more and more advanced until I dunno, they are broken somehow?

Anyhow this has been nagging at me. I'm sure Carbine has already figured this out and has a solution to it that I don't realize, or maybe in the fullness of time I will be able to see a clearer picture of how settlers will work to not have to deal with these sort of problems.

Thoughts?
  7. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I don't have the quote, but I know they said that buildings will require upkeep, so I assume what settlers do will eventually go away if not kept up with.
  8. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I do remember reading about upkeep and maintenance. And there is only so much one settler can do as well.

I personally cant wait. As an rper, I hope to get together with other settlers and just make a town bloom.
  9. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

It's already been confirmed that Settler-built stuff does decay over time. (Can't remember the exact interview/s just now :p)

However, this article which derives its info from an interview with Jeremy Gaffney says that Settlers can still make 'interesting things happen' even in a 'empty zone'. I'm sure that Carbine has taken low-level-zone de-population into account with a path like the Settler, but I also reckon that it's one of the harder paths to design for since they need to be cool even in the hypothetical situation that there aren't any players around. I think that this is one of the reasons why they haven't said much about the Settler yet.

But when Carbine does reveal more info on them, I'm sure it'll be pretty flippin' sweet. ;)
  10. Lyas Tyrell

Whew, that's a relief.
  11. Khrusky

Khrusky Cupcake

The settler path certainly worries me at the moment.

All of the other three paths are tied to core game features: Soldier - combat; Explorer - movement; Scientist - story/lore . The settler path seemingly relies on an area of the game that has been solely created for this path, which are these as-yet incorporeal buildings. This means that there is less pressing demand for it to be, and less assurance that it will be, any good.

The way that the other paths work is that the core of it is inherently fun, and so the actual content can be made to a template of sorts. As long as it's novel enough it doesn't need to be fundamentally re-jigged. The issue for settlers is what mechanic will that be? If it's just placing buildings/upgrades is there any way they can implement that so that it doesn't feel like a chore? Already from the way they announced campfires working I can just see settlers resenting others who got to the best locations first, which is horrible for the path that's supposed to represent the more social players. If they balance this by making your structures non-permanent then how is going back to the same place repeatedly not going to be a chore?

If the building itself becomes a mini-game type thing that will be inherently fun, can they really afford to spend the same amount of time making it fun as the other paths, when the settler path mechanic will only be seen by a subset of players? The other paths' main mechanics are seen by all players so surely they'd have a much higher priority?

I initially wanted to go settler as that's where I fall in the Bartle types, but the more I think about it, the more intractable the problem seems.
  12. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

A few times, they've defined the Settler path similar to how you defined the other three: Social. I think the core mechanic behind being a Settler is lending a hand to other people. They mentioned the buildings they can add to an encampment here, but they've also brought up being able to set up a campfire freely in a zone, and those who rest at it get a buff of some sort. So there's more to it than buildings, and I think as long as Carbine keeps the 'social' archetype in mind, they'll be able to come up with lots of other stuff to do with it.
    Zilvoran and Kataryna like this.
  13. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

If Settlers can do that I hope that if I'm high level I can drop a campfire in a low-level zone to give them an exp buff or something. Sounds like a novel idea in that regard.
    Wayne Butler and Zilvoran like this.
  14. Lyas Tyrell

After reading this thread I certainly feel like Settlers are being overlooked by many people.

The impact one good settler can have on a team or a zone seem like it could be huge if it's implemented right. I may roll a Settler...
  15. Wayne Butler

Wayne Butler New Cupcake

Well, they have embraced player housing as instances, so I wonder if there might be instances hubs so that new players can still contribute as settlers. While I do not necessarily like the idea of instances questing areas, it could alleviate some of the concerns. I would hate to not be able to progress my path because every building has already been made.
  16. Scelestic

Scelestic Cupcake

Lower Level Zones will be Instanced at 70 or so People per Instance, but High Level zones will have no Instances, as of right now, that is.
  17. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I'd imagine that settlers can upgrade a certain location to a set maximum then any further settlers that come along simply add to the lifespan of the upgrades (sort of like adding rent money/power to buildings in SWG) call it performing maintenance or whatever.

That way you never penalise any settlers that are 'late to the party' and so long as there is a reasonable flow of settler players through an area it will remain upgraded.

That's how I'd implement it anyway as it allows control over how much certain areas can be upgraded as well (in case that's a factor the devs want control of).
    They may well have a far more cunning system in place though!
  18. Prometheus

Prometheus Cupcake

Part of the degradation over time might be PVE related if the environment destroys what you'd previously built after you've moved to a new area.
  19. Sasquatauch

Sasquatauch New Cupcake

I think at this point, the Settler is probably going to be something cooler than anything I could hope for. But my most immediate hope is that we don't have to take up a bunch of bag space carrying around crafting mats. I'm not sure if they've mentioned the details of how Settlers go about building objects, but it would be nice if anything that is used can just be stored at your house and teleported in, as it were.
  20. Loken

Loken New Cupcake

Scouts had that ability in SWG making a camp and the more people that came the more xp you received. It allowed you to meet a lot of players which was cool and as you leveled you could make bigger and bigger camps if I remember correctly. There were some choice locations but I never really saw an over abundance of camps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.