1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Paths DevSpeak. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Bainik, May 21, 2013.

1. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

So up until tonight I was pretty set on explorer and maybe soldier if explorer just sucked, but now I have no idea other than not a scientist. I'm curious if tonight's release changed anyone else's mind on any of the paths.

Also, do we know if we can conveniently avoid half of the path content for whatever we chose and still progress our path? Like I REALLY like the jumping puzzle/secret places parts of the explorer, but the map completion and scavenger hunt parts sound even more boring than the scientist (with regards to my play style, of course). Similarly I have a deep seated loathing for vehicle quests or anything that replaces my class skills like the SWAT missions seem set up to do (I didn't roll a Pyro from TF2, why are you making me run around with a flamethrower?), but I really think I'd have a blast with holdouts and assassinations. Settler I find has less actually appealing parts to me, but has no part I think I'd absolutely hate. I'd really like to pick an explorer but at the same time it has the most parts I'd hate to trudge through, putting me in a really weird spot.

Anyway, anyone else care to share their thoughts and impressions?
  2. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

If there is one thing i know for sure and belive no one can argue against is that their marketing/animation and voice over teams are amazing.

i have no idea if the gamplay is anygood, but those devspeaks are amazing.

i was completely dismissing the settler and scientist path, and now i want to play everything.
    Daynejah likes this.
  3. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

I still have concerns regarding overpopulation of settlers. I know that things like upkeep of buildings have been mentioned but I'm still worried I'll be deprived of the ability to contribute a building to the zone if I show up late to the party.
  4. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

I want to try them all...just. can't. decide. which. one. first. !!!
  5. Bainik

Yeah, all their trailers have been awesome, too. Same thing happened with the settler for me. Still about rather pull toenails than play the scientist (just isn't my style), but damn was I selling the settler short.
  6. BonusStage

it seems like settlers can help each others and build better stuff, that would also fix it
  7. Dualist

But surely there has to be a breaking point at which things are as good as they get. A zone is only so big and they can only plug in so much stuff and upgrade it so many times. With a steady flow of settlers maintaining the upkeep on buildings I may never be able to build my very own brot . . . bar.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  8. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Path missions, as can be gleamed from PAX videos and such, are presented just like normal quests and can be accepted or not. Also, long ago Gaffney made a point to state Carbine knew some people may not keep their Path level and Class level totally equal, and while you may be an even larger outlier than most by purposefully not accepting missions instead of just missing them while leveling, there should be ways for you to "catch up."
  9. BonusStage

Yeah i agree, i was imeadiatly concerned about the same thing when i saw the trailer.

maybe phasing? that should ensure that each settler is serving a max of X players, and give a fair shot more settlers.

what is really concerning me is that the ONLY viable time to level as a settler might end up being the start of the game.

i mean, a year after release, you make a settler, and who is going to use your buildings? there wont be as near as many players on the starting areas
  10. Dualist

I'm pretty sure Carbine wanted to avoid phasing, and I kind of agree. Even if I get to build a new bar or something, it'd be kind of weird if zone bonuses were inconsistent across phases.

In regards to settlers in earlier zones, I'm pretty sure Carbine designed quests in a somewhat circular fashion, for example that big lazer shooting robot which we're only supposed to have access to at higher levels. I think it might be good if larger structures functioned sort of like public quests, so settlers can progressively chip in and build it over time, rather than a guild zerging through it.
  11. BonusStage

Makes sense.

I imagine that Settler content is the hardest for carbine to balance/create/implement it is going to be very interesting so see how they deal with it.

i wonder if all paths level at the same pace tho, soldiers seem to have a clear edge.

not that i care, just curious
  12. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

13. Bainik

Based on the ZAM interview that just went up it looks like higher tier stuff decays much faster so to keep the big stuff active you need a small army of settlers in the zone working on it. Really doubt you'll run into a zone full of fully built structures and nothing to help with.
  14. Bainik

Yeah, I know it would be quite possible to just let path level lag behind, but my point was if there are enough path missions to skip the parts I really don't like and still comfortably level my path.
  15. clack

clack New Cupcake

I feel like there will be plenty of ways to get path xp. I could be wrong, but I don't really see it set up in a way where you're forced to finish every path quest in order to hit path level cap.

