1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Official" Settler Path Thread - Suggestions and Concerns

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Pixie, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I only have 1 secret hope: Will WS be able to replace WoW for me ? Or are we looking at another failed MMO to bury alongside Rift, Secret World, TERA and SWTOR ? They all looked great before release.
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I want to be able to make props for theatre productions!

Decorate a city in a number of styles. For example a group,of settlers come across a wild west town and they revamp it to give it a more tribal feel or a more space pirate feel with appropriate vendors etc
  3. Ozlin

Ozlin New Cupcake

Out of the nanture of the term 'settling' and the release of player owned housing, it is my speculation, SPECULATION mind you, that they might have added tools with their house. Also in a recorded interveiw with MMOrpg.com (the viedo can be found on twitch) Settlers could possibly be given the Campfire mechanic.

Any settler can set up campfires around which other palyers can log out to receive greater rested exp bonus similar to housing. Also, 'warming your hands' on a fire grants a buff. If other palyers use your campfire, you'll get experience... or some sort of reward, it was vague.
  4. Xryus

Xryus Cupcake

I actually like the idea that there is a path that doesn't use the core game mechanics. Sometimes I feel like playing a game, but I just don't feel like fighting anything. The way some games are setup even if you want to just craft you have to fight something for mats and such.

This seems like something I could do on days like that. Just wander into a town and help build or maintain something. If it is like that I will surely have one.
  5. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Does anyone know if settlers will need to collect material to build any of the buildings or will they just run up to a "plug" and away they go?
  6. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I am not too concerned. I am more surprised that the system is more fleshed than I had expected. It does have a nice sandbox element to it.

I am guessing as you level you will be ale to build bigger things. You start off with a picnic and campfire, then eventually build vendors.
  7. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

What I'm curious about is the whole method they'll be using for nodes for building things. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it. I mean, a lot of people are going to be settlers probably, though maybe not that many active on it.

also, somebody came up with the idea of flying mount launch/landing pads, which I thought was a really nifty idea, and I wonder if they'll implement it as the kind of end state of the temporary mount taxi services.

I just love how they've handled this game though. We got 4 paths for the 4 "houses" of players. Hearts (social players) are totally the settlers. Next we got the Clubs (Predators) for Soldiers, then comes the Spades (for Explorers) who share a name between their game play type and their path, and then finally are the Diamonds (for achievers) in the Scientists, who are unlocking each and every little thing.
  8. Críostóir

Críostóir Cupcake-About-Town

I really want to see Settlers becoming a vibrant part of each community. We know they can team up, so let's see some incentives working to promise that. I want to see Circles of Settlers popping up to accomplish things. I'd like to see some neat projects that take a lot of time, and a fair amount of love put into them. Nothing unbalancing, but... just letting the Settlers put their own mark on the land would be great. Can we tell who has constructed a given outpost or structure?

It sounded as though things needed to be maintained. Can any Settler "maintain" any other Settler's projects (e.g., TF2's engineer). I'd love to see players rewarded for going out of their way to help other Settlers also. I'm most curious to know what our limits are, though, as far as building, maintaining, contributing to others' projects, etc.
    iiFrank likes this.
  9. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I think they've confirmed settlers can repair other settler's work and I remember them talking about multiple settlers either needing to work together or be in the same general area to unlock higher tiers of stuff to build or something along those lines.
  10. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, one potential issue I see for settlers is if that their structures have a certain permanence to them, that newcomers will run out of stuff to do in some cases.
    Aka once a camp has been built, it, well, has been built. So any settler coming afterward has nothing to do. This being a fundamental issue, I'm quite sure people have put thought into that though, so I would assume it's not an issue in the game once its out there. Carbine strikes me as a very potent and smart team, from what I've seen so far, and they truly are concerned with making things work.

I would like the things you build to have some duration to them, not forever so they can be rebuilt, but also not just 30 seconds until they get smashed up by some public mini-event or despawn. So that you get the feel of accomplishment, yet at the same time there always is something new to build etc.
    Críostóir likes this.
  11. Críostóir

That's what I recall also, as far as an inherent level of interdependence among the various Settlers. At any rate, I hope there's some level of recognition too for going out of your way to help others.
  12. Críostóir

Not only that, but what if I'l built Structure A in Deradune, and then later make my way with a group of adventurers to another region altogether. When I leave Deradune, does my Structure A disappear immediately? Moreover, in the new region I travel to, can I build another Structure A without the first disappearing?
  13. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Traps that we could use in Warplots would be pretty high on the list for me. :)
    Críostóir likes this.
  14. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

Whenever I think of settlers I always think back to my days in Star Wars Galaxies. Being able to build villages, towns, cities... If a settler could do such things I'd be really excited about getting into it. Though it'll probably be limited compared to Galaxies because of map size, and other boundaries.
    Drayhken likes this.
  15. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Anything with hit boxes is limited to "Sockets" which are apparently usually for one specific type of building, and then there's sockets attacked to those buildings, that have different advantages you can build into them (but you can build them all).

I'm assuming these require some sort of resource, or otherwise have some kind of limit. Like At each individual socket, you can only build one thing. So if you build the base plug for that socket, you can't build on the expansion sockets for it, or level it up (you can maintain it though). So other people have to come in and level it up, and boost it. But getting that base socket is going to be COVETTED cause everyone using the services of that place, regardless of expansion sockets, is going to be using the BASE one. So the person who builds up that FIRST spot is going to be the one who gets the most XP from it. Though it'd be REALLY cool if everyone who had contributed to it will get XP for usage, so that everyone has incentives to help out equally.
  16. Arsenic36

Arsenic36 New Cupcake

I just want, turrets, or a turret.
  17. iiFrank

iiFrank Cupcake-About-Town

I'm all for big groups of Settlers working to make the server better in all aspects of the game.
    Críostóir likes this.
  18. Lucera

Lucera New Cupcake

I'm hoping it's a path that focuses on gathering, crafting, making housing materials/furniture, and building awesome things.

Because I'm Really. Sick. of. Killing. Things.
  19. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

How about they can Open up a BAR the drinks add buffs, the enviroment provides rested xp with the more PLAYERS who are inside of it. as well as more potent the buffs. BAR + more players = better buffs & xp

Waiting on raids to timeout ? pvp que? or just bored. then socialize at a BAR created by your local settler. They know a long day of killing and adventuring needs a break some time!
  20. Exanthem

Exanthem New Cupcake

Really really big turrets...like big enough to live in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.