1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Preordering then canceling?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Weeablade, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Weeablade

Weeablade New Cupcake

I've been on and off the fence about Wildstar. I'm aware there'll supposedly be an open-beta somewhere in May, but does the preorder charge immediately? Or does it wait 'til release to charge me, in that I could put the money down to get into preorderer beta weekends, then if I was inclined, cancel the preorder without losing money?
  2. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I'm pretty sure that the preorder charges immediately. You could contact wildstar support about getting a refund, but I'm not sure if they'd give it to you.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

There will be an open beta just to combat this sort of behavior. All this does is cost people money. STOP IT FFS.
    Lsya, Narrack and GoatSlayrr like this.
  4. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

Not only is there the open beta, they've been giving away keys by the truck load every time they do a weekend pre-order beta. There is ample opportunity for you to try out the game before you give anyone any money, so don't be an assclown and waste the CS people's time by pre-ordering if you don't want it.
    Sonntam and Kataryna like this.
  5. Fiarre Catcher

Fiarre Catcher New Cupcake

Bah.. I think I smell a troll .. Immature idea Weeablade .......... /many backspaces to clear rant that I just typed ...
    Kataryna likes this.
  6. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I have not pre-ordered yet, and already played one weekend. Waiting for open beta to see the new patch and I'll pre-order then if some of the critical issues (to me) are fixed.

Exercise a little patience. Pre-ordering now, or 1 day before headstart will be the same thing. You'll still get in headstart.
  7. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

You can also drop 5 dollars at your local gamespot for a preorder then cancel if necessary. If you preorder online, you're going to have to pay it all upfront.
  8. Fengor

Fengor New Cupcake

There have been a few posts about refunds on the WildStar official forums, and there was one guy talking about how cancelling your pre-order would result in Carbine having to close your entire NCSoft account, and banning the e-mail associated with it from opening another one.

Sounded pretty hardcore, if a little heavy-handed on the part of NCSoft, so I suppose pre-order only if you're sure you want to sink some time into the game come launch; if you have reservations then wait until September to give the game time to work out the launch hiccups.
  9. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

Very well said. :)
    Livnthedream likes this.
  10. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Lots of hate for a guy who's doing something completely within his legal rights. NC soft and Carbine have a return/exchange policy in place for exactly this sort of thing (in one form or another). It's literally someone's job, where they get paid a real salary with real benefits, to deal with this kind of stuff.

Everyone getting mad because the OP wants to buy a product and return it if he finds it unsatisfactory?

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was America

SilentJ likes this.
  11. Livnthedream

Yeah not so much no. And its "Murica" is exactly the wrong attitude to have. Its a large part of why we can't have nice things.
  12. Livnthedream

I mean seriously Fishsticks, if "pre order and cancel" was intended use, then why are they making posts like this on their forums?

Kataryna likes this.
  13. Fishsticks

:rolleyes:

My point is, people are acting like the OP is going to bankrupt NCsoft with all the havoc hes causing by returning a pre-order for a game he decides he doesn't want. This is a multi-million dollar company (one that helped publish the likes of Tabula Rasa mind you), I'm sure they can handle some returns.
  14. Livnthedream

Implying that the cost is handled by NcSoft and isn't shared by Carbine. Do you not remember the .1 on Metacritic screwing Obsidian out of a million dollar bonus? Will it bankrupt them? Certainly not. Is it yet more unneeded overhead that gets passed onto the consumer because said consumer is a lazy git? Most certainly. And that is just assuming that its only effecting the publisher/consumer and not the middlemen. At best its a case of just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    Fiarre Catcher likes this.
  15. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Fishsticks likes this.
  16. Fishsticks

I'm not implying the cost is only undertaken by NCSoft, I'm sure Carbine incurs some too - I can't say I particularly care though. Stop acting like this is the downfall of everything that's good and holy in society. Carbine is a business, one which is designed to undertake all the costs typically associated with the industry in which it operates, of which these would most certainly fall. Additionally, Carbine/NCSoft/Any major business couldn't give two <REDACTED>s about the consumers as long as they get paid. Get off your high horse.

[​IMG]
  17. Livnthedream

Again, not so much no. You do realize that they don't actually have to even accept returns right? That people abusing such things get them taken away? The worst are charge backs, which several CC companies have already threatened to remove because its stupidly expensive for them.

Also, I call absolute bull<REDACTED> on your statement of them not caring. If they didn't care then there wouldn't be devs hanging out in irc in their off hours, nor posting on these forums at midnight and later their time.
    Kataryna likes this.
  18. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

The ignore function on this site works extremely well.
    Well done Zap & Co.
  19. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

who are you ignoring?

on topic

Honestly I agree with livin here and the people telling op to look in the beta weekends and not buying the game and then wanting a refund before the game is even released its costs the both the developer and publisher money for dumb things like that. Its understandable if you are on the fence about it which is why your first option is to get into the weekend and/or open beta. They give out plenty keys and with the preorders now its should be easier to get your hands on a key.

Buying the game now should be your last option if you just want to test the waters and decide if you actually want to buy the game. Thats my two cents not hating or anything but yeah its waste of resources doing things like what the op is saying.
    Kataryna likes this.
  20. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I know right? It's hard to tell sometimes... :confused: Especially when Livin's involved...

The OP seem to assume in his questions that others are "on board" with his method, which I think is the problem here. Now the method itself, if he did it, he did it, no biggie. But the fact that he's asking us about it as if everyone ALREADY and/or SHOULD be agreeing with him, means that the ball is in our court now. If you don't agree, speak up, else it's speaker rule, so to speak. I agree we should be nice about it but, the act of raising concerns here is legitimate.

Most if not all of us have pirated something in our lives, be it a song or a software. And no one would chastise anyone about it. But that doesn't mean we can go out to Best Buy and ask "hey do you know where can I download free music". Is the downloading of free music legal? Yeah, you can pull out the whole freedom and rights argument again, but come on, we all know what's going on. Which is fine by me mind you, this is a dog-eat-dog world, you do what's best for you in the best way that you can do it, gaming the system if you so incline. But I'm just saying, sometimes the presentation by itself is aggressive or uncomfortable to the audience, being careful around how you say things shows consideration of others.

Of course we know what happens in real life, the good and the ugly. That doesn't mean we like whatever we see. And that's good, that makes us human, the fact that we have things that we like and things we don't like. That's where we get high horses, from CARING about something. I agree that we shouldn't go over board, but a world where no one has any high horse to ride on is not a world that I personally want to live in, so I stand by the longetivity of (reasonable) high horses with all my honest support. You know. You can starve them a little, you can limit their numbers, you can have cowboys herding them, but you can't kill them off. Who's gonna eat up all the weeds once all the horses are gone.

Lastly, Carbine is a business yes. But they're also people, developers, artists. As a business, yes everything should be limited and instructed solely on principals and written rules, and everything that's allowed, is allowed. In business we take a mechanical and cold view on things and shrug off the other fluffy stuff. But just because apple belongs to the category of "red things" doesn't mean it is excluded from the category "fruit" --- the fluffy stuff is here and is important. This second layer (people, developers, artists) is where the disagreement comes from --- we think it's not nice to PURPOSELY do this to Carbine PEOPLE, that's it.