1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"OMFG you noob!" Trolling and solutions.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Morthaine, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Morthaine

Morthaine New Cupcake

Hey Forum. So, Following the http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/news/uplink_analysis_healthy_communities.php announcment it got me thinking.

As stated in the article a lot of good and positive ideas came flying on twitter. Ideas and initiatives that will make sure that Wildstar becomes a vibrant and talkative experience based on an ideal of decency and respect.:) Two things there are sadly lacking in video games today. People tend to believe that because they are sitting behind a screen they can shout and scream in text at strangers without consequences. Trolls are on a rampage. :mad:

The truth of the matter is simple. Talking trash and degrading other people even in a virtual world does hurt. I have personally tried in several MMO's over the years to be called everything from a farm-animal to a retarded wheel-chair driving moron (which if I was a retarded guy in a wheel-chair I would feel extremely provocated as no one deserves to be put in the same box as me) ;)

So talking bad to other people creates a bad experience. Bad experiences lead to people avoiding bad places. And when the bad place is a MMO say, Wildstar. They cancel their subscription and venture out on the web to find a more happy place. :down:

So what can we do? well, my fellow Wildstarians. We can start out by promising each other. to behave maturely and treat each other with respect. And also we should rely on the Wildstar team to back this up a 100%. In other MMO's when people are being jerks or trolling you can report them. and well, rarely anything really happens. So in my opinion. In Wildstar this should end now. Lets show the trolls that being an immature idiot has consequences. Impose a 3 strike rule. be reported 3 times and you get banned for an amount of time. ( 1 week or 1 day or forever etc.) The first MMO to take a stand on this issue will be remembered as cool by the gaming community. make no mistake.:D

Let Wildstar be a shining example that the general gaming community is fed up with self-bloated arrogant sad people who's idea of fun is ruining a good and cheerful gaming experience for other people. "But Mort, If we start banning people. they get angry and cancel their subscription. based on a marketing analysis the investors dont care about youre gaming experience but only profit" and to that i say. A Product like an MMO lives on a positive reputation. I know more people who have cancelled their account over Trolling and idiot players in random dungeons then those who have on being banned. If you get banned from a game. you get angry and quite probably get a sense of guilt.

So. Dear developers and fellow gamers lets take a stand. Lets roll out the tanks and ready our swords. NO. TO TROLLS AND ASSTARDS! thanks for reading my rambling. :)

Please share youre opinion below :up:
    Dysp, Plix, Naunet and 2 others like this.
  2. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I respect what you are trying to do and it's a good message, that having been said my opinion is this. Trolls and jerks already do get banned depending on severity of their infractions in almost every AAA MMO I can think of currently. Also I don't think it's the Wildstar team's job to settle every petty dispute that may arise during the course of the game and expect them to is unfair. The best thing you can do in 95% of these situations is to let it roll off your back. Report them if it's bad enough and you actually think it's worth bothering someone about and move on with life. Jerks will always be around but we all have a responsibility to resolve our own issues.
    Zepherion and Morthaine like this.
  3. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Welcome to Humanity! Word of advice: You won't find any ponies here.

Deal with it.
  4. Morthaine

Morthaine New Cupcake

I totally agree, That we have a responsibility to settle our own disputes, and if my thread gave the impression that i want a chat police governing every party, channel or conversation. then iv'e failed to communicate proberly. All i want is a change of acceptance. Today people openly accept getting called F%¤""% ! and lots of other stuff when they play, And you might be alright with it and can look through it. But some people are sensitive. No im not talking about people breaking down and crying about being called a noob. but i know adults who has been shocked by other players way of communicating at times. Its about putting a stop to stupid stuff. If I went outside in the Real-world. On my job, in my school or at home. and Talked to other people like that i would get beat up or atleast fired, dumped and sleeping on pavement. Wildstar is new Game with huge potential. as so many other people on this forum im simply pouring out my dreams and wishes for that "perfect game" ;)
  5. Soylentgreen

I realize what you are saying and like I said I think it's admirable but I am just trying to be realistic here. I would be shocked if there was a game where I didn't see people calling other people rude names online, absolutely shocked. Now if someone is a real jerk sure report them if you feel it's warranted, that's your right and the tools are there to do so I'm sure. None of this however is going to change human nature, no amount of hoping is going to make everyone into a reasonable person online. You do what you can about it and move on, in the end it's really small potatoes in the grand scheme of things for the most part.
    Morthaine likes this.
  6. babylon

babylon Cupcake

<---- :whistling:
    Joukehainen and Morthaine like this.
  7. Sierus

Sierus Cupcake

The idea is good, but in reality 3 strikes could easily be obtained by randomly reporting someone you don't like, just for the hell of it. Unless there is hardcore evidence (screenshot etc) it would be very hard to substantiate any number of strikes incurred against a person.
  8. Morthaine

