1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Pets? That is all.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Autumnal, Sep 18, 2011.

?

Pets: " Yay!" or "Neigh"

1. Yay!

100.0%
  2. Neigh. I see what you did, there, Brony.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Actually, that is not all. Unless I've missed the info somewhere (entirely possible), pets are ( among many things) a great unknown for WildStar. Do they have a place on Nexus (and please, not as a 'pet tamer class', even though I play them, myself).

"Pets and MMO's" go together like "Mounts and MMO's", "Housing &MMO's, " and "Dungeons & MMO's", but where do they fit in in a Space Western?

IMHO, if they exist, at all, they ought to be vanity-only. Like a Mini Maw, (as suggested), or maybe an "eye-bot" from the trailer. I cannot imagine them being functional enough to cover all the announced (and future) classes, nor can I envision it being a "Playstyle" of it's own. Well, actually, I *can* , but not without reservation. Regardless of the visual range of cool-looking pets, if they have function applied to them, there will invariably be 1 or 2 "desired" pets in the long run. Especially if pets with function become "class specific". How many times have you seen, in a MMO : "Ooh! I like your pet! Where can I get one?" "You can't, they are not for your class." Instant let-down.

Do I think pets have a place in WildStar? Of course. If nothing else, then it's another opportunity for the players to express themselves on Nexus. Some people's playstyle revolves around pets, but I personally wouldn't want to see a Granok named "Ash" running around bellowing "Gotta catch 'em all!". Of course, this is likely to happen, anyways.

If pets do exist "in the wild", and outside a vanity shop purchase, I believe that "Pet Taming" ought be a skill that *any* class can acquire, just like "cooking", "Mining", ect, ect. Set up this way, I believe it to be an additional facet to "play your own way", rather than an exclusionary talent. With functionless pets, they become a personal expression, rather than a tactical decision.

Of course, this represents only my opinion, and not that of WildStar Central, Carbine Studios, or NCSoft, any of whom can overrule me, at any given moment. ;)

Feel free to share your insights, pro or con, as well!
    Torvaldr likes this.
  2. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

If there's a 'pet class', I'd expect it to be an engineer-type with robotic servants. That would be most genre-appropriate, and most logical given the native wildlife is obviously not going to be familiar to any 'animal handler' sorts and thus very difficult to domesticate.
    Autumnal likes this.
  3. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Except that we have validation (in the Eldan's Metal Maw) that pet handling at least *was* a practice. Pick up an Eldan Data-Cube and *poof* "I know pet training", ala Neo from the Matrix. Not to mention the "scanny-bot thingy" the Aurin had in the trailer.

I agree with the 'Engineer' idea, though, it would make genre sense.
  4. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I'd love to see pets in one way or another, maybe as a tradeskill of sorts. Let's say you have an engineer type of tradeskill profession that has the ability to create not only bots as pets, but also vehicles to use as a form of transport? There could also be one based around taming and training up wildlife as companions (they could be taught tricks, for example) or mounts. Players with these professions would be able to sell or give these to other players as well, then they'd have a certain viability in the money-making department.

I think both of these would be pretty appropriate with the genre - after all, we are going to Nexus to explore, discover and settle the planet!
  5. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

We need a mini-metalmaw pet. It would be the cutest monstrosity ever.
    starspun and Autumnal like this.
  6. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, we really need to campaign (more!) for a Mini Maw.
  7. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

Idea! As you are walking around with your Mini Metal-Maw, it will occasionally zap critters and other wildlife with it's lazer cannon.

"Awww, that's so cute FiFi, you totally zapped that... well I'm not sure WHAT that thing was, but I'm sure it totally deserved it!"

Then maybe you can loot the critter corpse for something like low leveling cooking ingredients.
  8. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

What about beasts of burden? Settlers taming space cattle and rat catchers.

Or beasts endangered by extintion, scientists finding the last of its kind baby beasts to nuture up and save the species.

Or beast that never saw a sentient before, explorers stumbling into a nest of space gorillas in the far out corners of the world and gets adopted, soon to find himself dangling through treetops screaming ohhayahaiaoaoioaooooo as he travels on with a baby chimp on his shoulder.

Or the hardened soldiers who finds himself unable to kill the blind newborn toddler space puma, whose pack he just eliminated.
  9. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

Im pretty sure the flying bot thing, is a pet for the scientist. It probably is their scanning device.

