1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Partnering With Steam.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Mellkor, Jul 14, 2013.

?

Should WildStar Be on Steam?

1. Yes

50.7%
  2. No

49.3%
  1. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Should Wildstar be on steam?

From a business perspective..

Pros:
    • Extreme Exposure
    Cons:
    • Loss in revenue on box sale
    I think its unlikely but it would be great for the consumer....
    *NC Soft has previously partnered with Steam.
  2. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

The only time a MMO has to be on steam is when it's around it's 10 year of lifetime, no one plays it, is totally desperate and wants to squeeze the last chunk of money they can get.
    Saybel and RedSam777 like this.
  3. Mellkor

Why?

I cant agree with that. I think making it accessible only leads to more players and thus sales..

I can see where you get that form tho, Many mmorpgs on steam are the f2p converts but games like planet side 2 have had a positive effect from being on steam.

Also, Do you really want the NcSoft launcher/Patcher over steam? That thing is horrid.
  4. Drarorm

But Planetside already has tons of money/ SOE is pretty well known, I am pretty sure Carbine will have their own launcher/patcher like Arenanet had, plus when I pay for this game I want to give my money to Carbine and Ncsoft, not to Valve. Except Planetside 2, what other MMO, of a company that isn't well known, can you tell me about? I can't think of any and there isn't any, because it's a pretty terrible idea to put your MMO there.

Yeah sure, more people will see that this game exists when they see it on the front page of Steam for the 3 days of glory they will have, then it will fade away somewhere in the store. Plus the bigger chunk of the steam peoples still play WoW.
  5. AimLock

AimLock Cupcake

What its not going to be F2P :) ?
  6. Evolva

Evolva Cupcake

The Secret World from Funcom is on steam.

What i don't understand is why people want every game to be on steam. Was i in a 10 years coma (without noticing) and Steam is the only place to buy games nowadays?

What's the big deal about Steam? I don't get it.
    Taher and RedSam777 like this.
  7. Mellkor

Its a digital library of games. I will never lose my discs, Or have to manually go to every games website to download it again.
    Ennui, 9bit, Psistorm and 1 other person like this.
  8. Drarorm

Because people want to have a console on the PC. That's why Steam is a thing.

The Secret World didn't launch on Steam though.
  9. Mellkor

What?
  10. Lesh

Lesh Cupcake

Steam had really grown in the last 10 years. I used to hate it because I had to have steam to play Counter strike but now I actually like it. I think it's a pretty great platform. That being said, I don't care if Wildstar will be on Steam or not.
    BLAPPiN likes this.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

WildStar is one of the few games i'm really excited for (WoW vanilla being the last time).

For such a game I desperatly NEED, to have my hands on a genuine BOX + mayby real maps or other stuff inside!
    Steam doesn't have those things.....which is a great disadvantage for people who really like to have their hands on it.

I personally use Steam, and I frequently play games I got via Steam. But between you and me, when I download a game from Steam I immediatly get the feeling ''aw it may suck'', that is what Steam has for an effect on me.

Also when I see a game on Steam i usually first check it out on their official page anyway, hence the reason why most of my downloads are still being done ''outside of Steam''.
    Seriously are these the only reasons? :p
    Losing discs.....for me that's an OMG! ;) Just keep them on a ''game shelf'' or make something yourself to put them in. If you keep them all together this wouldn't need to be a problem.

Manually download it.....don't know how slow you are or your computer but it takes you....about 50 more seconds? Well if it's a good game isn't that worth it? And haven't you ever been on their site's just to get a better look into the game before downloading it?

TL;DR
    Gief me my BOX, Steam gives off a ''cheap feeling for me. I don't want WS to be felt ''cheap''.
    Sapien, Marik Drace, Taher and 5 others like this.
  12. Evolva

Evolva Cupcake

Exactly!

And here i was thinking that games box collectors were a rare breed nowadays :D
  13. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

That doesn't make sense, i have it as it combines everything together in one spot.

And nowadays it allows me to hook up my big ass screen to my pc easily and play games from a couch with a controller and better graphics than a console.

I would like it to be on steam as it's easier to keep all my games in one spot, with cloud saves, friend lists, community lists, workshop for addons and so forth. It has gotten really stable and it's only getting more and more feature heavy. I see no reason not to like it since you don't even have to buy from the steam store but from third parties and add steam keys there.

Only reason people might dislike it is they think valve will go bankrupt over night and we lose everything and those of course that dislike DRM, just for the sake of disliking DRM.

I own over 200 games on steam currently.

Oh yeah forgot to mention sales, whats' not to like about buying enough games you want to play for months to come for barely any money, can't remember any massive sales on games before steam.
  14. Mellkor

If i wanted a shrine i would just buy cheap empty boxes. The boxes serve no practical purpose after the game is installed except to show every visitor how much of a nerd you are..

If i have 200 steam games, I'm not going to visit 200 sites to download their clients, I will use steams system to systematically download, update and install every single one of them automatically.

Furthermore, Some games don't even need my credentials to login. I simply use my steam id. therefore i will never forget my mmo user name or password from an array of games i own.
    Granted this feature is still taking its footing, but its a great feature.

As for checking out a product, Steam offers Video previews of games coupled with forum feedback built into the client.
  15. Zanthia

Zanthia New Cupcake

I don't know how many game boxes I've saved up over the years, only to throw it away next time I move because it's just too much. Some hurt to throw away and others I didn't care. So I love Steam - it keeps track of all my games on all my computers at all times, and as I'm almost always on high speed internet any game is just a click away to be installed on any one computer. What's not to love?

Far as I know it's not either box or steam (unless that's what they decide on) and we can all have what we want. Imagine getting the availability that Steam gives, with your beautiful box up on the shelf at the same time? I guess it's something I'm missing when it comes to the negatives involving Steam.

(Disclaimer: I have no idea how things work behind the scenes with deals etc, so only speaking as an end user).
    teh_ninjaneer and Mellkor like this.
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

So everyone who would ''collect'' things is a nerd?.....

Also i've got them on the attic, only my closest family have ever seen them :p

Also does everything need to have a practical use? Heck, if we would take away everything that doesn't have a practical use aswell.....live's not gonna be much fun.

Also please read again......I was talking about the discs!! not the boxes....(see part you quoted) and disks can be stored without boxes.

Also what happens if something happens to your Steam account? I personally don't know what happens if someone hacks it and deletes games or does other things with it, and how easy it is to get things back, so if you know please tell me.
  17. Mellkor

No i'm saying everyone that comes to your house may perceive you as one :p

edit; Not you personally but in general.

What i'm getting at is I don't need a box or a disc. Its the digital age where everything is a click away.
    Which means games neither need a disc or box in order to be stored...
    I can never forget or lose a game when i visit someone or move house because its always just a click away.

I understand people collect things...but boxes and media of games is like keeping the shipping container from when you buy a new car....

If your in the right just get in contact with steam and they should resolve it. You can never have a game "deleted" from your account, It's either in an "Installed" or "uninstalled" state.
  18. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

imo digital is always more risky, if my PC crashes and i must reformate it, then i can always look in my box install the cd + the key access and play, instead of searching in my emails from months ago about THAT one message with the key code in it.
  19. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

Does League of Legends is on steam? NO

Does League of Legends is the most played game around the world? YES

Let the players spread the words of how great a game is to make it popular like we all did with our nintendo 64.
  20. Mellkor

But if your discs got damaged then you would be sol :p