1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Only 6 classes at launch?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by drkgt, May 28, 2013.

1. drkgt

drkgt New Cupcake

Is this count confirmed to be final and if so how does everyone else feel about it? Given the fact that they said there will be 40 man raids....6-7 of each class just doesn't sound all that great to me.

IMO they should either really push for at least 8 classes by launch or drop raid sizes to 10/20.
  2. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

Yup, 6 classes. I don't have a problem with it, its enough without making the game feel bloated with skills and balance issues. Plus the path system which in itself is like a mini class. So no, I'm pretty alright with it.
    Saybel and SilentJ like this.
  3. MrWASDclick

MrWASDclick Cupcake

But every class is effectively a hybrid. So we'll have three tanking classes, three healing classes (or two tank, two heal, and two... controllers ala DCUO maybe?) and all of them can DPS. Plus we have the milestones that change the way you play your character and might bring great benefits to your raid. There's path abilities too. So while you'll see about 5-6 of every class in a 40-man raid, the variations between those same classes can be greater than, say, WoW, where everything is cookie-cutter.
    ruff_ethereal, Sonntam and Kethrym like this.
  4. Coolio

Coolio New Cupcake

I think 6 is enough for now. Even though there will be 6-7 of each class per raid you have to think of it a different way.

For instance, the ability bar is very limited. So two espers or warriors wont necessarily have the exact same abilities or buffs.
    While 1 esper may focus on single heals, another may bring to the table group heals and protection spells.
    It enables a ton of variety within each class.
    However, most people will probably go for the spells that ensure the highest dps. This usually ends up being primarily one spec choice.

I can only hope that there wont be a certain choice of skills that outshine all the rest.
    Sonntam likes this.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Although I bet we'll see up to 10+ of some classes in 40 mans while others might only get up to 3-4 in a raid. I doubt the number of people playing each class will be equal. Should be fun though. I hope I'll end up playing a rarer class and I hope that doesn't mean my class is rare because it's underpowered. :(
  6. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

It may be 7-8 of each class, but each class has multiple roles they can fill.
  7. drkgt

drkgt New Cupcake

That is another concern. End game raiding tends to be all about optimal set ups, which will probably kill any diversity in builds.
  8. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I think the number of viable endgame specs is far more important than the number of actual classes. Six classes with huge action bars and only a couple of specs each that won't get you kicked out of a raid isn't very interesting, but neither is a dozen classes with huge action bars and only a couple of viable specs.

Six classes with limited action bars, lots of talents, and a good number of usable specs? That could actually add a lot more complexity to a group, with the added benefit of not locking people into specific endgame builds and rotations based on choices they made in the character creation screen.
    Sonntam, SilentJ and Kethrym like this.
  9. Coolio

Coolio New Cupcake

Thats so true. I always hated being the same spec as someone else who plays the same class. It annoys me. I like to be different and not be forced to do the same stuff everyone else does.

I'm praying for change and a multitude of viable specs.
    Maurodax, Sonntam and drkgt like this.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

I hope tanking in 40 mans won't be just 1-2 people either, otherwise there will simply be too many tanks. :p
    Sonntam likes this.
  11. drkgt

drkgt New Cupcake

I hope they can pull that off then...
  12. Xlugon Pyro

As long as I can:

1> Tank viably with my chosen class (obviously with one that's supposed to be tank capable)
    2> Melee DPS and have a blast doing it
    3> Be a unique/rare class to my raid (having the fewest of my class in the raid or close to it)
    4> Look like a baws in my gear and with my weapon

I will be happy with the class set up.

I will hope though that Wildstar makes adding classes to expansions a regular occurrence as well, especially if they decide to continue with 40 mans a year or two after WS is out.
  13. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I don't want to sound like a downer here but I find it highly unlikely there's going to be more then one raid viable dps spec per class (unless there are obvious distinctions in perks like a combat Vs assassination rogue).
    You might have raid heal/tank helas bars and boss tank/adds tank bars but there's really no need to have single target/aoe bars because single target dps is the only dps that matter unless the fight is specifically set up for AoE (and its unlikely the majority of bosses will be AoE centric).
    drkgt likes this.
  14. drkgt

drkgt New Cupcake

You are probably right, which is why I don't understand why they went for 40 mans. Having 7 stalkers in a raid mashing the same abilities just doesn't seem very appealing.
  15. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

That's why we have to keep Carbine in the loop, and hopefully they will take our feedback seriously. So far their track record is great, we can only hope the cooperation between players and devs stays important to Carbine.
    Rylia likes this.
  16. Shaigh

Shaigh Cupcake

There will be 6 damage dealers, 3 melee, 3 ranged, you will have 3 healers and 3 tanks. I don't see the game becoming any better because you introduce a 4th melee/ranged/healer/tank, all you get is more balance issues and underdeveloped classes.
    Kataryna and Sera Serenity like this.
  17. Shoogli

Shoogli Cupcake-About-Town

My feedback : I don't mind less classes. What I always mind in MMOs is less races. SO I'd rather have more races than classes.

With that in mind there is also the way classes fill roles depending on specs and how varied the specs are.

It's true that in some other MMOs you can have more classes, or more archetypes, but if those are pidgeonholed into specific funneled specs not allowing proper balanced hybrid specs (SWTOR am looking at you...) then what you have is the *illusion* of more classes...
    SilentJ likes this.
  18. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

When you only get to bring ~30% of you abilities to the table, there going to be some trade-offs, sure you might have 7 stalkers bringing the same four abilities, one might switch out one because he got extra bleed effect than the others, but it's the other six abilities that will play the difference; 2/7 are tanks so they bring tank abilities and others needs to bring a CC or situational buffs or what ever.

We don't know much about raiding so why start complaining over how it will not work as our guesses might not even be in the ballpark. Last time we saw 40 man raiding we were given 1 tank, 1 melee dps, 3 range dps and 3 healers spread out over 8 classes, by providing 3 tanks, 3 melee dps, 3 range dps and 3 healers in the group they have already done an improvement.
  19. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

And you can change your mind about what your role is, and still use the character.

I.e. you start a Spellslinger, and you think going the healer route sound really great. You start leveling and find out you hate healing, or you’re really bad at it; you don’t have to drop that character and reroll another one, you can switch that character over to DPS or a Hybrid, and continue to play it.
    Kataryna likes this.
  20. Aladen

Aladen Cupcake

Only? Well I ask you, 6 is for me a lot (for beggining). You can not say that only. Btw. with the development of the game should get a new class.
    First try to max up one of them..