Morthaine New Cupcake

I agree to a certain degree that you cant change human nature. but that being said. we live in a world where the digital and real world gets more and more entwined. what affects you on the web affects you in Real-life vice-versa. So as we progress through a time where being decent in the real-world is expected and being an rude bullying jerk is accepted. http://www.dosomething.org/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-cyber-bullying has exploded the last couple of years. showing that how children interacts on the internet can have significant impact on their daily lives. But being an adult i do have a thicker skin and can look through more poo-storm then a kid but the fact remains the same. I Spend a lot of time on online-gaming, so does my GF and friends. But gradually iv'e seen an increase in people thrash-talking and being stupid. Perhaps its because MMO's has gone from nerdhood to common ownership. that would perhaps explain some of it. but in general i think it also has to do with acceptance. if we keep accepting trolling and people calling each other names in random dungeons etc. it won't cease. Why should i behave when all others dont? My personal weapon in this has been as a fairly good and well-sought tank in wow and Swtor to leave random groups when people start being childish and act stupid. I know several other really good healers and tanks have begun doing the same. I dont mind if people critizise what im doing in a game and give me constructive advice. but i do feel offended if some start screaming out their lungs at me for making a little mistake or doing it differently then their want. *hint* "Pull more, Pull more. omg we wipe u noob tank" *facepalm* ;)
  9. Deloim

Deloim Cupcake

L2/ignore

This sort of stuff usually just leads to unnecessary GM load with all the abuse from other players reporting players just becaus they dont feel warm and fuzzy about them.

edit:
    Also I hope there will be incentive for large scale social quilds(in hundreds) for WS where belonging in them even if you mainly do solo content gives you perks. Usually the useless nail sticking out gets busted off by the community.

-(offtopic, this kind of guild struckture could also have within it multiple raid teams with their own chat channels etc. and progressing would be nice when you actually notice the people rising trought the ranks and not just pick ppl off applys - if server populations would support that and personally wouldnt mind if the large cummunities would be in some sort of active GM influence at the top instead of just ninjaing around the world invisible like on WoW)-
  10. Soylentgreen

To this I would say you do what you can the tools you have in game to deal with this really aren't that different from real life. Out in the world if you are at work or school and someone is being racist or a hate monger, they will likely be looked down on and punished (more likely at work, but slaps on the wrist at school are possible too).

In game if someone if your guild is doing the same thing likely you being against such a thing will be in a guild that doesn't tolerate that sort of thing and the individual will be punished as well. Out in the big wide open world though if someone was saying something racist or hate mongering and you went to the police they wouldn't do a thing at least you can report someone in game if it offends you and they may be talked with.

As for why a person should behave if others don't, the only answer here is because it's the right thing to do and because there are many more nice people out there than jerks, the jerks just stick out more.

When using this particular weapon I would advise considering other people's point of view. If you get in a group and one person is a jerk to you and you leave the group then sure that guy was a jerk, but you aren't punishing him. This "troll" already got a reaction, they got what they want. All you've done now is made yourself seem like a jerk to 3 other players that might have waited 20 mins + for a tank only to have to do it all over again.
  11. Fluxing

Fluxing New Cupcake

<----

As Sierus said, the 3 strikes rule could easily be abused. If someone is bothering you that much and being abusive, you can report them and hopefully, (as mentioned above) Wildstar will have an "ignore" feature - one of my favorite features from most MMO's I have played!
  12. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

GW2 has handled that quite nicely - it's extremely rare to see general chat of any sort turn complete filth like it does in WoW. Whatever they did, they did well, and I hope Wildstar will follow the same route. While it's impossible to police everything and everyone, a couple of set rules that are actually being enforced is often enough to make people realize you need to think before letting your fingers type away :)
    Yinello and Joukehainen like this.
  13. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

The problem with this idea is that I can get two friends and we can ban anyone we want to. Trolls will gather in capitals for the express purpose of banning people at random.

