1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Path Idea

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by azmundai, May 22, 2013.

1. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

How about a Summoner / Beastmaster path where you can capture or "tame" mobs in the world and either unleash them on towns ( lol .. idk ) or otherwise place them in arenas ( possibly built by settlers? )

I don't think you should be able to really use them in combat or anything .. so it should be mostly about capturing mobs, not taming them.

It could even be sort of an evil path of sorts where you are able to unleash monsters in a town and they will run amok until someone stops them :) ... this would have the added benefit of giving settlers more to do, rebuilding (not that they dont have enough to do .. :) )

Other possible things for the path:
    animal lore
    breeding
    gene-splicing
    buffs against animals you have masted the lore of
    mounts
    unique non-combat pets that only they can track

combine it with taxidermy or something and they can make
    mounted heads for houses
    rugs for houses
    skins for armor
    claws etc for jewelry/trinkets

maybe there are a series of unique fights that only they can find through tracking.
    maybe there are unique spirit or ethereal type mobs that they can capture and set in cities / outposts that provide buffs.

Edit: oops, wrong forum. please move :)
  2. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

Similar to Pet Battles in World of Warcraft? That'd be nice. I'd love to have a rare companion I tamed on my travels.

Then again, I want to be able to build huge buildings.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  3. azmundai

I was thinking more actual mobs, not just pet battles. Pet battles were fun but I think like wow it should be something that everyone has access to not just a particular path.
  4. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

a Path has more than 1 feature, check the path page on WSO site. a path that it's only feature is to capture beasts will be very shallow compared to what the other path's get

that set of quests could fit the explorer, in a sort of hunt and capture quest type
  5. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

My very favorite pet as a hunter was the black lion in WoW. I loved that guy.
  6. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

I had a panther from STV called Shadow all the way through to 85. It was sad having to let him go. :(
  7. azmundai

it could be about a multitude of other things as well.
    animal lore
    breeding
    gene-splicing
    buffs against animals you have masted the lore of
    mounts
    unique non-combat pets that only they can track

combine it with taxidermy or something and they can make
    mounted heads for houses
    rugs for houses
    skins for armor
    claws etc for jewelry/trinkets

maybe there are a series of unique fights that only they can find through tracking.
    maybe there are unique spirit or ethereal type mobs that they can capture and set in cities / outposts that provide buffs.

if there was no settler and someone said lets make a path about building stuff, you'd say just building stuff isn't enough? Not very imaginative or helpful imo. :(
  8. azmundai

I had one of the spotted cats from Stonetalon through to 60, but I stopped playing my hunter before tbc came out. I think hes level 68 now or something, but yea ..

That whole hunter thing with unique pets and pet skills and tracking down rare pets was fun though, I could see that being a path for some people, but again I don't think a path should be about combat pets as that would change combat too drastically.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Soooo, a breeder?

Might be an interesting idea for an expansion path, although it might sound like it would be better off as a tradeskill instead.
  10. azmundai

I dont think it has to be a tradeskill as long as only you can have rare mounts or pets as companions

I really see that as optional though, I think it would work better without that part honestly.

I think just being able to capture mobs and releases them either for battling for fun or unleashing them on towns would be pretty awesome on it's own. the breeding/splicing could be used to create rare, more powerful mobs or something.

I remember now actually, lol .. I used to duel my lower level friends so they could fight my pet. Can't remember why that was fun, but It happened a lot :)
  11. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

I see it as more of a Hunter. You learn about the animals and then hunt them or use them to your advantage. With Carbine, I could see them making it as a path but I could also see it as a "hobby" like fishing or farming which I would do alot of either way.
  12. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

Uhh... Most of that's already covered by the Scientist... In fact, you can take your idea and just include it as a scientist "sub"-path or something. The tracking bit is part of the explorer's schtick. The rest; skinning, jewelry, etc would fit more in line with a crafting profession.

Mounts on the other hand, well animal mounts don't really fit in the lore and setting, also settlers can already make bikes for people to ride in as show in the newest devspeak.
    F8L Fool likes this.
  13. Trenan

Trenan New Cupcake

I think a path dedicated to Wildlife would be excellent. Everything is already in the game that is needed to make it happen. Not only that, but it blends well with the other paths and lore of the game. Heck theres even a zone dedicated to the Dominion which has animals brought in from various parts of the galaxy so they can hunt them.

It would be important to the advancement of Nexus that people were studying animals, for possible food sources, pets, livestock, work animals, health benefits, toxins, anti-venoms, etc.

