1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Pay it Forward - Community Member Spotlight (was: Beta Buddies)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Ceodoc, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Ceodoc

Ceodoc Cupcake-About-Town

Community,

Recently Carbine asked the community to come up with ingenious ways to "play it forward" in relation to promoting the game.

Well here is an opportunity to have a say in who you want in CLOSED Beta.
    Remember this will not grant you or your nominee a guaranteed access. This is just a way to show Carbine who's doing a lot for the community in your opinion :)

The proposal:
    Vote for 5 people you think would make great testers and would love to see in Beta. I will reserve a reply for the top names posted and update very regularly. Add a small reason why you think they deserve to represent us in Beta.
    Example:
    Ceodoc- Cuddly teddy bear :D
    The rules:
    NONE
    We hope that the popular consensus will weed out poll bending choices, and the communities here and on other fan sites will try to choose names that they know will be great testers and servants of the game overall, we embrace voting for friends, guildies, even yourself! WSC is a wonderful community and although popularity will of course show up, so will genuine votes for great contributors towards the community. It is only fun, so don't be afraid to show your appreciation for any community members.

Ceodoc

<Moderator growl>Remember this will not grant you or your nominee a guaranteed access. This is just a way to show Carbine who's doing a lot for the community in your opinion :) </Moderator growl>
    Myrr
    Seyo, tubthumper, Settra and 2 others like this.
  2. Ceodoc

The List

7- Innocentcivilian, Nemeses

6- Yakzan, Kataryna

5- John, "The Mods", Extatica,

4- Rumze, Bisqquit, Evion, MMOPapa

3- Joukehainen, Obliviousprime, Vyver, Fate Flyer, Kurik,

2- Lethality, Zap-Robo, Britney, Seyo, TeoH, Patrician, Crucifer, Viper, Nyxis, Packetdancer, Bogotter

1- Acidbaron, Myrrdhinn, Brenner, Dualist, Outburstz, Robotnik, Zeebo, Ayora, Ardentsun, Infamouz, , Ender, Konoko, Bloodraptor, Quke, Mel, Calsic, Psisstorm, Bonusstage, Naunet, Averad, Dnevnoy, Eselles, Autumal, Gazimoff, Siegaplays, Kaldina, Ruff_ethereal, Fenwick, Silver, Bamshackle, Steampunkette, Chim

Unless singled out, Mods will get a vote as a bunch, bravo!
    Want to avoid rules, so will keep it simple. Not political.

I have a list of voters, who they have voted for and how many of their 5 votes they have used, I will make a spreadsheet and add it later.

To add, 5 most "likes" WSC

I have removed myself, didn't feel right. Which gives these peeps 1 more vote each, if they desire.
    Seyo, Mortelugo & F8L Fool. Thank you for the votes though guys! x
  3. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

For starters the event is called "Pay it Forward", not "play". This post really comes off like you are making an official announcement on behalf of Carbine, rather than proposing an alternative method for allocating beta keys. It's pretty strange that the rules are so vague and for some reason you nominated entire guilds, including your own. That's hardly what I call impartial.

I suggest getting permission and remaking this thread.

EDIT: This was posted prior to the many edits of the opening post.
    Vuxxy likes this.
  4. John

John "That" Cupcake

I nominate Lethality from this site, assuming he's not in already. He knows his stuff.
    Ceodoc likes this.
  5. Tribse

Tribse New Cupcake

Just recently joined so can't nominate anyone yet, like the idea of the community nominating beta testers tho
    Ceodoc likes this.
  6. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<ModFace>Let's keep it civil guys, there's no need for personal attacks.</ModFace>
    Ceodoc likes this.
  7. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Well, it's not like this will be a guaranteed access to the beta. It's just makes easier to Carbine who's contributing a lot to the community. If they see that a people get's many votes, they'll might consider adding him or her to the beta. It's just an extension to the FB post.
    And other than that, the beta is under NDA. You can't even say that you're in it. So if you could get a fix beta access through here and you'd be announced it, that would be a violation to the NDA.
  8. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

Actually I'd call this thread a popularity contest. Being popular and making meaningful contributions to the community are not really one in the same. When you let others be the judge of who is deserving of a beta key it typically comes down to their post frequency and likability, rather than substantive contributions.