Although you won't find any ponies, you will find quite a few bronies. We're everywhere.
  14. TheJedi

TheJedi New Cupcake

Trolling and bullying are things I hope that Carbine takes a more serious look at then Well. Blizzard did.
    I will share a story.
    5 years and a half I moved to a new realm in wow. I initially joined a really hard core guild. But sadly the hardcore personalities in the guild loved to secretly mock ridicule and trash talk about fellow guild members who were online but not on vent. Many of them were the officers who looked down on the rest of the members of the guild. So I left. Another member of the guild decided to leave too.
    We both took oddly nearly the same path. We both formed guilds. Mine was really aimed initially to help friends and have fun. I was naive at the time. The guild would grow fast.. A mix of funny , mature and like mended folks attracted a lot of cool people.
    The ex fellow guild member made his own guild.. but he had a different idea in mind.. he wanted to be the guild leader of the most evil guild on this realm. His goal was to harm other guilds by any means necessary. Well I didn't know this.. I didn't really know this person I was too busy having fun running this guild.
    Then the first day it happened.. a few months after my guild was formed we hit like 200 members and it became obvious to this guy.. we were growing fast and becoming popular. And here was the perfect target.
    So the campaign began in trade. Any time a guild was mocked .. our guild was named. Didn't matter the guild was well liked by a lot of folks on realm. And this happened every 25 minutes.. .. hey some pug run wiped.. thats ok.. It was lead by my guild.. .. if we had only 1 member in that pug.. it was called our run. and boom they kept it up. It was non-stop for months. They would get members in the guild on their alts.. and purposely wipe our 25man raids.. then run to trade and tell the server how bad we were. This went on for months and months and months. It got so bad the entire server began to believe that we were a bad guild. I had members all put them on ignore. I said put them ignore do not respond in trade. But they had an entire guild all focused on destroying ours. I put in tickets to Blizzard. I spoke to gm after gm. I mean I would change my name and they would stalk me to see what I was doing. The trolling was incessant. IT was non stop. IT caused guild mates to quit the guild. It hurt our progression. And nothing was done by Blizzard.
    Then only a chance meeting with an ex-member of that guild would give me some new information about this guild leader and why he had so much time to dedicate to stalking me and harassing me. And only by revealing this information in trade via an alt .. I had to resort to trolling to change the focus... plus he had become so obsessed with our guild he had forgotten about furthering his guilds own raiding progression.

They would end up leaving the server. But it hurt our guild for years. And it scarred me for a while.. Because
    Blizzard had become such a corporate team.. that looking out for 1 person.. even if that 1 person ran a large guild. .. didn't matter. to them. They never banned that guy. He was a paying subscriber.

If I had been a younger person.. How would I have responded to that situation? I am leaving out all the stuff that happened .. it was insane the amount of lengths they went to. Heck they even got my real life cell number and spread it to the server. I would have to change that number.
    But blizzard did nothing.

I am really really hoping that CArbine takes a stronger stance against that. No one deserves that level of harrassment. The problem with trolling is that it can quickly get out of hand and become bullying. Let Wildstar set the bar as an mmo that will not allow that type of behavior to poison the rest of the realms.
    Khrusky likes this.
  15. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

16. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Yes, because the 3 strike rule worked SO well for Champions Online.

No wait, it's a mess. And thats only a chat mute in CO, I would hate to see what would happen if it were real bans.
  17. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

My solution to trolling: ignore list. Don't be that guy and just wait for things to get worse.
  18. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I just find a decent guild and stick with them. When levelling alts I just expect the worst possible out of any group interaction, that way I'm only ever pleasantly surprised.
    /ignore works for the ones you meet.

As for acting like them because they're not forced to behave, it's up to you I guess but you don't solve a problem by becoming part of it. Personally I wouldn't sink to their level (although when playing as a healer/tank I have been known to just let trolls die, lots. I guess that's sort of sinking to their level :whistling: although they don't realise it's intentional half the time).

Wildstar already has some measures in place for those that want to minimise that type of thing - the same server matchup for example, gone is the anonymity allowed by cross-server queues so people that don't care about their reputation on a server will quickly find themselves blacklisted by the population. If people are using cross server then they're gambling with faster queues for higher risk of encountering toxic players.

The biggest thing to remember though is that trolls feed off your reactions, if you don't let them bother you you'll generally be annoying them far more than any response you can give. If you have to respond then I've found /love /hug in MMOs seem to get me far more abuse and threats from trolls than anything abusive could possibly get me and I always picture that angry German kid smashing his keyboard up and chuckle to myself.

That being said everyone will have their own best way to deal with it, I tend to laugh at their stupidity so they don't bother me too much (physical griefing where they actively disrupt my playing tends to wind me up though, hence my dislike of PvP servers despite my enjoyment of group PvP).
  19. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Put them on ignore.

/thread

EDIT: I don't really want a solution to trolling. I'm quite partial to drama and sweary words. Life would be a much duller place if it were all unicorns farting rainbows.

EDIT #2: WoW 1st MMO.
    Chomag likes this.
  20. Scrapple

Scrapple Cupcake

I'm sure if it gets to the point of someone being a complete arse they( Carbine ) can pull up chat logs and see for themselves. just remember everything you type in game is logged.