1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Partnering With Steam.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Mellkor, Jul 14, 2013.

?

Should WildStar Be on Steam?

1. Yes

50.7%
  2. No

49.3%
  1. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

If we do see a steam launch, it's because the dwindling player numbers. We will never see steam inegration like Super mondaynight combat. Or spiral nights. It's even more pointless with the auction houses inside the game. Even though it's nice to buy games off steam, I do not think this game would do steam much justice. or the other way around. It's much like buying a Ubisoft game, then having to deal with Uplay at the same time. slightly more annoying than good. At first I was an advocate. But leave the few Indy MMOs on steam, and F2P games there.
    Blue Tunic Man likes this.
  2. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

Despite my overwhelming love for steam, Wildstar has no place for steam.
  3. Spracket

Spracket Cupcake-About-Town

I feel like your saying this as though it were a good thing. I get that Steam doesn't have complete power over who's developing what for the PC, but Steam has turned into a giant digital dollar store. Of course there are some amazing titles on Steam, but they're either rare or ancient at this point ( Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Bioshock). It's probably my fault for not doing enough research in the games I purchase on Steam, but I am getting pretty tired of slowly pissing money away dollar by dollar on cheap games that seem to have very little effort put into them. There are games on albinoblacksheep and newgrounds that had more effort put into them than some of the games you have to pay for on Steam.

I'm not saying every indie game is terrible, but there is way too much garbage to filter through. And that seems to be what Steam is turning into; a big bargain bin. Games that have enough merit to sell themselves don't need to be put on Steam.
  4. Blue Tunic Man

Yeah, you're right. There's a lot of garbage to shift through but there's steam reviews now which is pretty nice, allowing you to see what they put and how much time they played which gives you a gist of what there is. Maybe I'm not normal for looking at a ten minute video of what I'm going to play before hand before buying a game and relying solely on screenshots.
  5. Spracket

The fact that it needs to be done is the problem. Sure, going to a video game retailer requires the same sort of browsing and research, but that's entirely on the consumer; it's not the retailer's fault that it's supposed to sell these games. The games on Steam are chosen, be it through the community or otherwise, and as of late it seems to have had almost no filter.

Games like The War Z are still being sold on Steam, games that shouldn't have even been released, let alone seen a dime from anybody. Don't get me wrong, I used to love steam, but recently it's just been a disappointment. There are games being sold for full price on Steam that aren't even finished being made. Pre-ordering to test a beta is one thing, but paying $30 to play an indie game in early alpha stage is disgusting. Minecraft didn't have the gall to charge that much, and even with the success it's had, it's still under that price.
  6. Blue Tunic Man

I get you.

War Z was tore down at first but that abomination of a game is still up and probably suckering in people as we speak. I'd give you a cop out "Well, you don't have to buy those early games" but you're right, it can be a bit shifty to buy those early access games on steam even with proper research on it. Sure, you might even did your reviewing but if you find out you don't like the direction it's going you're pretty screwed of a couple of ducats.

However, I think this isn't exactly steam's fault alone and more representative the way the gaming industry's going as a whole and whoring out everything for DLC at the expense of the company's dignity. Even people are defending this practice, usually going "How DARE a business make money" or claim to be responding logically.

It's kind of sad because if they were responding logically they'd put their interests, as a consumer, first before accepting the fact that train simulator 2014 has over 3k in DLC or consoles blah blah blah. I imagine you get it, it's becoming a thing to see how much money they can soak out of a person before they let loose a sufficient enough outcry.

But as for my blurb as indie being a perk on steam? I still think it is, despite it's flaws behind it and I have caught a many a good titles on it.
  7. Spracket

I guess I'm just tired of seeing them everywhere. I buy my fair share of good indie games, I just wish they weren't my only option on Steam. And to bring it back to the main topic, I see Wildstar going on Steam as a one-way benefit in Steam's direction. People will buy it off of Steam out of convenience, when in reality, Carbine doesn't need to put it there. And on that, we agree.
  8. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth
    Team Fortress 2 is still one of the best games on Steam imo.
    If Wildstar ever is on Steam however, I probably wouldn't play it. Steam is where Games go to die, or to suckle that last little bit of money out of peoples wallets.
  9. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

What about skyrim?
  10. Spracket

Exactly. That game is ancient by now. It has two expansions and they've re-released it like twice. Also, it's not an MMO. The MMOs you find in Steam are either F2P, long dead, or frighteningly bad. Wildstar would be sitting on the shelf next to Star Trek Online and DCUO.
  11. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

That does not make any sense.... Many PC gamers don't buy a game unless it is steam. Most PC gamers have the client always on. Games sell large volumes on steam, they go there to get MORE players. Because their own marketing has failed. Steam markets ALL their games amazingly well. When that is worth that 30% cut? Im not sure at launch. I know for a FACT that eventually even GW2 will be sold on steam. People put thier product on steam if they want great advertising relatively cheap. Or a Acceptable DRM scheme. If they choose to put wildstar into steam, with it's tight community (for those that participate) If the game is good. You will have some of the largest sales of all time, (skyrim) Steam lets the community prosper with the developer. Why I don't think they need steam to sell wildstar, nor steam needs them for wildstar. There is more Cons for a Fresh MMORPG, this genre exclusively, To be there at launch. They are not designing this game to work with Steam-works, or Steam workshop. So that is out of the window. The only people that may benefit this game being on steam would be Valve. The publisher/Developer maybe. But that is a huge maybe. Especially launching the game there. Bad things flow rapidly through steam. Good things radiate.
    RavenWind likes this.
  12. Spracket

That's exactly what he's saying, but maybe he should have elaborated. Steam is where MMORPGs go to die because they weren't successful to begin with. They try to get some more sales from Steam. Seeing an MMO on Steam is simply a bad omen. It tells people who are serious about MMOs that it really isn't worth it in the end because it didn't keep the players it had to begin with. Games of other genres could benefit by being on Steam because they aren't nearly as community dependent.

