1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"OMFG you noob!" Trolling and solutions.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Morthaine, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

I realize it is just a game and that is a quick way to personally shield oneself. However, it bothers me such a concept is commonplace and learned behavior of so many.

The idea, if you see an injustice or attack being done, just ignore or act like it's not happening and go about your business, seems wrong. Maybe a minority, but I feel we should combat such action in any medium. Perhaps then some of the moral justice will carry out into the real world.
  2. Sasquatauch

Sasquatauch New Cupcake

Totally agree Jojin, apathy is not a solution. Ever.
  3. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

/ignore

/endthread

Any game now has reporting mechanisms for actual rules violations. GW2 brought down the hammer right off the bat. Its amazing to see how civilized (relative to most internet communities) the game chat is. Note: I said civilized, not intelligent :)
  4. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

Then why did mommy say just walk away from bullies and ignore insults? I feel cheated.
  5. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Me and my friends always provoke people by trolling and talking trash in PvP, and we usually get known as "the a**holes" of the server, but we quite enjoy that. Last game we all played together was SWTOR and we talked so much trash, but no one could beat us so we got really hated on the server. Hopefully we'll be able to establish a reputation like that again once Wildstar launches.
  6. Danny Nielsen

Danny Nielsen Cupcake

A simple ignore form, where you describe why you ignore him and it will be send to your friend list and your guild members, and they can decide if they wish to ignore that person, if they choose to ignore him, the "Ignore" will be send to there friend list/guild members, and before you know, the "ignore" will spread like wrinkels in the water, and community self justice will prevale.
    Now this can be abused by griefers aswell, but the system could have a, if a person gets more than X amount of ignore from the same ignore form, he would get a form, where he could write 1 time only, an apology or try and defend his actions, and let it be up to the people ignoring him to delete the person from theire ignore list.
  7. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

Way too open to abuse. Sorry man but this would just cause severe abuse from some d*uchebags we always see in MMORPG. You didn't DPSed enough the last boss in the eye of douche #1? BAM Ignore form. You died? BAM ignore form.
    Rumze and shadowclasper like this.
  8. Danny Nielsen

Danny Nielsen Cupcake

You are properly right, hence the other form where you can defend your action. And if the person ignoring you have decend players on his friend list they might put you off ignore, if they all are d*uchebags, i wouldn't mind being ignored by them.
  9. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Nah, too easy to abuse still.

The best way to prevent ignoring being a one off thing is to SERIOUSLY limit inter-server interactions. If you can't jump between servers, you end up developing a reputation.

That combined with word of mouth and a normal ignore function will do just fine.
  10. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Strict moderation, rule with an iron fist. A feature to ignore and a feature to report. It worked excellently for GW2 and a few websites I visit.

Make a seperate team of mods for the game. Set down the rules up ahead, acknowledging WS won't tolerate bull<REDACTED> and players can't bend them. A mod will not budge from these rules and follows them to the letter. If you feel a rule is perhaps not up to par, you can suggest that it may need to be looked at on their forum.

If you feel that someone is trolling, report them and let a mod decide. Enough reports will get someone banned. Depending on the misdemeanor, this may happen at strike 1 or at strike 5 (eg: very racist words in chat will be an instaban).

Unfair bans will happen, but they will be few and often with a lively mod community it will be solved. If someone cries unfair ban in public while his 'crime' was very banworth, mods can feel free to say or show what s/he did. That way the mod proves that their presence is necessary and they will gain respect from the community. Players will then strive to help out the mods to keep the community healthy.

Mods themselves aren't untouchable btw. If a mod is suspected of abusing their power, players can send a report. However they will need to provide examples of when and how this mod abused their power. If a player repeatedly sends a random report of a mod without any good evidence, they can get temp-banned.

I probably just parrotted what others said. xP
  11. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

All I can say is that I hope the ignore list is not capped. Best solution is to just ignore these people and eventually you will have filtered them out.

Now crude, vulgar, racist etc comments should warrant a ban imo.
  12. Flumbooze

Flumbooze New Cupcake

Or how about you open your mind and don't get offended that easily?

I feel like the only time you should ban someone for this is when it becomes harrassment and/or personal.
    Ego13 likes this.
  13. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

/report + /ignore = Solved k thnx bye.
  14. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

This...
    Along with thicker skin.

Seriously. You can easily sort out the undesirables and not spend time with them, I'm not sure how it's logical to try and ruin their time, also. Seems a bit hypocritical.

Don't get me wrong...I absolutely hate trolls, however, the way things are in the current online culture too many people categorize ANYONE that disagrees with them openly as a troll. Anyone that proves them wrong (which generally is humiliating) is a troll.

This leads to abuse on both sides of the fence and really only ups the staff needs of an MMO, a healthy online community should be able to easily ignore, avoid, and not provide the positive reinforcement(attention)...then the trolls get bored.

You have the way that you enjoy things online, as do I, but so do they and who's to say who is right or wrong? If you claim it's the majority then I would bet that's counter to quite a few of your ideals in your every day life.....