1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Poll: Which raid size do you prefer participating in at end-game?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kahlan, Feb 23, 2013.

?

Which raid size do you prefer participating in at end-game?

1. 10

41.1%
  2. 15

17.9%
  3. 20

30.5%
  4. 25

21.1%
  5. 30

2.1%
  6. 35

1.1%
  7. 40

43.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

Raid size is an important part of end-game to a lot of people - as can be seen in various threads around Wild-Star Central. That said, which raid size do you find ideal for your progression/enjoyment at end-game?

Edit: The point is to gauge which players PREFER. This means being required to pick which size you are most interested in playing, not to say it is the only raid size you would participate in if given options.
  2. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

To me, it's all about finding people I want to play with and actually have a good time communicating with. With that said, I also like larger raids becuase I think it makes them THAT much more epic! I like that Carbine is considering the 40-man raid, but I'm worried about the 20/40 split that necessitates guilds bifurcating their raid teams on 20-man nights.

I like the 25-man raids of WoW and the 20-man raids of Rift... I've never actually done an old 40-man (I was an FPS player back when they were a thing in WoW!) so I'm not sure how well they work, but everyone I've talked to equates them to herding cats so... to say I'm nervous would be pretty spot-on!
  3. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Where are the 1 or 5 options?
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  4. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

There should also be an option for "All of the above". I'm looking forward to 40-mans but would enjoy any size raid, assuming the fights are fun and engaging.
    JarNod likes this.
  5. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

Polls are pointless! They just get merged with other threads and cease to exist :(

Also i get why you put the incriments of 5, but probably would have been best sticking with 10/20/40 100+ and idc aslong as its fun options.
  6. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I understand - as is said in the first post and the title, the point is to gauge which players PREFER. This means being required to pick which size you are most interested in playing, not to say it is the only raid size you would participate in if given options.
  7. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I'll assume you're being facetious since there isn't any precedence for 1 or 5 player raids.
  8. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

40-man raids have been deeply missed for me; I am glad that Carbine is taking a stand against naysayers of 40-mans and implementing hugely cooperative raiding content.
  9. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

Ok, fair enough. Perhaps a better option would be to add "No strong opinion" to the list. Let me elaborate:

I'm excited for 40-man raids. I love the magnitude of the fights and the chaos it can bring.

However, I would be wrong if I said I am looking forward to 40-mans more than a challenging 20-man. To me, it's all about the boss encounter. Like I mentioned in a previous post, there are some fight mechanics that only work in a smaller environment. Conversely, some only work in a large group. I'm most excited for the boss mechanics, not how many people I do them with.

Perhaps I'm just being challenging here and nobody shares my view. :p I apologize in advance if this is the case. It's your poll and I'm interested to see the results of it.
  10. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

While I think BlackWolf is being facetious, it brings up an interesting point. Why should 10 be the cutoff for raid content?
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Just making a point. :)
  12. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

To me, anything below 10 means that we're just doing dungeons. There's a clear distinction between doing a 5-man dungeon and doing a 10-man raid. With even 10 people, there's more room for diversity within the group, meaning that there can be more advanced tactics at play. To me, a raid without the advanced tactics is simply a dungeon.

That's my distinction anyway.
    Auryn likes this.
  13. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

No need to apologize. I'd gladly add it, but I don't seem to be able to edit the poll. Maybe Zap can?
  14. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

From my understanding, a raid is generally at least the size of two normal "groups". If you look at games that have raid content for less than 10, most notably SWTOR with 8, their group size is only 4. Carbine has said that their groups are expected to be 5 people, so naturally 10 would be the cutoff point for raid content.
  15. JarNod

I do realize that there is a distinction, but the way people have been talking about preference, maybe some people prefer to do 5 man dungeons only when they hit max level. So why make the cutoff at 10?
  16. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

Why not have 11, or 12, or 18, or 100 specifically? The point is to assess approximate preferred size, not exact. Furthermore, the numbers in the poll are representative of the standards set by MMOs for raid content.
  17. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

I prefer 40 mans, I just feel like developers can do more with them. It also allows for more things to happen within an encounter. I remember back in vanilla wow there was a boss called razorgore(I think).

Anyways, in this fight there were huge waves of mobs spawning from 4 corners of the room. You then had to kite some of them, cc some of them, and then kill some of them. Doing all this, while someone controlled the dragon with an orb. This person then killed all of the eggs in the room. You also had to protect this person from being hit from all the mobs or the mind control would be lost. After all that was over you had to kill the dragon you were mind controlling.

Something like this couldn't really exist in a smaller sized group, unless it was scaled down with less eggs to kill, and less mobs coming from the sides. The fight wouldn't have seemed as cool without the big numbers.
  18. JarNod

I don't think people are entirely understanding my point, so I will make a different thread about it later. I don't want to sidetrack from this one.
  19. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Haha.. I remember that :D
    Draogon likes this.
  20. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

i cant pick any of those! it (for me) The loot system is they key for me. If they can take the awesomeness that raiding is, and remove the zero-sum nature, then I think raiding will be something that more ppl are willing to go do. So i suppose my answer would be "any size, as long as the loot system isnt the normal zero-sum <REDACTED> that causes drama"