When there are pets in Wildstar, they shouldn´t occupy bag space. I really liked pets in all the MMO´s I played but it was hard for me to choose which one I would take on my journey.
    VooDoo likes this.
  10. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

ya, im in agreement with Dragor. I like functional pets. A few games do this such as Age of Conan, Aion and recently Warhammer Online introduced functional pets. They can be obtained both through the cash shops or in game.

They serve functions like the ability to carry items (extra bag space), beneficial buffs, auto-loot dead mobs, detect enemy players, increase currency drop rates by 5% etc.
  11. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I've been spoilt - since the Mastermind class in City of Heroes nothing else has really measured up!

However, we've seen the Dominion NPC's have an Engineer mob that drops turrets so hopefully we can get something similar for both factions (perhaps a Team Fortress 2/Global Agenda style mechanic where your initial turret drop is either low powered or non-functional until you put resources into constructing it).
  12. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Dare I admit this...? :cautious:

I absolutely LOVE pets in MMOs! Functional is better than vanity, but best is a generous selection of both. My first level 50 in CoV was a Mastermind. I just could not stop playing around with pet macros, commands, tactics, and whatnot. And when they introduced "bodyguard", well, in all the years I've played MMOs that was the ONE time I felt indebted to the PvP folks. Veteran pets are another interesting facet of CoH. Some of them are pure vanity, others are semi-functional.

Didn't I read somewhere that one advantage to scientists is if they study the local wildlife long enough they can learn how to tame some of them? And then there is that one piece of concept art in the FanKit with a winged something or other jumping into the arms of a laughing Aurin? :cool:

I'm convinced there will definitely be pets. What kind of pets, how they are implemented, and who can have them are still up in the air, but the few hints that have slipped out are very tantalizing.

Edit: Oh! Oh! Oh! I almost forgot! In Wish I had a Pony and a Wild Cat/Panther thingy. The Pony could carry a ton of resources and other items and the Cat was a great hunting partner. And in Lineage II I had Wolves and Hatchlings. Never did get one to change into a Strider, but that's okay. The Wolves took some care, especially with more powerful monsters, but once you got the hang of it they were great hunting partners. Armor and weapons came out for them eventually, and then they were incredible.

So, um, yeah. Pets are great. Gotta have pets!
  13. Torvaldr

Torvaldr New Cupcake

I love pet classes. I end up playing them in most every game.

Starspun I really like your idea for having pet vocations to train, trade, and gift pets.

I also like the idea that every class can have companions of some sort or another. To expand on the concept of functional pets it would be neat of there were companions that buffed or enhanced players and parties. The functional pets in Aion seem very rudimentary to me.

When I imagine a non-combat companion it would have multiple aspects it could enhance and would function in a more tactical sense. Maybe companions for explorers would help them excel in their function and capacity to uncover in some ways. I'm not exactly sure yet since I don't know how the path structure works, but I'm thinking in subtle ways where the player would have to think a little.
  14. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I love pets. I'll admit that I even love vanity pets. One thing I loved doing in WoW was tryingto find and collect the vanity pets
    I don't care how pets come into play in WildStar, as long as I can "catch 'em all."
    Hehe.
    bamf likes this.
  15. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

I enjoy pet classes. One of my alts is always a pet class. I mostly use them as my solo/farming alt. If there is no pet class I think it'd be neat to be able to train non-combat pets to do other helpful things like tracking or as pack animals.
  16. Jelena

Jelena New Cupcake

Always loved playing pet classes and collecting vanity pets. Whats not to like about pets :). Petclasses are usually the classes I play when I'm soloing so I'm never alone.......
  17. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

*cough* Nice avatar Jelena. ;)

Also, that's a good point about the feeling of companionship they provide. That's too easily overlooked as a positive element.
    Autumnal likes this.
  18. bamf

bamf New Cupcake

I love collecting vanity pets and will go out of my way to collect any pet that is available.
  19. Melanie Dawn McGreevey

Melanie Dawn McGreevey New Cupcake

Starspun nailed it for me. I'd like to see craftable "droid" pets, or possibly as a class ability to craft them, and each varies on the class "type". IE; Science/Resource gathering, fighting/hunting, mounts/beast of burden, etc. Really the types could be quite humerous, and fun to have a variety that all fit with your "class theme".

Did i use enough "quotes", or should i use "more"? ;P