1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Only Swords?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Sweetloaf, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Sweetloaf

Sweetloaf Cupcake

Seems a bit odd that there's only swords for the Warrior class. I mean, a tech-axe/mace has so much potential. I've never been a fan of the "GIANT ASSSSSSS SWORD" dynamic in games, it just looks silly in my opinion. Anyone else feel this way, or have information regarding different melee weapons?
    [​IMG]
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Yes, each class only has one weapon. they've done this because they're individually animating each ability for the classes. and an Axe swings differently than a sword, as does a giant hammer.
    Kerphos likes this.
  3. Sweetloaf

Sweetloaf Cupcake

That's really upsetting, but I understand it. Though, axes/hammers would swing almost identically..
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

they'd still need different animations - take a look at stalker vids - they have those slashes in the air, makes me suspect that they'd be on most classes as well, so a hammer slash would be different than axes and swords etc.
    Kerphos likes this.
  5. Sweetloaf

Sweetloaf Cupcake

Looking through the Armory thread (which I somehow missed before posting this) I saw some swords that have a nice, solid axe feel to them. I am suitably satisfied with that.
    Kerphos and BlindSear like this.
  6. Agneos

Agneos Cupcake

They've done this for the reasons already stated, but keep in mind that they've also stated that this gives them more creative possibilities. They've said they can really play with extreme models and really take them to new heights while still making them, for example, the Tech-Sword for Warriors. As an example, the Stalker has claws, but they've displayed a screen shot of a Stalkers claw's as "Techy" Chainsaws.[​IMG]
  7. Rizzalliss

Rizzalliss Cupcake

Maybe it was simply growing up playing games like FFVII, but I love big swords. I always have preferred sword over axe, and I rather enjoy the idea of being good enough to effectively wield an absurdly large one.

That being said, I know I was mildly disappointed when I first learned of only one weapon type per class, but I have come to accept it.
  8. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

"Fearless bruisers that give as good as they get, Warriors are at their best when charging into the fray. Equipped with a heavy battle suit, and armed with a giant tech-sword and a plasma blasting arm cannon, Warriors use hyper-charged kinetic cells which allow the use of powerful attacks and greatly improve their destructive potential."

So what's all this about plasma cannons? Just some special medium-long range abilities?
  9. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

They're either an off hand stat stick or just an animation tied to abilities (or both). I imagine it could be useful to get snap threat on a rogue add out of melee range (like death coil) or the like.
  10. Dragon

Dragon Cupcake

Pretty sure I've seen a clip of a warrior pulling a mob at range with said arm cannon, maybe one of the Dev Speak vids. Can't remember off hand, but if I find it I'll post it!
  11. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

As long as they give us different kinds of swords I'll be happy. I usually like those giant two handed "broadswords" (not even a real broadsword is that large), but so far they're all variations on the same basic long rectangle shape. Since they're the only swords we've seen in Wildstar that I've actually started to resent them. Give us some sleek, thin sabers, or rapiers, or long swords, anything else! Something that's meant for piercing, cutting or slicing instead of just bashing. I don't care if my character swings a thin sword around with both hands like an idiot, I'm starving for variety here.
  12. NerdEsq

NerdEsq Cupcake

They are going to be quite liberal with the term sword when designing it seems. So, I wouldn't worry too much. :)
  13. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Have you actually looked at the armory? I think they're all large, but there's some that remind me more of a Bleach type of sword.

The one all the way to the right, it looks fairly sinister and sleek, even if still on the large side:
    [​IMG]
  14. Cottonspore

Yeah, I've looked at the armory. Bleach type swords aren't really what I'm hoping for. The swords in the image are still all a variation on the same greatsword proportions. The one on the right is slimmer, but it's still a sword meant for bashing; its tapering edge is incidental. Those swords have giant, block-like and thick blades because their primary purpose is to use their weight break bones and rupture internal organs. What I'm hoping they'll also give us are swords with long, slim, thin blades. Something with proportions more like this. Or proportions like this. And then pile on all the same techno-jazz the greatswords have. Just make it unrealistically long like all the others and you can still use the same two-handed animations.

