1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Open Beta and Early Access

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Scarzi, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Games have early access to make launch smoother. They entice players (via early time advantage) to pre-order so that they can gauge the initial server needs for a stable and balanced game population. The early access spreads out players' initial entry into the world to make that experience both enjoyable from a technical (lag) and gameplay (quest objective density/flow) aspect. The developers can also stagger early access a bit like they did with SW:TOR to make the experience even smoother. This also allows the developers to analyze more accurate population data to predict launch and future server needs.

It doesn't draw any more money out of players (unless early access is limited to special editions only) as you either buy the game or you don't, and they could even have it save you 3-5 days of playtime as the developers/publisher could decide not to start the gametime until launch.

Yes, the game could be bad, so the early access people could dissuade others from buying it before launch, but that is only a good thing for consumers. It is also highly unlikely because the early access people pre-ordered so will be hyped up already, which won't fade in 3-5 days. More likely, especially for Wildstar, players will already judge the game during open beta, so any negative reviews will be well before early access.
    teh_ninjaneer and Livnthedream like this.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

At first I am sure we will see "first" if for no other reason than habit. I fully expect that to fall off though as fastest is what gets the additional attention/rewards. Similarly do not be surprised if we go back to strats being held close to the chest, and videos not getting released until the next week.

As for leader boards getting delayed, I would not be surprised. I almost expect then to come in the first major update since that is right about when most of the player base will be getting into them anyway.
    Bnol likes this.
  3. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

I am hopeful for this, as figuring out that puzzle is a lot of fun that was stripped from raiding in WoW with PTR and World first videos.
  4. Livnthedream

One can hope. While it would not be surprising if that happens, I cannot help but feel the amount of traffic driven by the mouth breathing bads who think they are raiders will influence many into breaking down strats on a weekly basis just for ad revenue.
  5. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Obviously they should wipe characters from beta, but early access is fine and even necessary for a smoother launch.
  6. Livnthedream

I wouldn't say its "obvious" to wipe characters from beta, as it depends on how many and what changes are made from the beta period and launch.
  7. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

I suppose since the OP labeled it as 'open beta', that means anyone can join it. If that's the case, then...I still don't like it, but it's not as horrible as if they carried over characters from a 'closed beta', which would be totally unfair and disastrous.

I don't see any problems with the standard policy of allowing players to gain entry to early access through pre-orders, which is the norm. You could look at that as a 3-day 'open beta' right up to launch day. This is why arguing semantics and terminology is a waste of time. What I'm against is if only players who were invited to join the beta can carry those characters over into launch. That would be a problem.
  8. Livnthedream

Why? How is that any different from the people who can go on vacation and play for a week strait while you have to work? Traditionally it was seen as unfair due to having advantages from bugs and tuning. At the very least they are still going to have an advantage on you because they have tons more practice, and know what materials they will need and where to get them .

The "its unfair" is a weak argument.
  9. Gdek

Gdek New Cupcake

Just because closed beta players already have an advantage doesn't mean you should say, "Hell may as well go all the way, and leave the rest of the player base without a chance in hell of catching up". The difference between closed beta testers and people taking vacation time for the first week is choice. Beta testers were picked entirely by random. Everyone potentially has the option to take some time off work if the really cared that much.
  10. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Pro-tip: saying it's a weak argument does not make it a weak argument. A divergence of opinion is simply that.

But to answer your question as to why: because it doesn't afford the opportunity for everyone to participate in the beta and gain that head start. I don't know why you're comparing it taking vacation from work...one has nothing to do with the other. It's simply a matter of priorities and needs. Can you afford to take some time off work? Can you not? Well, that's a choice you have to make. There is no choice if you don't even have access to the beta. It's just random luck.

And to curb your next argument I'll just say I'm a believer in opportunity, not entitlement. As long as everyone has the opportunity to join, there's no problem. Giving a massive advantage to a select few...does that really sound like a good idea? Does a new mmo really want to make such a division in their playerbase at launch? Think about these things.
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  11. Livnthedream

No, its a weak argument because within a 1-2 months period everyone will be "caught up" anyway. That is what happens in tier based progression systems. These games are non-zero sum because that is what keeps players around and them making money, as such there is no real "getting ahead" because everyone caps out.
  12. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

M
    Most likely cos they won't be needed? If the game follows the path they outlined, it will be a few good weeks before anyone gets to a raid first of any sort - plenty of time for a patch :)

And on the OP, this is very much the "entitlement"creeping in yet again. We're not the same, some can afford to pre purchase, some get lucky with betas, some don't - some are great gamers, some aren't. No one is entitled to anything other then to enjoy a product they paid for as their own spare time allows it.

Following that train of thought, we should all wait for the sowest player out there to hit cap before gaining access to any endgame, cmon, be rational ;)
  13. Scarzi

Scarzi Cupcake-About-Town

what?
  14. WavE

WavE Cupcake-About-Town

You got owned, that's what ><D
    Livnthedream likes this.
  15. Scarzi

owned by what? He completely put words in my mouth and created his own argument. A simple everyone starts on the same day and the let cards fall from there which is my argument from post 1. He says that I said that everyone is entitled to be successful. So again, what?

I seen people mostly support early access, its cool I respect it. But it always will be a shady way to get more money out of a player. I will naturally get it if it is out, because I want any advantage I can get. But, its still lame as <REDACTED> because if they do that, you know they will do other lame cash grabbers if they ding you for early beta. Call me a liar on it.
  16. Livnthedream

I will feel free to call you a liar because its not a cash grab. You are not paying any more for the privilege. A little internal logic would be nice. Especially since he did not put any words in your mouth at all. Your entire argument is that everyone should be allowed to be equal, when they clearly aren't.
    Alverad likes this.
  17. Arkavien

Arkavien Cupcake

How is it shady to both reward people who buy the game early AND help server stability by spreading population out more? Seems like a win win.
    Alverad likes this.
  18. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

I honestly have no problem with an open beta wipe. Often times when the floodgates are opened for the first time you will see people take advantage of game breaking bugs that do not get exposed until open beta. I am completely fine with early access though. Early access helps to spread out zone distribution which lightens the overall server load.
  19. Scarzi

yeah at the very START. Like any other normal game 10 years ago. Whats hard about that? And every early access has a price tag on it or catch. Either money or you have to do it like 4 months in advanced so they can re-nag on just about everything they promise. Look at FF:ARR, pre-order 3-4 months in advanced expecting everything they said would be out, what do you get...HALF of that they promised on release(and its still not even in the game and it was promised to be in 2 months after launch, its be 3 and 1/2 months). When did they tell the player base that the 25-man and pvp was not going to be at launch, 3 weeks before launch.
  20. Livnthedream

You really believe that the majority of pre orders are people who wouldn't buy the game otherwise?