1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Path's Custom Naming...

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by OGee, May 31, 2013.

1. OGee

OGee New Cupcake

So here is something that I think would be really cool and encourage people to go all in with their path progression.

Last episode on Late Night Dominion the guys quickly touched on the possibility of an elite crafter making a super rare item and having the ability to either name the item or in the description be an annotation that read Made By (character name). This is a really cool idea for me as it gives the crafter credit and encourages crafting.

So I thought why not take this idea to paths. I plan on rolling with an explorer so I'll start there.

Explorer - The idea here is that if I am the first to discover a secret path that leads to the opposite side of a zone I might get the ability to name the corridor or just have a flag or sign that says this area discovered by insert my character name!

So some of the arguments against this will of course be you can't have the ability to name it anything because some will abuse the power of that. I agree. So I like the idea of these passages/caves/mountain peaks already having names but with a sign or marking that clearly says discovered by insert character name.

But then you could say well this isn't really that cool because one person who is going to hardcore lvl their path and beat all others to all the discoverable areas and only their name will be shown. Fair enough. What if this is restricted to guildies only. So only my guildies will be able to see if I have discovered an area first for example...this could be really cool and create some competition in the guild.

And there are some ways to apply this to all paths for Scientists making discoveries to Settlers constructing structures. Or a shrine going up to a guildmate who completed a holdout that says their name and how many enemies they slayed.

Anyway this is already too long. Please make suggestions to improve upon my ideas or point out holes as to why this might not even work.
  2. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

I actually really like this idea, you could do the same with scientist as well. The first to discover a rare animal/plant/gem etc. could have a "Discovered by yournamehere on thedatehere"
  3. Flannan

Flannan Cupcake

One issue I see with naming paths/things after players, as LateNightDominion also brought up in regards to that, is immersion. Not sure if I personally would want to go see the "xXrandomNameXx path" or carry around a piece of gear with xXrandomNameXx in the title, having it in the description is fine though.
  4. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

I personally hate when the term "immersion" gets used; I think it such a lame reason.
  5. OGee

OGee New Cupcake

Another cool idea could be that if you discover something and your name is attached to this discovery it isn't permanent.

So after 1 week the naming rights to a tall peak reset. Anyone who is at the bottom of the peak while it resets could scale the mountain and claim the area and have their name posted as discovering the peak.

A step further could be that if your guild holds a majority of the discoverable naming rights across a zone, your guild gets a Explorer Path XP buff or something similar so it is re-playable and almost like a race to the top each time it resets. This could also give you a reason to re-visit lower lvl zones to try to capture the naming rights to a discoverable area.

Or this could also create some open world pvp encounters as you fight for the area.

Not sure how this would translate to other paths or not though?
  6. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

what I fear of that is the "insert gross name here" as name. that would destroy my inmersion a lot
  7. OGee

OGee New Cupcake

I hope that "gross name" would not be allowed in creation process in the first place.
  8. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

Im sure that when you put it in if anything it will have to put into an authentication process of sorts maybe you take to a npc that you put forward the name for it etc.
  9. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

this

I would want an almost pirates101 naming system for something like this. allow them to select from a list of names .. 12 years later and it still makes me cringe when I see xDritzztx .. nothing makes me want to ignore someone faster than stupid names like this.

i keep suggesting this, but I would love to see a system where every user has to select a pre-created name. They can create a custom name as usual and this would be the default display, but each person could then right click that person and have the "system name" displayed from then on.
  10. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

I hated this is WoW, I refused to wear anything with someone elses name on it, so instead I just crafted whatever I needed myself. IRL I sometimes wear labels like Armani, Hugo Boss, DKNY, but in game having labels on my gear by mighytmorphingturtleboy is never going to happen.
  11. Nekowhatsit

Nekowhatsit New Cupcake

I know it's not necessarily a MMO but Dragon's Dogma did that. You could make your own name, but then you had to choose from lists of names for your character and your character companion to have displayed if someone turned that option on on their system. It was a challenge to find names that I thought fit, because I still wanted my avatar to be properly represented. Not a good challenge, either.
  12. OGee

OGee New Cupcake

I see that most are worried about it being immersion breaking that a player could be a name on a sign that says discovered by X but I guess I just disagree. You will always have some who have unconventional names but this game might lend itself to that.

I mean someone could have a name with a lot of numbers but what if they are a Mechari as sometimes robots have numbers in their name. All I am saying is it won't be any more immersion breaking as you will see people with unconventional names in the game all the time. If it happens to be on a sign saying they discovered something it doesn't bother me.

Either way it could be done discreetly by making you interact with the sign to read who discovered the place first. I just think it would be cool to get credit for discovering/building something first or after a certain reset time getting to it first. It would make me go after exploring harder than maybe I normally would especially maybe after I've max leveled exploring to still want to go explore.
  13. Wormwood

Wormwood Cupcake

Would it be immersion breaking? Sure a little, but I'm still in favor of this idea. It'd help to encourage a bit of a server community, and establish some Server characters. Imagine an explorer staking his claim every couple of week in one part of the world, and having it be his personal territory!
  14. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

I like this idea.

In Lotro, when you crafted a piece of gear and you got a crit (making it rarer and better) You had the option of naming it. So it would be like... "Forged Steel Broadsword" and then the flavor text read something like "Orc-slasher" or whatever you wanted.

Legendary weapons you could name straight out whatever you wanted, and you could change the name every time you reforged one.
  15. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

While the idea is very cool in theory, you have to remember not everyone chooses a "lore friendly" name.

Do you really want to explore a secret path only to see a sign on the side saying "Discovered by FloppyDongMcButtface"?
  16. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

That sounds like a fun idea. As for immersion, I would say that the sign should come with a report button just as a character's nameplate would. If you're on a regular server and it was discovered by someone whose name isn't just silly, but disgusting and against naming rules, you can click report. Same if you're on an RP server and it was discovered by xxLegolasxx. If you're on a regular server and it was discovered by xxLegolasxx? I'm inclined to say deal with it. You're already sharing the world with lots of people with those names, after all.