1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Payment Model Discussion Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MiZTiiX, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

I expect merchandise to be sold through the website.
    If model is only subscription that would be ideal, if there is both then I speculate that players will find issues in this model. How tempted are the developers in making more appealing flying mounts available through cash shop then it being a reward from game progression. What does that do for bragging rights? F2P is ok but it has been done wrong more so then not and that's assuming that I am statistically correct.
    Afrotech likes this.
  2. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Why not? People seem to be ok with downing a boss for a cool mount, why not a cool trophy to put on display?
  3. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

It would work better for the economy.
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

In EQ2 some of the bosses drops heads that you put on a piedestal, that is crafted. The crafting can still come into it, if the drop is only part of the deal, you need to craft the framework to actually showcase it.

Personally I dislike having finer furniture on a cash shop than what my carpenter can make from her craft. It belittles my work with my craft. But could say that armor makers would loose on appearance armor etc., but I really hate when the cash shop gives access to more visually attractive items than crafts can make.

It would unfortunately make sense to have super expensive imported furniture from Protostar, that has another exotic style than what the crafter can make -- as long as we can learn to make something equally nice with the materials we find on the planet and it is tradable, or Protostar might have daily deals on stuff they buy up en masse as good for export ;-)

Back to the topic, my current prefered business model for a new game would be a combo of things, though as we see on this thread, it evolves:

B2P and 9$ monthly sub, lifetime sub earned after 12 months (prepaid if so inclined) for new games.
    F2P trial with some restrictions (level cap, inventory space, access during peak hours) up to the past cap of progression if older game and it makes sense in conjuction with game features.

10-30$ B2P DLC: for new expansion type content/feature packs combos, depending on "size" and "classification", feature upgrades and bug overhauls should not be charged, it is in the developers interest to keep current features working and competitive.

Cash shop for out of game merchandice and ingame appearance items, that fits under the categories:
    1. there is an even number of substitutes that can be found as ingame equally attractive rewards from quests, puzzles, factions or crafts,
    2. it is not required for doing ingame content or achievements,
    3. gender changes etc. unless it works against the games features,
    4. not actual mounts, but appearance harness to mounts (after thinking about it, I am with sprby on this one, no mounts on the cash shop, but why not the option of harnessing the mount up with glitter, it is still the mount itself that is the brag item)

Recruit a friend and other such out of game activities, that may cause ones account to receive a reward, should be made as a cash shop gift card (teach them to spend on the cash shop early ;-) or out of game benefits, like a discount on specific merchandice or access to early signups for fanfaire etc.
  5. Laughter

Laughter New Cupcake

I personally don't mind either. I enjoy supporting video games any way I can might it be paying monthly for a subscription or splurging on the cash shop for Free to Play games.
  6. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

I just don't like the, my toon is better geared than yours because I threw more money at the game setup.

If the in-game store is for fluff, fine.

Having only ever gotten into and really enjoyed/kept playing P2P mmo's over the years perhaps I'm a little bit biased now :) but I have tried almost every mmo out there at some point or another, even if its just been a beta weekend to see if it was for me or not - and i've not found a free one that has kept my attention...yet....
  7. SiegaPlays

I never really played F2P besides as a few days trial. I always went directly for the subscription, if the game engaged me enough during that trial.
  8. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

you mean F2P MMOs or just any F2P game? like LOL, or TF2?

There are some good F2P MMOs coming out (thought of the top of head I can only remember 2 MMOFPSs) with a real F2P system that isn't Buy-to-win.

Side note: did anyone see the weird SWTOR "F2P" model?
  9. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

I knew they were going F2P - figured I might log in and finish off one of my 8 toon's story lines if I got bored enough :) but didn't know they had announced an actual model yet.

Its bad I assume?
  10. ObliviousPrime

You can see for yourself here
  11. SiegaPlays

That actually looks like a decent model. A trial called F2P with full access to the single player experience, weekly cap on how many times one can enter multiplayer features and required sub for operations endgame. Login limitation is imho a natural move, people who play sub should have first priority, when servers are full. The char creation limitation is meh, but I believe it is only about what races people can pick.

Comparing SOE model and SWTORs model, I also prefer the travel inconvenience on SWTOR rather than getting only half a character on SOE (the other half is locked down as limited bank, inventory, quest journal limits). It is going to be annoying with travel inconvenience, but it is outside my character, so feels more acceptable.

Wonder how well the race limit works with already earned legacy, or if non-subs are not getting the legacy in their model. Wonder if some of my 8 toons will be locked because their race is limited to subs only - and if so, if I get offered the chance to race change or maybe race change on discount or I get grandfathered into races I already made.