Plus there's the issue of nominating people that could very well be in the beta already. What happens if all of the top nominees are already in it? They couldn't say they are in the beta and to remove them from the running, since it would be a violation of the NDA. So we'd have done an event without actually accomplishing anything at all.

This concept is inherently flawed and overreaching is all I'm trying to say.
  9. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

I like the idea of this thread but it kinda went off track. Even though this kind of competition encouraging fake activity on the forums i'll still say my opinion on who i think deserves to be in the beta.

Nyxis
    Dualist
    Zeebo
    Ayora
    MMOPapa
    Ceodoc likes this.
  10. Björn

Björn New Cupcake

To increase interest for the game in Sweden I'd nominate Ruthless for some keys.
    Azhdaha and Ceodoc like this.
  11. Ico

The idea does have some flaws yes, however, this wouldn't be an alternative to what Carbine already have planned for "Pay it Forward" (As Myrr has pointed out), it would just perhaps be a list of names and reasons why as voted by others to take into consideration. This is also what I saw people on these forums and facebook saying would of been a "preferred option".

I do think Carbine have come up with a clever little data collection technique to get their community to basically yell at them what they've been doing! I'd be surprised if we don't see a community spotlight-esque event in the works.

Also CeoDoc, you did technically break your own rule by nominating FG. :p
    Ceodoc likes this.
  12. Galosha

Galosha Cupcake

I say, give keys to moderators of WSC. They not first day with community and they are trying to not let drown constructive thoughts in chaos we generate.

And even if somebody does not deserve, still give it to them - i want more time and opportunities to flood on our favorite topics (threads that being closed fast ;) ).
    Ceodoc and Zapp Brannigan like this.
  13. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Off the top of my head I can't really think of anyone that really stands out..

I'd have to vote for Yakzan for his constant diligence on these forums.

Other than that, generally the adminship/mods of WSC are doing great work for the community.
  14. Ceodoc

Rules updated:
    The rules:
    NONE
    We hope that the popular consensus will weed out poll bending choices, and the communities here and on other fan sites will try to choose names that they know will be great testers and servants of the game overall.
    Thank you for the input.
  15. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I don't have Facebook Account, so I can't really attend the "competition" they have there at the first place, wich makes me a sad panda.
  16. Ico

I asked Aether regarding submission methods for personal submissions. He said he'll get back to me on Monday if he can get an answer :), I suppose even Community Managers need a weekend sometimes!!!
  17. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

Alright, lets see...

ArdentSun :D Edit: Forgot I needed a reason here. <horn>Um, I'm diligent, respectful, and enjoy contributing to the community. </horn>
    Yakzan or Myrrdhinn are the Mods I see around most, friendly, helpful, diligent.
    Apostate is a great poster, civil, respectful, helpful.

That's all I can think of, most of the others that come to mind are friendly (Which does help the community) but I'd rather see people in the beta whom I feel would take the task more seriously (No offense to anyone).
    Alverad likes this.
  18. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

That's flattering, but I've just started as a mod :oops:
  19. Ceodoc

Fixed

Removed those rules, thank you for great feedback.

Am not sure where to go with this great effort.

Thank you so much Fool, for the positive feedback.
    Adjusted proposal to "who you want" so peeps don't get the notion this will win them a beta.
    Went with "play it forward" in inverted comas to not get into trouble for calling it the same as official, but you can't ever get it right here can you so, not sure what to change that bit too.
    Cheers for feedback
    Doc
  20. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

Wait... Are you meaning Myrddhin or Myrrdhinn because Myrrdhinn just became a Moderator :) But he IS very active right now :)