1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Player Housing

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Proper, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Proper

Proper Founding Member

I was thinking about the idea of Player housing, and I had (what I think is) a great idea. What if the player housing was space ships. The space ships would simply sit in orbit like satellites, and then you could get a guild hall as well that would have connection pods for all of the guildies who have spaceship homes. This removes a lot of things like requiring physical space for player housing, and just puts it into an endless space where so many "homes" could exist. What do you guys think?
  2. souper

souper Founding Member

I believe that is what they are doing in the Star Wars MMO.

I think its a good idea. Wouldn't be as hard to do as laying out land for players to place houses on. Simultaneously, that's one of the drawbacks since there is something special about seeing a town made by players. Can't really get that feeling with instanced spaceships.

Hopefully they'll at least have something.
  3. Proper

Proper Founding Member

Hmm I wasn't thinking that they would be instanced, I just thought that they would have TONS of room, and players could possibly hang out in similar quadrants. This way you could still see a lot of people's ships around and it would still feel like a little city/community.
  4. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I like the idea for the Dominion (who by appearance seem to be more high-tech, at this stage) but then you have a situation where you're moving the inter-faction conflict to orbit and the focus (at least so far) seems to be planet-side and the colonisation of the abandoned world (as indicated by the Path of "Settler")

I wouldn't rule out the idea, but I reckon it'd be more likely to appear in an expansion...
  5. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I'm all for player housing- whether it be Space Ships, or actual "houses".
    We'll see what happens, I guess. I'm sure somewhere down the road we'll see something to this effect.
  6. Scrawny

Scrawny Cupcake

Player housing?! Not since the days of Ultima have I experienced this. I would love to see what they do.
  7. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

I would like to place an advance order for a nice, clean Warren, please. Perhaps a bit on the scheme of a Hobbit Shire, equipped with ADT (Anti-Dominion Traps), a herb garden, root cellar, and a full compliment of ECM, a garage, a cartography table, several dozen guest rooms, and (if it's not too much to ask) , a secure landing pad. You provide the turrets, I'll provide the ammo.

If it's a bit small, no worries - Aurin hands were made for digging.
    Brotoi likes this.
  8. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Bwahaha, yeah, sure, guest rooms...

Teasing aside, player housing would be rad. Personally I'd prefer non-instanced (although I understand the reasoning behind it in certain games), planet-side (though rooms on a ship in orbit around Nexus is a sweet idea - not a personal ship, but a huge ship with several cabins available for players to do with as they see fit) and with a small variety of styles (perhaps based on race, but not restricted to them). I'd also love to see decorating options as seen in SWG or EQ2, and functional furniture, such as in WoW, or Aion, or Fallen Earth, where you can click on a chair or bench or similar and your character will actually sit down on it. Climbing on top of furniture and typing /sit often looks fairly awkward. I know it's a minor thing, but it really is something I'd love to see in more games, even the ones where player housing isn't available.
  9. .selebu

.selebu Cupcake

Hm, not a feature I need to see, but certainly entertaining i guess
    after all, we have a settler path =D
  10. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

My favourite version of this is in LotRO where if you use the /sit command close to a chair, the chair will move to match your location and facing while you sit in it.

Anyway, I don't think space-ship housing is in the cards. As far as we know, the game is set on only the one planet (at least at launch) and living in orbit would defy the whole colonisation angle. There's also the problem of sitting in orbit being probably the least secure location against the enemy faction.

My hunch is that part of Settler gameplay involves setting up colonies, which means they're responsible for player housing.
  11. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

*blinks uncertainly* Housing? I have an entire planet and two satellites to explore! Just give me a pup tent and one of those motorcycle things and I'm good.
    Autumnal likes this.