Edit: Actually, do people still have to pay the initial game price? Then it is B2P for the single player experience. +++
  12. SiegaPlays

Guess the limitations to the f2p is not fully fleshed out, so the SWTOR model could end up horrible. The game is perfect for the setup though, if they handled it well. There is a hundred ways they can screw it up, but I could see it look something like this and grow:

Account access
    Client download, unlimited
    Login, secondary priority in queues for free accounts
    Character access, within the f2p model unless unlocked

Character creation:
    Premade looks, possible to unlock through cartel shop (read bellow)
    Races limitation, possible to unlock through cartel shop (read bellow)
    Character slots, unlimited

Character developement
    Single player story line, unlimited
    Inventory, unlimited
    Legacy, unlimited
    Currency, unlimited
    Gear quality, unlimited
    Guild member access, unlimited

Character feature access.
    Guild creation access, available through cartel shop
    Cargo bay, limited to one tab
    GTN, weekly buy cap, no selling.
    Travel, limited, 10 times longer CD on insta travel items.
    Operations, unavailable.
    Flashpoints, weekly cap.
    Warzones, weekly cap.
    Space missions, weekly cap.
    Crew missions, weekly cap.
    Quest journal, dailies/weeklies cap (unlimited for subs).

Cash shop items for account features:
    Character slots
    Race unlock /one char, correct faction, getting to max level will unlock account wide through legacy. *
    Full access char customization for customization of visual look and gender switch /one char *
    Character transfers *

Cash shop items, :
    Guild creation ledger *
    Cargo bay tab unlock * (all players still have to pay the ingame fee for said tab)
    Appearance gear **
    Vanity pets **
    Mounts **
    Travel card, resets cd on instant travel clickies, 10 charges **
    Flashpoint card, resets the weekly cap, 10 charges
    Warzone card, resets the weekly cap, 10 charges
    Space mission card, resets resets weekly cap, 10 charges
    Crew mission card, resets the weekly cap, 10 charges
    Quest card, resets daily/weekly cap, 10 charges
    No power items what-so-ever, which includes stat gear, stat consumables, insta "win" items.
    Operations appearance/vanity pet/mount drops not included on Cartel shop!

*) free for subscribers
    **) chance as rare ingame drop for subscribers
  13. ObliviousPrime

They still have to buy the game though not as much as we had to pay before since now its only around 14.99 or so.

The thing is I would not call it a F2P model its more or a hybrid model.

I think I heard that the limited access to warzones and flashpoints means you can only play them an X number of times per week.

I am not going back to the game, but from the people who are going back I'm hearing they only want to go back to finish their character stories.
  14. SiegaPlays

If they have to buy the game, then it is not F2P, but more B2P with limited access. The hybrid model is actually just an extended trial, but it has become trendy to call limited access F2P, scaring away die hard subbers and making the 24 hour flies clap their little hands.

Actually, from what I understand it will be free download. The reason it cost 14.95 now is because it includes the one month sub.
  15. Mario Ivanhoe Abatiello

Mario Ivanhoe Abatiello New Cupcake

Reason i will not get a F2p game. 1 cash shop i hate cash shops i dont want to pay to win i dont want to be able to play the game and someone who play 1 hr a week come in and be able to aquire everything ive worked hard for thats not a game thats not something you invest time into. to not be at the top level if they go free to play thats fine but dont include a cash shop and dont include cool things for my house in game that i cant own unless i spend real money id rather pay 15$ a month and be able to aquire everything i want.
  16. Snaggles

Snaggles Cupcake

Cash shops don't always mean P2W. It's commonplace in most the eastern F2P games but not a necessity.

I like the hybrid B2P and cash shop. Vanity items and char slots for example vs Hammer o' One-shot.
  17. Mario Ivanhoe Abatiello

yeah but what if they have this reallly bad ass housing set that is like 400usd vs killing monsters and buying it from the store with in game currancy
  18. Snaggles

Snaggles Cupcake

You can play "what if?" all day but it's just going to take years off your life.

Even IF they did it wouldn't be "pay to win" unless it was a pvp house game where the bought ones had cannons where you could knock the (unarmed) earned ones out of the sky. If it's a chair or a crocheted pillow my guess is you can get other chairs and pillows the normal way. If not and sitting gives you exp it would definitely be P2W.

No offended intended. Just wanted to joke around. :). You have very valid points and all companies wishing to last should avoid that stuff like the plague.
  19. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

You bring up a good point here which raises the question should all items in cash shop be available through game if the game is both subscription and cash shop.
  20. Mario Ivanhoe Abatiello

well to both you and snaggels i think you should be able to eventually be able to buy the cool stuff from cash shop with ingame currency even if its expensive
    Snaggles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.