1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Player-created content

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Brotoi, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

One of the things people learned to love in Ultima Online was guild housing. The "Settler" path in WildStar is reportedly designed around setting up and improving structures within the game world, including laying out colonies. I am greatly looking forward to creating a Settler alt or three so that I can experiment with this skillset.

But player-created content does not need to limited to setting up, improving, and maintaining cities and towns. One of my favorite aspects of City of Heroes is the Mission Architect that was added with the Architect Edition. The Mission Architect allows players to create up to three storylines all their own. Each storyline can be up to five missions long. Enemy groups, enemy bosses, and enemy combat skills can all be customized or built from scratch by combining a huge library of pre-existing templates and components. Maps are restricted to the existing maps, but there are dozens (possibly a couple hundred) different maps to choose from.

Now, production schedules and whatnot being what they are, I don't expect WildStar to have something similar to CoH's Mission Architect right from the day it launches. I would hope, however, that the functionality and expandability would be coded into the game engine right from the beginning so that it could be added later on.

What kind of player-created content would you like to see?
    (Try to keep it real, eh?)
  2. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I agree. The Settler path will have a lot going for it! I'm still with the notion that Settlers should be needed in one way or another for "Player Housing". Just an idea, but if you, the player finally had the coin to establish yourself a home, why not utilize the Path system and enable Settlers who are skilled enough in their path to lay the foundation, per se, for your new home?

Also, with the player generated content- I'd also like to see something similar. Though, I believe that Soldier's will actually be able to create Public Events with their path... maybe after release, they will be able to expand on this- as you said, Brotoi. I'd love for a Public Event to all of a sudden turn into a quest series.
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I am not sure how resources are set up, but I would like to see settlers be able to build mining camps and lumber camps and hire NPC workers to gather the materials. This would be used to maintain not only the camps but other buildings in the towns. You would also have the option to gather materials as well if you wanted to speed up the process.
    Brotoi likes this.
  4. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Likewise, Star Trek Online has it's Foundry system to creating ingame content. However, I hope that WildStar avoids introducing this for at least a year or two.

City of Heroes could do it because it had years of canon to pull on so people could craft missions. Likewise, Star Trek Online has it's IP canon for players to refer to for mission creation. WildStar has nothing out the gate - as an original IP it needs to hold off until people get the gist/flavour of the universe. Otherwise, you'll run the heavy risk of a lot of copyright infringement.

Additionally, player-created content in that vein would have to be instanced in some manner and Carbine have stated they want to keep instancing on the down-low - the bulk of the world will be a seamless shared environment.
  5. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

I agree. Right from the beginning would be awkward, as I said above. I was thinking more in terms of production schedules, but the lack of player familiarity with the IP is an excellent point. Third year would be ideal, I think. The point I was trying to make was my hope that the potential would be realized early on, allowing for a more modular game engine which could easily be expanded to include player-centric content editors. If the modular concept is in place right from the beginning, it can even simplify the creation of administrator tools and content editors for the creative staff.

The implementation in WildStar could easily be something similar to the way it is handled in CoH. A "holodeck" style training simulator/entertainment hub located in existing colonies. Perhaps the hub itself could be one of the structures Settlers have the option of building, so that some colonies would have it and others would not, depending on the vision (and/or budget) of the Settler/Clan who built and manage that particular colony.

But maybe I'm getting too abstract and theoretical. Or maybe (hopefully!) the team at Carbine Studios is way ahead of me and I'm actually being too simplistic! :cool: