1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Poll: Do you like the business model?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Aug 19, 2013.

?

Do you like the announced business model?

1. Yes

63.5%
  2. Mostly yes

21.8%
  3. Mostly no

7.6%
  4. No

7.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

What exactly do you not like about it?
  2. Tonks

Tonks Cupcake

Wow look at this thread. More people with the "I don't want to pay a sub fee" without having any knowledge of the content Carbine will provide for said sub fee.

To all you nay-sayers, i'd assume that if Carbine magically makes the best game ever created and regularly updates it and it cures cancer you wouldn't play it because it has a sub fee? I'd wager the vast majority of you have not played the game at a convention or are in the beta so what are you basing your argument that $15 a month is too much?
  3. Beesti

Beesti New Cupcake

I'm only 15 and if i was to get subscription i would be using non existent money to play and if my parents were to pay money would get out of hand considering theyre paying for enough. I would try get a job but its just hard for where i live. I may seem to be Exagerating but i have actually been waiting a very very long time for wildstar and now and all this business model tells me is to either waste my time buying the box and grinding non stop just for another month of grinding and AH. This is why i would much rather pay once for the box and play forever without any more fees.
  4. Mithrildar

Mithrildar New Cupcake

It's just not possible for a game developer to release regular content patches (the size of WoW patches, not GW2 patches) without asking players for subscription money without making the game pay to win. The current subscription model is probably going to work out the best for most of the players and it's always <REDACTED> when it doesn't work out for some people. I think that Carbine has put in some effort with CREDD to make sure that the people without much money still have a chance to play the game.

I would suggest you to ask your parents for some pocket money, it's normal for kids your age to get some money for their own each month. If you're already getting that then you need to find what your priorities are and what you want to spend your money on the most. If you're not getting enough you could look at moving the lawn for your neighbors or washing their car for some money, you will probably also be able to purchase a CREDD every few months. At your age I did a lot of stuff for my neighbors and I was able to afford most of the stuff that I wanted.
  5. Beesti

Beesti New Cupcake

I have enough money now to pay for the box but i'm not sure ill end up getting enough money in 1 month for CREDD or even a subscription. How much money will CREDD Cost and will it ONLY be accessed from purchase? Like.. If i end up going the CREDD route would i be paying for the CREDD for another month.
    Then.. wouldn't that just be exactly like a subscription?
  6. Mithrildar

Mithrildar New Cupcake

There is no CREDD route or Subscription route. You will be able to use CREDD for one month and then pay for a subscription the other month and then possibly use CREDD the next one again. This should allow you to pay some months with money and some months with the in-game currency, this would for example allow you to save up your money of two months and save up the gold you earn in two months.
  7. GloryHogXL

GloryHogXL Cupcake

I like the business model, I'm just not in like with it.
  8. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

We'll just to wait and see. It all depends on how much gold people will make, how much gold sinks are in the game, etc. Depending on those factors, this could be a great system, or a terrible one... I'm hoping for the best.

Personally, I will not pre-order the game, and will wait a couple of months to see how it goes. I've waited a few years, I can wait a few more months after that.
  9. Chooby

Chooby Cupcake

The only thing I don't like about it is that someone could buy a ton of CREDD and just sell it for in-game gold to kick-start crafting/repairs/ anything else that requires in-game currency.

Kinda sketchy if you ask me -- They should just make it a flat subscription. If the MMO is successful then people will pay for it.
  10. Tacomagamefan

Tacomagamefan Cupcake

So the unscientific poll is overwhelmingly positive for the business model and I am one of them. I just read through all 10 pages of this mostly negative thread -- the silent majority though is for a subscription assuming it's a great game.

Here's my take: WoW has been king of the mmo market with a subscription model for almost a decade because it's a superior quality product. Other recently launched games started as a subscription but later changed because there is a different necessary model for a less than superior quality game to make money. They thought they had a great product, but they didn't.

Wildstar thinks it has a superior product, and it has a lot of overhead to pay to keep it that way. If players don't like the game, then we will see the same cycle with Wildstar that we saw with the other games. But Wildstar is aiming their product to people who want a truly superior game and are happy and able to pay for it.

I love that Wildstar is betting on itself to succeed. The only thing I would change in the model is that I would drop the subscription levels to $12.99/mo., $11.99/mo. for three months, $10.99/mo. for six months and $9.99/mo. for a year. The reason is that these prices would be closer to monthly costs of other forms of monthly paid entertainment like Netflix, Sirius, and Spotify Premium. It would also just go down a little easier to shave off a couple bucks a month than the same 'ol same 'ol $14.99/mo. which has a pejorative atmosphere about it to some (not me).
    Malorak and Baamz like this.
  11. Corpus

Corpus New Cupcake

Pro's and cons for and against,never going to keep everyone happy meh :-/
  12. Vmoped

Vmoped New Cupcake

I like their model thus far, and I applaud them for adding the CREDD option for those who want an alternative to playing. Ideally (imo) they would go a freemium model where you can buy options ala carte or pay a sub (like LOTRO/DDO). If Wildstar is a good game then the sub + box price will be well worth it. Keep in mind too, Im sure everyone will be able to get enough to buy CREDD at some point and get occaisional (or frequent based on play/trade) free month(s). I like options.

Cheers!
  13. Marakesh

Marakesh Cupcake

I do think Gaffney misrepresented CREDD as a f2p option. He's trying to sound conciliatory, so the f2p people don't feel like it didn't go their way. I would suspect if w* works like other mmo's then it will be something hardcore casual players can aspire to get some of the time. They will sell it mostly to hardcore raiders, giving both of these two groups stuff they like to do. In previous mmo's the power gold crowd has been where a lot of the hardcore solo players gravitate to, and obviously raiders like having difficult raid content.

In short, this probably isn't going to be the mmo for you, as it has been designed for a more hardcore group from the beginning. The developer comments about 60+% of players being solo doesn't necessarily mean that its going to be made for those who see a 15$ sub as too much for what they will get out of the game. There are many people how put in a lot of hours as solo, out in the world, adventuring, gathering, crafting, and AHing. If you play that much, you are likely to see 15$ every month, or maybe only every other month as an acceptable price.

There are however many variants of f2p mmo's and moba's out there. So, you have a wide variety of options while we are pinning are hopes on a new batch of mmo's, although mostly w* really.
  14. Ergilion

Ergilion Cupcake

Purchase 2 Play + micro transactions (only stuff involving visuals and cosmetics + possible mounts. nothing affecting game mechanics / balance)
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Necro

inb4lock
  16. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> As much as we appreciate the enthusiasm, for most topics it's best to open up a new thread rather than bring back an old one. Locked. </Mod Monocle>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.