1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Paths and their Monetary Gains

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by F8L Fool, May 28, 2013.

1. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

When I started reading about the four Paths, the first thing that came into my mind—aside from how awesome they sound—is what, if any affect they will have on the economy and a character's monetary gain. What I am referring to is: will one Path have an advantage over the other in terms of item farming, money generation, crafting, or other means of generating wealth?

I know that in other games with secondary abilities of any kind, a lot of people choose their crafting or gathering professions based solely on how profitable they are. So, if for example a Soldier is able to summon a lot of extra enemies, especially mini-bosses, would they have access to more rare loot drops than the others? Conversely, if an Explorer is able to open up hidden paths that lead to special treasure chests, will they acquire currency faster?

I'm just worried that one of the Paths will have a clear cut advantage over the others in regards to cash/items/etc., which in turn would cause a massive amount of people to choose it. Seeing as how everyone in a party, raid or server can benefit from being around players with different Paths, I would assume a large variety is tantamount to the success of the system as a whole. If there aren't enough Settlers for example, it would put a serious damper on the way quest hubs function and the surrounding players level and approach the content. That would be bad for everyone involved, not just the Settlers that are struggling to build large structures and gain path XP.

It is one thing to cater to the play styles of the individual gamer, and another to reward one play style more so than another. I hope that in the end the Paths are adequately balanced as to not inadvertently promote one, based on in gameplay advantages, more so than the preferences of the player themselves.
  2. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I can see where your worries come from, the worst I ever saw was Slicing in SW:TOR, netting millions per week whilst other professions could come nowhere close.

That being said I believe the plan is that paths will be equal on financial rewards, it's the other elements that will vary such as the gear and ability rewards, it's already been said Settlers will see a high output of FABKits for their houses.
    Azhdaha likes this.
  3. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

I think it will, at least to me the way I see it.

Soldier: unlocks kill missions resulting in loot u'd get from mobs or rare mobs at a more frequent pace

Scientist: better at gathering professions, and possibly knows about the best place to farm if respawns are affected by time of day?(cool idea)

Explorer: Can travel around the world faster, maybe can get to herb/mine locations others can't

Settler: you have access to cheap vendors/rare vendors/can make an AH next to your farm location, your housing plot has more efficient farms

Don't be suprised if the paths are very distinct and different, it is a gooood thing. I bet they have dozens of perks for every path. And in the grand scheme of things, one path will be better for raiding, one will be better for the grinding farmer, and one is probably the best for crafters.

The only thing I see paths not affecting is PvP at least in an arena format and maybe BG if it's competitive.

Obviously warplots will be affected by paths if w'ere capturing a raid boss and unleashing it on the player built castle.
    Outburstz likes this.
  4. Ico

Oh definitely but in terms of strict monetary gains they will probably balance out I would of thought, unless there's a trader path to come later, but that's from a different IRC convo :p
  5. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

They have stated several times they explicitly do not want this to happen. As paths wont be retrainable and if they cant be retrained they dont want to punish a player for a choice they made in their playstyle early on.

They have instead said that path bonuses will be unique but, not as combat oriented. As we know explorers can have momentary faster (or longer) sprinting but, if you sprint in combat you get dazed I believe (they said what happens I forget exactly- mainly you dont want to).
  6. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

This.

For all intents and purposes, we don't definitively know the answer at this point. Like Ico stated above, Settlers will see a higher occurrence rate of housing-related rewards, but all paths will see similar, tangible benefits as well. While there are rewards to be earned, the Paths are more (in my mind) about the content experience. After the SWTOR Slicing debacle (which, was brought up in beta...), I'm certain that the Carbine devs remain sensitive to anything that will cause one path to have a disproportionate amount of influence upon the economy over another.

Now as far as Crafting professions go, that's another story... :)
    Ico likes this.
  7. Ico

Yeah I made sure to avoid that issue all-together :p. It wouldn't be too much to guess that whichever makes the consumables will be one of the richer professions though!
    Azhdaha likes this.
  8. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

Depends on the market entirely, if herbs are expensive because of however many dozens of factors and explorers have a lot of access to hidden nodes they will make more money.

To internally balance paths seems like it would homogenize them.

Your class and path should affect your ability to make money. Like a prot Warrior in WoW needing to do dungeons or gather to make money.

Homogenization is bad, I know you're just worried about 1 path being better by a 30% margin or something.
  9. F8L Fool

I have no problem with some paths performing certain tasks better than others. They should based on the very nature of their design, so that isn't an issue. It is how the paths interact with the economy as well as gathering and crafting professions that has me concerned. If one class/path combination makes you a 5x better gatherer than the next combo, that would be seriously problematic.

Another thing I'm curious about is what tangible rewards attached to each path, if any? As Ico said, Settlers will get a higher quantity of FABkits and supposedly some that are exclusive to their path. The real question is how valuable each tangible good is, if they are tradeable, etc.
    Azhdaha likes this.
  10. Ico

The style in which you earn your cash should be different, soldiers selling junk and rare mod rewards etc, but in terms or raw income value paths should be about the same - before the ingame value is taken into account.

Also don't confuse your gathering with your path, though I do support your notion that explorers will probably make the best gatherers!
  11. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Soldier of fortune ftw.
  12. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

As someone who will be focusing on making consumables in-game, I wouldn't be horribly upset if this turned out to be the case. :D
    Ico likes this.
  13. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

I thought the rewards on path missions where random? im sure all of the neat path stuff will be bind on pickup.
  14. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

I assume that along with the Paths there are profession skills that you'd level for monetary gain, while your path most likely won't directly spew thousands of <inset currency>.
  15. F8L Fool

True, but if certain path rewards such as abilities or X modifiers indirectly enhance your professions or gathering capabilities, that in itself would have essentially the same impact of directly producing currency.

At the end of the day all four should be equally rewarding in terms of experience gains, ease of use, and monetary gains. I didn't even include the idea that one path might possibly create an easier/faster leveling experience, which is also crucial to the game. Example: in Guild Wars 2 how cooking (and crafting in general) initially destroyed the leveling mechanic.