1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Payment Model Discussion Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MiZTiiX, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

I will agree with you
    Snaggles likes this.
  2. Mario Ivanhoe Abatiello

Mario Ivanhoe Abatiello New Cupcake

i saw in videos they collect copper i wish they would change the money names make it more futuristic
  3. Snaggles

Snaggles Cupcake

Agreed as well :).
  4. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I don't mind most revenue models as long as they are done well. I do not like P2W. Though I tend to not spend a penny in F2P hybrids and have no problem with paying a monthly in P2P's. It all boils down to whether or not the game is worth paying to play. Most of the MMORPG's that have come out over the last few years have not been "worth it," in my opinion.
  5. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Yet another one of SOE games -- Vanguard -- has (pre)launched their F2P.

While SOE consider their model a success, I think it needs some work, before it can reach its full potential.

Right now as it is they loose a LOT of potential paying customers by implementing their restriction directly on the character, which turns a lot of insulted return players off -- yes, they take it personal, when someone mess with their alter ego character.
    In Vanguard it is mostly a absurd gear restriction and currency limit. They also totally remove the experience of some features from the free player, so they will be less likely to get interested in some of Vanguards stronger features.

Currently they also loose some new players on the item restriction - having to unlock gear anywhere under level 20 is retarded. At endgame it makes some sense, but not on levelling gear. Unless they at least made appropriate unlock sticks for specific item levels and item quality. An unlock on a level 21 piece of gear is not as much worth as unlocking a gear item at max level of same quality. An unlock on a max level low quality gear is not as high value as an unlock of a max level high quality gear (which is less likely to be replaced until level cap is changed).

I believe they should remove the elements effecting the character directly, maybe keep it for max level only, and give enough of a teaser of every feature to make the free player want more, by buying cap removals periodically. Even if it makes more people stay around for free, it also gives more players a better chance of getting to the point of giving the game a chance to take their money, and the community will be bigger and more lively. More happy players gives more happy players that sticks around to spend money, while disgruntled players, who never got the chance to see the game shine (and it has a lot of goodies, it is just hidden away as a exclusive sub benefit) only spreads the knowledge of how awful the model really is.

The one good change compared to EQ2 they did to the model is remove class and race restrictions for the first 20 levels. A person getting their character "all the way" to 20, is likely to want to stick around and unlock the class/race at that point.

Personally though I would rather see class/race combos locked out from free players, than see specific classes and specific races locked out. There must be some sort of imbalance in having a huge amount of specific classes running around.

They may also have loosened up on the broker restriction, on EQ2 you have to pull out the unlock stick whenever you want to sell or buy, on Vanguard I believe they can at least buy, which again is good for the community at large. More happy players... etc.

They are unfortunately in the current form bashing people over the head with a need for subbing, instead of offering free to play with a cash store to unlock cap on features as a regular alternative to the subscription. It pretty much kill the model as free to play and makes it a extended trial.

More and more people would prefer to spend the same in average, but in a form where they decide, when to do it - either due to economy going up and down, or because they have their time divided between the game and other stuff, like another game or real life. Or they are just control freaks enough for it to matter.
  6. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

How do you use your phone? I have a subscription tied to set amount of minutes of calling time. I get X minutes for Y euro. I think the same tiered model could work for an mmo. For example:
    1. 60 hours - 2.99 / month
    2. 120 hrs - 5.99
    3. 180 hrs - 8.99
    4. 240 hrs - 11.99
    5. Unlimited - 14.99
    Or just maybe a flat fee per minute. Taking WoW's subscription as a base (12.99 euro / 43200 minutes per 30 days) = 0.0003. In this case if you play 2 hrs each evening it would cost you 1.08 euro. Pay what you play!
  7. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I brought up this before on other boards for games in development. I liked it but it met a luke-warm reception for some reason. So, I guess you can say I like the idea. :)

This really helps out the casual players and does not affect the ones that play 24 hours a day, so I am not sure why players could be against it. I can see why the company wouldn't like it because they would lose money on a subscription model.
  8. SiegaPlays

I would be ok with that concept, though going afk to write on Wildstar Central would put me into the unlimited bracket :p
  9. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

The lower subscriptions might give enough motivation for the anti-P2P players to play the game. I myself don't mind paying 12.99 / month, but I can see why others are objected to that.

Playing 4 hours each day is a lot and the amount 5.99 is really not that much.
  10. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

F2P models always bring the same antics... Grievers galore, and a plethora of immature peeps that don't care because if they get banned they just open another account. Even with all of that, this is what really bothers me.
    Quoted from a interview with a EA exec on his take on the future of P2P vs F2P models.

^^This in a nutshell is what is wrong with F2P. Sounds like fun... I'm cruising along and then wham. Would you like to enter this instance? Please click here to pay 2 dollars for the privilege. Talk about a break in any type of immersion, not to mention feeling like I have been held hostage. No thanks.
  11. Chrilin

Yeah I saw that too... I am hoping that was just a placeholder type of thing.
  12. SiegaPlays

That is why I would prefer a cap on (periodic) use of every features, instead of a total limitation or peanut counting. Rest should be a well thought out fluff microtransaction, that is an addition to ingame rewards and crafting, not direct competition. If your lockout timers shows on character select screen, you know before you enter, if you can't use a feature and you can buy to reset cap for the period or decide to do one of the other features.

Btw, imagine if instead of buying furniture directly, a player can buy a furniture recipy book from the cash store and use it in a comission window to let a crafter make it - bind on pickup for the furniture in question, naturally.
  13. Chrilin

Your argument is concise, I like the mention of rested being involved on some level, it is an interesting idea.

Cash shops or okay in principle. I have bought a couple of cosmetic items from them in the past.

What I worry about is the trend of most (not all) games that are F2P.

They seem to always end up with items that are P2W... maybe not at first, but over time.
    Even with a hybrid model like Swtor's new scheme, the fear is that over time that the desire for revenue will lead to more and more items in the cash shop being pawned off as actual content updates for the people that subscribe monthly.

Bottom line for me is that as long as it doesn't become P2W, and I have the option to subscribe for full access I will be okay with it.

These ideas are cool, but they have to be sure to design them in a way that doesn't cause inflation within the in-game economy.
  14. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Those will be items they can't sell. Bound on Pickup or Soulbound: the property of an item that prevents it from being traded, sold or mailed to another character.
  15. Chrilin

Agreed.
  16. Faith

Faith New Cupcake

It shouldn't be P2P simply because I don't have any money because I spent it on GW2 and brand and food and I want to play for free because my rent is TOO D**** HIGH.
    [​IMG]
  17. SiegaPlays

You'd be tired of GW2 by the time Wildstar comes out, time enough to save up a few dimes every month ;-)
  18. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I really hope they come up with a plan that isn't anything we've seen used in a game before. One that silences both camps. P2P and F2P, they are so different. There will always be a loser. Hope they find something that satisfies both.
  19. Snaggles

Snaggles Cupcake

They should have a system that acquires change from around the house when you put it down. Couches, chairs, the washing machine screen, that unreachable gap between the car door and seat rail.

Just think. They could charge the equivalent of $30 a month and we wouldn't even know! The ninja of hard currency!
  20. SiegaPlays

Been watching the YouTube channel ExtraCreditz, and one of the videos is about microtransaction games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.