1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Open Beta and Early Access

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Scarzi, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Scarzi

Scarzi Cupcake-About-Town

Please wipe characters after open beta and do not have early access, its the lamest <REDACTED> that any MMO can pull.

2. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

This is not the official WildStar forum so I don't know why you think that wildstar-central have anything to do with the direction of the game.

Maybe you're practicing the type of vapid post that we see often on an official forum game, you know just a statement without any concrete fact, argument or good stated opinion. Your post is not even a question or an invitation for further discussion just a statement about you.

So tell me OP, Why do you think early access is the LAMEST an MMO can pull?
    Rumze likes this.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Kusiga and Cogburn like this.
  4. Scarzi

Scarzi Cupcake-About-Town

A) Economy hi-jacking
    B) Everyone is even out the gate
    C) Shady way to draw more money out of players.
    D) It forces you to buy it because you will be left behind by friends/guildies which leads back to C.
    E) Bad First Impression (could run into massive server issues which could have been caught in advanced if the tech/programming teams had more time tweaking servers. Its happened in one to many MMOs. 3-5 days is a lot of time).
    F) LESS revenue in the future, if E happens word of mouth with spark like wildfire and turn off anyone awaiting the verdict out of the gate.
  5. WavE

WavE Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I like it when I get early access and my character not wiped, because it lessens the pressure and over saturation of release (while still giving players that release feeling). I also of course like the chance to get max level as soon as possible, because I want to start doing end content asap.

That's just me though :inlove:
    Alverad likes this.
  6. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Early access is what, 3 days usually? ya, you're going to be "left behind" because of that. What about all those players with jobs and families who can't play until the weekend, we need everyone to hold off playing until Saturday when "normal" people have the weekend off so that they dont get left behind guildies and such.

[​IMG]
    Alverad, Taherr, Psistorm and 3 others like this.
  7. EndOfMortality

EndOfMortality New Cupcake

All this "headstart" whine is pure crybaby tears haha.

As if silly 3-5 days would change anything at all in the big picture.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  8. HappinessFactory

HappinessFactory Cupcake

Putting all rationality and practicality aside...

Early release does seem shady. I mean to players like me it's essentially pushing up the release date... without actually pushing up the release date and limited to those with access. And it's ESPECIALLY shady if early access involves pre-orders.

A few weeks from release it might not matter. BUT right now I am immensely jealous of the people who are playing the closed beta, and their current characters are going to be wiped by the time release comes around. That jealousy would be so much worse if I didn't participate in early release.

IMHO I wish the game would come out a few days earlier so everyone had the choice to play earlier if they liked to. Instead of jumping through some pre-order/beta participation hoops in order to play the game as soon as possible.
  9. Radovan

Radovan New Cupcake

If you are like me, it means 36-60 hours of gaming :D So ya,i think it would change
  10. WavE

WavE Cupcake-About-Town

when you think the total time you will play this game overall, your argument becomes pretty silly ^^y
    Alverad likes this.
  11. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

You see, most people will want to be ahead of the curve. The extra time is just developers basically saying wait wait, nothing will change in three days. I mean really what they do to make you pissed off about early access. I mean if you don't plan on getting the game day one anyway why would you care if they launch the game early.... To me early aceess is just a goat that basically says we are done with the game this is our real launch that we sugar coat and many people that planed on getting the game would have already got if they actually cared. There is nothing to get an advantage of another player.

First there will always be a wipe after 'open' beta. though early access last so short. most game heads that have to wait that long will end up catching up or beating the others that have had the access just a bit earlier.

people will be at end game in probably less than a month. Most people wont get there till about 2 months with 150-175 hours planed to be in the game till launch. By the time most people are there they will have had the first major content update.

Seriously you will not be far behind in the grand part of things. Now run along, if you don't want to be apart of early access then don't
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Since people like pictures so much, here is another one:
    [​IMG]
    I also think it's rather good they have it for the sole reason of less people being in the same area at the same time. This way it's spread out a bit better and you don't have ''fight'' for those few items you need to pick off the ground.
    Alverad, Siflay and Konoko like this.
  13. lee sinclair

lee sinclair Cupcake

I aint gonna buy it till after release anyway. gonna wait for the reviews first this time arround dont much fancy spendin cash before ive tried it out, not that £25 or whatevers alot of cash..i just dont like givin me cash to greedy hype merchants.(sto,swtor blah blah)
    If games a winner then in a month or two most release day gamers are gonna be max lvl. an a few more months noone will care who made lvl 50 first and the few days differance in access at release wont have any effect.
    Go make a cuppa an sit down an relax..post release non of this will matter.
  14. WavE

WavE Cupcake-About-Town

Actually first level 50 isn't important. But first world and realm kills of raids will be, because it's much harder and represents a community as well. :inlove:
  15. kongpong

kongpong Cupcake

Early access is a good thing imo it helps have launch issues. People that buy early are already the fans of the game so if there are issues they will deal with those better and hopefully when the official release date hits those issues are all gone. Then the people that did wait to buy will get better reviews by people playing and will be more willing to buy the game.

Just look at FF relaunch they had all the early access sale numbers yet screwed it up royally and overall I think they lost out on a lot of players due to all the bad reviews.
  16. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

A) There are so many people who get early access a select few can't get control of the economy.
    B) Servers can't really handle everyone starting playing at the same time. Better to let some people in early and move out of the starting zones before letting more people in.
    C) It would be if it actually cost more. In most MMOs I've seen the early access just comes from pre-ordering rather then waiting for launch.
    D) If you don't buy the game you'll be left behind anyway. If your waiting for feedback and reviews you'ld be better off waiting a month or so after launch to see how the game is when the dust is settled.
    E) If they needed 3-5 more days then they can just push the release date and therefore the headstart date back. But in most cases the reasons why MMO launches are so poor isn't because they were "just 5 days short" but rather they hadn't stress tested the servers well enough.
    F) If people are playing before launch (early access) and report the game is <REDACTED> then yes, it could impact those that were waiting community feedback before purchasing. But how is that a bad thing?
  17. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

Early Access is great. I'll have it and I can't wait.

Also Early access starts on the weekend normally. Because software releases on a Tuesday and a 3 day head start would be on Saturday.
  18. Mordakai

Mordakai Cupcake

Hell, I like early access just for the chance of getting a name I like....
    RavenWind, Alverad and Kataryna like this.
  19. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Except those raids are different from week to week, so even who killed it first is immaterial. Especially since the leader boards are going to reflect who killed it fastest, not first.
  20. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

I would bet you'll see both first and fastest.

I believe I also heard that they may not have leader boards ready at launch.