1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Payment Model Discussion Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MiZTiiX, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

It really is up to Carbine how they want to handle the game. If they choose Buy the Box and that's all, so be it. If they choose a subscription- well, then I'll pay the $$ a month. I honestly don't care either way, I would prefer a Sub, but I just want to play.
    Snaggles and Tiktak like this.
  2. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

i'm trying to understand why, as a customer you would prefer a subscription. With so many good games comming out, don't you feel pressurised to play the game if it has a sub because you want to make the most of your $15?
  3. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly, no. As a customer, I would gladly pay $15 a month to enjoy a game WHEN I want. Yes, as a free to play I could do that without paying money, but I honestly would rather help fund the future content. I know "box sales" would help that, too, but not to the extent of which we could have content being thrown at us.
    And I'm a completist, so if there were cash shops, I would feel more obligated to spend more than $15 just to get stupid content that isn't necessary. But that's just me and how I am.
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

As a customer, I like focusing on individual games for a few months at a time, so feeling that pressure is what I like.
  5. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

I think this comic applies here. :ninja:
  6. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Honestly I would feel more pressure in F2P. I would always feel like I am behind everyone else because I am not spending enough money. With P2P, I don't have to worry about spending more money to get the same benefits.

As far as feeling pressured to play to get $15 dollars worth, I can spend that much on 1 or 2 movies (without concessions) which gets me about 4-5 hours entertainment. I get a lot more than that in a month with a P2P game.
  7. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I would have to say that is the microtransaction items are able to give ingame benefits that is not just vanity but actual power, then I am not interested.
  8. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

but the only benefits would be cosmetic
  9. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

very true LOL I plan on buying cosmetic things for Planetside 2 and Guild wars 2.

its probably something physiological about the preference to buy from micro-transactions that pay a sub. On the other hand it could be that, because I have been mostly playing single player games for most of my gaming life I still feel subs are weird.
    Zerdav likes this.
  10. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

What we -really- should be asking is: Is $15(£10)/Month worth the investment? Will I get my monies worth out of this game? (Whatever it is) At what level of time sunk into the game per month is 'enough' to justify the cost?

For me, if I log in, play 6 or more hours once a month, thats already more entertainment than going to the movies. Every hour after that is just racking up more value-for-money for me.
  11. JarNod

What is that smiley face??
  12. Tiktak

:ninja: *Steals all teh Lutes*
  13. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

It's a ninja! Cause I ninja'd the thread and added no relevant info :p
  14. JarNod

Penny Arcade comics are never irrelevant! And I want a ninja now... :p
  15. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Sort of like SOE Station All Pass - too bad they choose to ban European players from that one :p - but with a broader range of quality games.

I've been thinking about this one, and the result would for me right now be:
    • EverQuest 2 (housing, broker system, tons of content)
    • World of Warcraft (Dungeon Finder, Raid Finder - not tried it yet --, Addons: Clique + Atlasloot Enhanced )
    • Rift (public raid forming, rift spawns, char creator)
    • SWTOR (class stories, companions sell junk,
    • The Secret World (for days I want something other than fantasy, single-server, focus moved from levels to skill/ability developement, gear quality is the new level indicator)
    • random game, since I am not totally sure about a sixth :p
    OK, I know it would be unrealistic to ever find this form of cooperative distribution of game time. But a girl can dream, right!
    Alternative to monthy sub it would be nice to be able to tank up for play days. Like 10 days at the same price as a monthly sub. I can decide when to spend them and there will be months where I choose to do a monthly sub due to vacation, new game updates. A gamer who is still in touch with the game is better than a gamer, who has to choose between all or nothing.
    After the first 1-3 frenzy months of saturation on a new game, I get less interested in daily interaction with the game - usually when I have been grinding max level repeatable stuff for a few weeks on multiple toons :p
    Wonder if there is any gamer focus lifecycle studies out there :p
    Didn't exactly get back on topic, huh :)
  16. Snaggles

Snaggles Cupcake

It's more of a business model approach than an option. I don't like gravity but physics doesn't ask for my vote . :)

I've played sub games for YEARS. If the content is fresh enough to keep millions of people hooked indefinitely it makes sense. If the company is leaning towards a cash-shop approach (non P2W items) that works too. Even a good game at $13 a month is a bargain for entertainment. I would prefer $0 per month but that's only because I like money. ;)
  17. Hydros

Hydros Cupcake

Having P2P, F2P and B2P (Guild Wars), I'd say that as long as they can pump out great quality content as fast as they can, then I'll be happy to give them $15 a month(Yes I preffer P2P). Just imagine if they could be as fast as Rift's updates!
  18. Tiktak

I don't play rift. (Tried the beta but hated the soul system. bleh.) How fast are the updates?
    WoW was a bit slow for that. EvE does 2 major game updates a year. Thats a pretty good measure.
  19. Hydros

Hydros Cupcake

Rift has a big update no later than every 2 months aprox. They are also pretty good updates not just rehashes of previous content. Rift is in version 1.9 as of now and the game came out in march 2011.
  20. Tiktak

Wow! That's insane! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.