I could even see the temporary use of large animals to break open secret passages, or fly you to the top of mountain peaks. Massive boulder in the way of a secret cavern found by an explorer? Get a giant rhino to pull it out of the way.
  14. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Sounds like a crafting class honestly, not so much a path... The Breeder path seems to overlap with Scientist path a lot though. Reseraching and gaining buffs. Having a little scan-bot as a "pet," sure the scan-bot isn't as customizable, but the mechanics are very similar.
  15. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

This sounds like what the scientist can do, opening secret pathways with SCIENCE!
  16. Trenan

Trenan New Cupcake

Scientists are a much more rounded type of path than what you could do with a Beastiary path. Also, almost every path has overlapping functionality, explorers and scientists both unlock hidden areas/rooms, so why not extend it to others as well? Every path has collecting and fighting as well, these aren't dedicated to just explorer and soldier.

You gotta understand its much easier for them to implement a new path with pre-existing mechanics. This also allows for more of the hidden content they design to be more accessible to others. Why make a hidden cave if only 1 path can unlock, and the possibility of that path being near you at the time your playing incredibly low.

Scientists focus on Lore and Story, not survival aspects of the wilderness. A wildlife path would focus more on taming the wild, it would be a hybrid of scientist and settler. They mentioned settlers fixing fences for a farmer whos animals were escaping. How about the Wildlife path goes out and wrangles escaped animals or even taming wild beasts to bring back to the farm.

As they mentioned these are based on the 4 principles from Bartle's Explorer, Socializer, Killer, and Achiever.

The current paths pretty much directly coincide with those 4, meaning the rest will have to overlap in some way. Achievers and Socializers aren't as cemented into the Bartle Archtypes, so I think the corresponding paths (Scientist and Settler) will have wiggle room/overlap with the new Paths. We already know Exploring and Killing will be mandatory for every path, so its the other 2 which are harder to define.
  17. popober

Check this out:
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/paths/

and scroll down to the Scientist path, specifically on the Biology, Botany, Catalog, and Field Study bits. It's almost everything you guys are looking for. "Taming" the wild is covered by the Explorer. Keeping animals fits the Settler's game. Really there's no reason to add a dedicated beast tamer path, the setting doesn't really fit and whatever it's got are already covered by the other 4 classes.

It's like this: The scenario is Exile command finds out about a special kind of indigenous animal, so they send an Explorer to look for it in it's last known location, the Soldier hunts it down and brings it home, the Scientist cuts it up to study it, and the Settler works with the Scientist to find out what's needed to be built in order to keep those things.

Setting-wise, WildStar is a space western, hunters don't usually appear in sapce westerns unless as part of a tribal species or there's a rich psycho somewhere in the Dominion.
  18. Trenan

Trenan New Cupcake

Messing with the wildlife would be like 5% of the Scientists duties, your point is rather invalid. Also, scientists do not do anything with the animals, they scan them with a Bot and gain generic information about them. They do not interact or control them in any way. Settlers also do not "tame" the wild, they civilize the wild, at best they would chop down trees for lumber supply. Settlers will involve being around towns mostly since they are the "social" archetype for the paths. They will not be out messing with wildlife.

You are basically telling me that Darwins observations is the same as a Zoologists job, since they both involve animals.

Also, Explorers track anything unusual, it mentions nothing about using beasts as a resource.

Furthermore, as a western, who do you think ropes and breaks the ponies for the people to ride? Ranch hands dedicated to do so, so believe me, westerns have plenty to do with animal specific jobs.

It would also be easy to mix in some food related objectives for a Wildlife path, finding eggs, cultivating meat, and trapping for hides.
  19. popober

No, my point is finding <REDACTED> out about flora and fauna is already a scientist's job. And I said it was the EXPLORER that "tames" the wild. But if anything, it would be explorers who'd work with beasts.

True that ranch hands do that, but that's the job of the settlers here. But not my point. My point was there won't be much hunting going on here, I'm talking about game not livestock.

But really, disregarding the names, each path is catered to a specific playstyle, not things to do in-game. Scientists/Completionists, Soldiers/Killers, Explorers/well Explorers, Settlers/Socialite. So playing pokemon would be most inclined to the Scientist path, y'know, "Gotta catch 'em all!" and all that.
  20. Trenan

Trenan New Cupcake

Yes, but a animal specific path would focus purely on beasts and creatures. Not flora. They also wouldn't be trying to tame the wild in reference to explorer which simply scouts the environment. They would literally tame the wild animals, they could care less about location.

As i mentioned in a previous post, they already covered the 4 Bartle types, so there is going to have to be overlap in some form. There isn't much left in the game that isn't already taken care of by the other paths, so at best you are going to have to utilize something that is already abundant in the game. Wildlife is quite abundant, and theres manything they can do with it. What else is as prevalent in the game which can be squeezed into a path?

Possibly a Scavenger/Trader which deals with finding items and bartering with in town merchants.

Also Cooking, which seems more like just a standard profession everyone would pick up.