If you thought Skyrim was amazing, but everyone else thought it was garbage, their opinion wouldn't matter to your gameplay experience; its overall failure doesn't affect your experience in anyway. With an MMO, if the majority of the players thought it sucked and stopped playing, then regardless of whether or not it actually sucked, it most certainly sucks now. What keeps an MMO going isn't just good content, but also the community. And an MMO being put on Steam is a terrible sign for potential new players.
    TuxedoMask likes this.
  13. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

What about it?
    I don't get what you want me to say, is this an actual question, or a rhetorical question?

I agree with what he said, I didn't think I needed to explain but gosh darnit I'm glad he did. Very nicely done and you said it really well, much better than how I would've explained.
  14. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

God no. I absolutely HATE having to install Steam just to play a game. Most of the time if a game requires me to instal Steam, I won't play it. The only time I ever had Steam installed was so I could play TF2 and well... I do miss that game, but I'M NOT INSTALLING STEAM.

But damn, if they did go with Steam, I'd have to install it. God, I hope they don't.
  15. iway

iway New Cupcake

don't feel like reading 8 pages. steam is amazing for the fact it has steam guard. even if u just get the games u know u like on steam the protecting that steam guard has is great. if u are dumb enough to let someone steal your steam pass and account info and its home email address. many face plams for joo.
  16. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Weather the game is "ancient" now is irrelevant. It was a great distribution platform for the game and was highly successful. The games you describe use steam but that does not mean that steam is not a great distribution platform. We haven't really seen an mmo use steam as its primary distribution platform, but i suspect i would do very very well.

Skyrim was very successful under steam, which is an example of "Steam is where games go to die" is not always the case.

On a side note, I think its fully that the poll was in favor for steam for months then out of the woodwork came a surge of non supporters.
  17. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Well , I had more to my quote/statement besides "Where games go to die".

Sure, Skyrim was successful, and they found a niche with fans so that's awesome and everything. If Skyrim partnering with steam (which I don't play) offers some sort of service via mods or DLC then wouldn't that mean it's just there to suckle the last bit of money out of peoples wallets? I don't play Skyrim, so I really don't know if you have to pay for anything on it, if it's free well that's really cool and I suppose it's a exception to that.
  18. Spracket

No, the fact that the game is old is exactly my point. What exactly is this amazing distribution platform distributing nowadays? So far, all I've heard from this thread are the same examples; Skyrim and TF2. Wow, a handful of games that would have been successful regardless of whether or not they were on Steam? But Steam made them slightly more successful; awesome. You keep using the word "was" for a reason. And we haven't seen an MMO on Steam? Ahem:

APB: Reloaded
    Eve
    Neverwinter
    Star Trek Online
    Champions of Regnum
    Everquest
    Everquest 2
    Entropy
    Infestation: Survivor Stories (The War Z)
    Wizardry Online
    Ragnarok Online 2
    Rose Online
    Vanguard
    DDO
    LOTRO
    Continent of the Ninth Seal
    Pandora Saga
    Realm of the Mad God
    DCUO
    Champions Online
    Global Agenda
    Rift
    Guild Wars 1

And a big portion of these don't label themselves as MMORPGs. I also left out some of the titles that were nothing more than online shooters or online RTS. And that is where Steam would have Wildstar. Among all of those gems. Steam is where (good) MMOs go to live out their golden years because they're being marketed next to garbage. The only (non-f2P) games that have ever been successful on that list are Eve, Everquest, and even Guild Wars.

Yes, it's a great way to get some advertisement for your game, but for MMORPGs, it is a completely different story. When it comes to an MMORPG, reputation is paramount, and putting Wildstar on Steam would roll that reputation through the mud. What are currently the most successful MMOs out there right now? WoW, SWTOR and FFXIV? They're the only three MMOs anyone ever brings up (I'm not saying they're good games, but what do you have to choose from?). Are they trying to get on Steam? No? Why do you think that is?

And as for the polls, a lot of people watch Jersey Shore and Real Housewives, it doesn't make it the right choice.
    Blue Tunic Man likes this.
  19. Khurg

Khurg New Cupcake

Love Steam. Yes please
  20. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

From a business perspective? I imagine it would be a good idea. I am no business guru so I would not hazard a guess or imply a decision. Therefore I will not vote in the poll. As a person with little business expertise my uneducated opinion would needlessly contaminate the data.

But as a Customer I will say this: If Carbine / NCSoft join with STEAM I will NOT be purchasing WildStar. I learned my lesson with Skyrim. I will never be a customer of any Game on STEAM again. Ever. With MMO Gaming I want to deal with the MMO Publishers and Devs directly, not through a "middleman" Corp such as STEAM.

There are some MMOs I still play that I started with before the had affiliations with STEAM, such as LotRO, but I will start no new MMOs that choose to join with STEAM.