1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Only Swords?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Sweetloaf, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Ya interpreted it different than what you had intended. With the way they are having the Warrior use the 2 handed sword, they could easily change that into another 2 handed smash into your enemy weapon. I think that's what you meant, now that I have looked at it again. Since the 2 handed sword is being used as a slam into your target weapon for the Warrior, having an axe/mace weapon, or skins at least would be preferable for me as well.

Key blade is definitely least liked there, and having more traditional appearances are always nice options. Although this class isn't the first I plan on playing, will be getting to it at some point :)
  2. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

This is a pretty interesting conversation, and I feel it comes down to two primary factors.

The first being that while axe and hammer would share modeling features and allow new more varieties of items it comes with its own set of issues, namely that people expect axes to have skills related to cutting, and hammers are expected to have skills related to... well bashing. From a gaming perspective axes are viewed as excessively damaging items which cut in gruesome ways, ie DPS weapons. While hammers are viewed as items related to stuns and debilitations, ie Control/PvP weapons. The outcry over hammers and axes sharing identical skill sets would lead to dissatisfaction among a small, but probably vocal minority resulting in disparaging comments about the game for no reason at all.

The second reason I think, is the iconic nature of swords as a weapon. Swords are the only weapon that was designed for the sole purpose of killing another human being (This point is debatable admittedly, but that's for another thread/PM if someone wants to do so). So those who are viewed as warriors in most societies are tied to swords as their iconic weapon. This has resulted in swords being tied heavily to knights and samurai and many other warriors despite the realities of combat during the respective historical periods associated. Swords are warrior weapons from a Western cultural perspective, and are the best weapon to give to the heavily armored melee class if the designers want to create that connection for their player base.
    Eluldor and Fishsticks like this.
  3. Victim

Victim New Cupcake

Yea would be nice for me likes Axes!
  4. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

I think this is the crux of the point for me as well, as I could see the need to add new skills becoming cumbersome as well as possibly causing balance issues.

What I really don't like/understand is the earlier stated mentality that "it would need different animations"... so what? Countless other games have multiple animations for different weapons on the same class. Telling me it would take more animations sounds a lot like "we dont feel like it" to me (IMHO)
  5. Furor Tuetonicus

While not an industry insider per se, I've had a rather unique opportunity due to some of the people I'm friends with to see how a triple-A MMO title gets put together. I can't tell you without a doubt that it is not a matter of "we don't feel like it." Animators, especially talented ones, don't grow on trees and the budget for animations get's squeezed exceedingly fast. In fact, I've seen entire classes cut from a game because of animation budgets. Turbine could spend more money hiring animators to give the players our weapon wishes, or it could take those salaries and turn it into coders, designers and testers who work to provide the customer base with the finest, most bug free game they can.

When looking at a game like WoW or (more in a more limited manner) SWToR, its easy to lose perspective on animations. All Jedi/Warrior characters in SWToR have the exact same animations regardless of race, class or body type, with minor variations for dual wielding, as well as all Counselor/Sorcerer classes, and the list goes on. In WoW, each race/gender combination gets attack and cast animations for one handed, off hand, and two handed weapons and that is the limit, even the shield bash animation for warriors is an off hand weapon attack.

I haven't seen enough of the classes in action to be certain, but it appears that the weapon animations are all class and maybe gender based, meaning that if you change one classes animation, then the rigs for every race that can be that class, needs to be re-examined by the art department to verify that it works.
    Not only that, given the highly mobile nature of the combat, and the nature of tells each attack animation needs to match the timing of the skill its attached to, so that when a warrior swings his sword, the damage applies at the right time, giving the receiving player the opportunity to mitigate the damage. Imagine adding even one weapon, its 30-some-odd skills, and subsequent perfectly timed animations to the game. The Turbine art department would need to adjust 2-3 male and female player race rigs to go with it.

Turbine no doubt recognized this cost, and made a financial and design decision to keep this aspect of their class system simple so that they could splurge on other aspect of design, art and animation.

TLDR(again...See the pattern here? >.>)
    Its a lot of hard, expensive work to add a new weapon to the game after the combat has been fleshed out in as far as it has been already.

(edited for readability)

6. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Take heart friend, it is good news that they aren't throwing in axes or HAMMAHS!!!!!!!! It means that at some point a new class with come out that can use one of them and with as much effort as they have put into the animations of the "blade" classes they will be dirty.

Just think, HAMMAH wielder jumping all over the place with his mallet of meat mashing ground pounding and if they double jump then pound they leave behind a crater.... I'm getting giddy.
  7. Furor Tuetonicus

This. 100 times this.

Eventually hammers axes and possibly even handed swords and daggers will find their way into the game, and all of them will be as cleanly added to the game as possible because they won't be rushed.
  8. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

If you check out the wiki they have some of the icons for abilities like:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Suggests that we may see at least large maces in future content patches. They want to keep PvP silhouettes as identifiable as possible though, so expect the maces and axes to look similar to the current Greatsword models (Great axes and great maces wielded upright). It is likely that we will see reskin type deals, similar to the stalker weapons ranging from daggers to needles to swords to claws to chainsaws.
  9. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Enemy npcs have also been confirmed to wield multiple different types of weapons. I've seen staffs used as ranged casting weapons, maces, rifles, shotguns and I think some sort of wand, but that was one of the little tiki dudes and it may of had more to do with his size (also my having to run around, flip around and dodge around) that I confused a staff for a wand.

But yes on launch it is currently confirmed that each class will get one weapon type to add towards the classes "silhouette". I was worried about this until I saw the dizzying array of weapon skins for each type, some of which are in ArdentSun's armory thread! :D
  10. Dende

Dende Cupcake

IF something like this is inthe game , i'm so gonna roll warrior : )
    [​IMG]
  11. Rizzalliss

Rizzalliss Cupcake

Heh, good luck getting around that copyright infringement. ;)
  12. Riuuki

Riuuki Cupcake

BIG swords (and small ones, it's not the size that matters.. It's how you use it).
  13. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

I like that they're focusing only on single weapons for each class at this point.

This is letting them create a bunch of diverse skins for those weapons, tailor skills so that they're flavorful and interesting, *and* lets them expand the game in the (hopefully near) future with new weapon options.

It also lets them focus on other areas of the game that, honestly, are more important right now. I'd much rather have a fun, interesting world, cool mounts, enjoyable encounters, and awesome gameplay than a few more weapon options.
  14. vicksen

vicksen Cupcake

I kind of prefer having only one weapon type per class, because usually that all I end up with anyway. I.e. with caster classes in mmos I almost ALWAYS choose a staff if there's a decent option. Or daggers for a rogue...or pistols for spellslinger :)