And I can see how you might be wary about vehicle quests from other games, but remember, this is Wildstar! If anyone can change your mind, I feel like these guys can.
  16. Bainik

Yeah, agreed they stand the best shot in a while, but it's really just the whole idea of them, not their implementation.

It's like, this is an RPG, I've spent countless hours building my character up to what he is from choosing a class, buying the skills I want, making sure I get the right milestones, figuring out the best way to utilize my character's abilities in every situation I can think of, and generally just building the character I want to play.

Now somehow somebody thought it was a good idea to wipe away all my choices relating to class, skills, and play style and replace it with some other set of skills I have no attachment to and then make me run around with that for a quest or two. Why would I want that? I end up just spending the whole time going "can I have my character back, now? I like that guy." Completely independent of how awesome a given vehicle (or experimental weapon or what have you) is. Anyway, that's my grumpy-old-man rant on vehicle quests.
  17. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

They got everything that I wanted in the Scientist path. Knowing things that others won't, study the planet, wildlife, and scanning everything in sight.

Rolling a Warrior Scientist as my main it seems. SCIENCE!!!!
  18. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

I wasn't interested in settler at all, but now...
  19. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

All I have to say is that the Carbine Marketing team is brilliant, and for those who had doubts about the game's following & hype machine, "the dev's are listening"...

Paths! With as unique and as important a role as paths will seemingly play in Wildstar, I was somewhat disappointed with the information that had been available up to this point.

A paragraph or 2 per path, and a video for explorers & soldiers.

Now, I'm drowning on information and have become even more excited to dive head first into this content to see which path applies best to my play style. I would fall into that category of easily able to partake in all 4 paths.

So, my thoughts on what was released?

Exporer - We knew about the jump puzzles, exploring entire zones, and secret caves/locations. Scavenger Hunts, Tracking & Operations Missions, and Cartography? I was leaning explorer before this "epic drop", and after reading more into it, I FELT like this had been all but confirmed. Then I read on...

Soldier - I felt like most of this information had been hinted at before. Standoffs in defending objects, important npcs, or attacking bases. Assasination, Testing New Weapons, etc. Who doesn't like to just kick ass and take names? It certainly supports a level grind too with all that killing.

Scientist - Now here's where it got really interesting. I'm pretty sure that this has become my primary path for first character rolled in release, if not head start(fingers crossed). I've always been interested in the lore, but have found a difficult time committing to learning the ins & outs of a game when these activities aren't rewarded. If I can roll my primary character, and from day 1 advance my path xp by learning about the ways of nexus & the ancient technology found here, then I'm in. Besides, once Agent Voxine went into details about scientist including that video clip, dying in the name of science seemed the most appealing.

Finally, Settler - There's fewer mission types. Not necessarily a concern for me, but the most exciting and interesting part that I took about the Settler reveal was where it was revealed what each path would bring to a group that contained all 4 paths within. If a settler can build motor bikes to ride back into town, then I'm either rolling 1, or befriending each and every settler I come across in my journey through nexus.

I am NOT as concerned about how Settlers can make an impact after many settlers have come before them. There has been much talk about improving, and I'm not sure that Settler contributions are permanent. If upkeep or rebuilding things that have been destroyed is how later Settlers will make contributions, then it I could live with it.

"Willing to travel to your campfire if smores are present.. PST!"
  20. Onieyes

Onieyes New Cupcake

Right now, I'm all soldier. Always been a grind type of a guy and always liked AOE killing stuff. Sounds boring but hey .. "Hunga, Bunga."