1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

PAX East Impressions/Dev-answered questions

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gempulse, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Dusntmatter

Dusntmatter New Cupcake

My thought process is, if jumping puzzles are a big part of the explorer path then each zone should have at least a few jumping puzzles. It would be weird to have a bunch of random areas where you can't fly, plummet to your death, only to realize you flew over a jumping puzzle. Like that tree you can see in the Deradune videos.
  2. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Hehe, I'm just evil sometimes :p On a serious note, people have already mentioned those can quite happily be instanced as well. Nowhere near as fun though...
  3. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

Most of the information here gives me assurement that this is the mmorpg I've been waiting for the last 5 years.
  4. Dusntmatter

Dusntmatter New Cupcake

Of course, I would love to watch people fall to their deaths as well. :p
  5. Rex Smashington

Rex Smashington Cupcake

Me too! It seems my vision that a savior published by NCSoft was correct! However I was misguided and though it would be GW2! I didn't know about Wildstar yet! =P
  6. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Maybe Nexus forces Amnesia? :p
    Celtkhan likes this.
  7. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

But that would make it Neverland, and anyone can fly in Neverland!
    Drasas likes this.
  8. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Only if we're thinking happy thoughts... :p
    Kataryna likes this.
  9. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

If we're playing WildStar, then all thoughts are happy ones!
    JarNod likes this.
  10. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Got worried when i started reading your opinion of spellslinger until you were told it was a four month old demo haha :) Thanks for letting us know of your experience, wish i could of been there :p
  11. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

I've been looking for someone who got their hands on the game to ask some questions about the combat.

1. Are telegraphs aimed by turning the character/aiming the camera or by placing them on the ground?
    2. How critical is tab targeting? Does pressing an attack key auto target for you?
    3. How does the basic attack function? Can you swing your sword without any enemies targeted?
    4. Was there a way to map dodging to a certain key, or was it double tap WASD?
    5. You compare to GW2 so I imagine you have played the game. Does combat feel more punchy and responsive? There is a certain amount of discount to the combat in GW2. Does Wildstar feel better?
    6. Does jumping in combat offer any benefits to mobility?
    Yeah a lot of questions, but any information you can shed will be awesome! I'm going back now to read the whole thread to see if you already answered some of my questions. I'm really hoping this combat will have the responsiveness of WoW with the action of Tera/GW2. Thanks!
  12. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

1. You aim your telegraphs by holding the right mouse button and dragging, I'm pretty sure. It also could be that you hit your skill and then simply drag your mouse left or right to station your telegraph; you might not need to have the right mouse button held. Most of the time, I was confined to tab-targeting so I didn't get to play around much with free-form. I'm sure aiming will be more customizable though, in the launch/beta build.

2. In the demo, tab targeting felt as though it dumbed-down the combat severely; it felt like it didn't belong in their telegraph-based combat system. I can see the free-form targeting being much more useful and fun to use. In the demo, tab-targeting was turned on by default; probably for the sake of making the game not seem so daunting to new comers. If you tabbed to an enemy, your telegraph would auto-align to said enemy. I didn't enjoy the tab-targeting and am looking forward to free-form.

3. Yes, you can use your weapons (swing, shoot) without any enemies targeted.

4. There was not a way to map the dodging key to another key, other than WSAD, in the demo. This will almost certainly not be the case at launch/in the beta. One can assume there will be a slew of key-binding options.

5. I've played GW2 for a long time and I can say that the combat feels much more fast-paced in Wildstar. It felt as though you truly had to be constantly moving or you weren't as effective. In GW2, I felt as though it was helpful to be moving all the time, but not entirely necessary in all situations.

As I said, the Spellslingers rooted skill severely dampened my experience because I was not nearly as mobile as the stalker. I died a few times on the Spellslinger because it was difficult, at times, to kite. I liked the fact that I died on the Spellslinger because it proved to me how helpful moving and being mobile really is in Wildstar. I imagine that the free-from targeting will strengthen the combat even more.

Also, it seemed as though the dodging resource recharged faster than GW2's dodge resource and that made the combat that much more fun (I love dodging :) ).

6. Good question, I didn't really notice any extra advantage to combat mobility by jumping. It felt similar to what a jump does while in combat in other MMOS (except in WS you can double jump).
    ruff_ethereal, Yakzan and Paterk like this.
  13. Blegvad

Blegvad Cupcake

Quick question regarding skills:

One thing I really have enjoyed about GW2 is the limit on "active" skills. The number of skills and hotbars required to play games in the WoW / SWTOR / LOTRO style feels antiquated and bloated.

Any idea how this is dealt with in Wildstar?

OP: Thanks for the writeup - that was really great information. I'm more excited for this title then I have been for any other MMO in recent memory.
  14. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

Yes there will be a limited action set, which is similar to how GW2 does it. You will only have nine slots that you can use combat abilities in, so you must choose wisely.

[​IMG]
    As you can see in this image, the skill-bar has nine slots.
  15. Blegvad

Blegvad Cupcake

Awesome, thanks.
  16. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Old screenshot - it's missing the class innate active power. I believe the PAX East build had 10 plus the class innate (activated by X by default - Stealth for Stalkers)
    Gempulse likes this.
  17. Airia

Airia New Cupcake

Yea, they have recently said they are going to be testing with ten.
  18. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

This number is still in flux; we're messing around with various ones to figure out what the perfect number is. I believe going into beta it'll be your Innate + 7 abilities + Path ability (though most slots start locked and unlock as you level).
  19. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Darn moving targets! :D
  20. Blegvad

Blegvad Cupcake

Interesting stuff - is there a consolidated link that has info about the UI, etc. as well as the innate and path abilities?