Yeah, I think so too. If they're making swords this crazy, surely they're not going to have a problem with some skinnier (but equally crazy) ones too!
    Kerphos likes this.
  15. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I doubt you'll see many that are super skinny like that. They've made the warrior class to be more of a brute force, instead of finesse class, so a large mass with an edge is the most likely situation. They seem like the class also uses a buzz saw, and could even have more weapons up his sleeve. So, I'm doubting you'll see anything much slimmer than the one on the right, but I wouldn't doubt it if they made one that reminded you of a samurai sword, but I'm doubting anything like a fencer's foil or gin sword, due to the stabbing motion and lack of slashing usually indicative of these two weapons. I think the idea of these swords was more of a Scottish claymore type, where they're just big and equally part bashing as they are slashing.

Then again I think this'll end up fitting the warrior class well, in that I think the majority of it's "flavor" will come from brute force type things, as opposed to giving a sense of finesse. In other words if you had your giant granok holding a puny little fencer's foil, he'd just look silly flailing about, but with the big beastly sword it looks like a proper barbarian weapon.

The other thing is, a lot of the swords look like they're made out of some crazy rock, which looks somewhat brittle. This means that you need it to be bigger and thicker in order for it to not simply break in half.
  16. Cottonspore

Good points! They actually mostly look like they're made out of bright, shiny plastic to me... which would also break in half if it was any smaller. Anyway, you make a good case for why they might not make any slim swords. And the slim sword shape would throw a pretty big wrench in the "unique silhouette" thing they're going for if the essential part of the silhouette is having a giant rectangle sword. I still hope they won't just turn all the swords into bashing blocks exclusively, anyway, because I would like to play a warrior one day.
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I think you'll see slashing that are more refined than some of the ones depicted, but doubtful anything close to a stabbing style sword.
  18. Kerphos

Kerphos New Cupcake

It's sort of a Powerglove-do-it-all thing.

Shooting things - check.
    Long range plasma whip to pull things - check.
    Plasma Saw - check.

So it serves multiple purposes. I'm very eager to play my Soldier because of those huge swords and amazing secondary thing - this glove/bracer!
  19. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Far from it actually. A sword swing has one or two hands based on the hilt. The one exception is a person in plated armor using a greater sword may place their hands on the actual steel above the hilt for thrusts, parries, and the like.

Now for 2 handed axes / hammers / mauls one should swing these with one hand high and one hand at the the bottom of the handle. Throughout the swing, your high hand will slide down to your bottom hand. Plenty of games, and movies, don't depict this accurately, the games that do obviously have someone who has experience in the use of the item or someone with an understanding of physics (you'd think the later would be more common :D) .

Now remember these are tools and weapons at the same time, unlike the sword, so people using them effectively will be be doing so with the most momentum gained for cutting/smashing. Being tools, these weapons don't have an effective thrust motion when compared to swords - another animation difference. Now I've seen warhammers /2 handed blunt weapons in games with a thrust knock back move, that's nice for fantasy :p

1 Handed axes / hammers are more similar to one handed blades, removing thrusting attacks, with axe / hammer handles often allowing the hand placement anywhere as opposed to something like a mace, morningstar, or flail which often have specified handles.

Sounds like you found something like what you wanted, so good :) I prefer axes to swords myself.
  20. Sweetloaf

Sweetloaf Cupcake

I think you misunderstood my post, though your reply was very insightful for those unaware of Ax-etiquette. I think it would have been better for them to have chosen the axe/mace combo instead of the sword due to them having similar/same technique, i.e. slamming that thing into your target.

I did see a couple designs that are rather axe-y.
    [​IMG]

The 3rd from the right looks suitably badass, with the far right coming in close second. I think all the other ones look very uninspiring; especially the keyblade (lol?) I hope they release some models with less of a neon-crystal material and let us swing good 'ole fashionede iron and steel.

EDIT: I also don't support stabbing/slender blades. Our finesse class is the stalker, and they get all the stabbing, poking, rending blades they need. I would prefer to have a giant lump hammer instead.
    NigthmareSystem and Eluldor like this.