1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Problem with Faction Presentation

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Quantum Wizard, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

I never said it was evil the Dominion waged war on the Granok?

And yeah the Mechari spoke and the Granok listened, but that doesn't change what the Granok see them as, we don't know exactly what they see them as, and we don't know at exactly what point the Granok destroyed the Mechari nor do we know the specifics of why.
    So there is literally no reason to be pointing fingers and being all ''but the Granok started it!!''

Do we know what sort of wildlife is on the Granok planet? if there are ''fleshy'' animals around who is to say that isn't what they are used to? perhaps not in the figure of a human, but without knowing what they share the planet with or how far advanced the Granok where how can you say what they know and what they don't?

Oh by the way Rachel, i just love your neutral attitude here, can't you feel how neutral you are being by pointing the finger?
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oke so you can't seem to see that he isn't the Emperor after he was saying things like:
    ''It apears it's up to me to tell you......about the Dominion''

''Hello.......again, Despite my personal feelings on the matter, it seems I will be forced to tell you about.....them''

An Emperor with absolute power, does not get ''forced'' to do anything......kinda your basic deductive skills?
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

Before this goes any further, I want to say something that I didn't mention in my last post.

I'm not a roleplayer, I don't belong to a roleplaying guild and none of my mates are roleplayers. This thread is about the presentation of the factions. That presentation is subject to the viewer's perspective and amount of information.

The average MMO player who is simply looking for the next fix, the next big PvP or Raiding game. They don't go reading all the lore that is handed out snippets of dev posts. They don't even bother reading the wikis that people spend so much time and effort putting together so that they don't have to read the dev posts.

I browsed the wiki, read some lore posts, mostly about the Exiles formation and how the Aurin joined them, as I found that interesting. And I enjoy backstory as much as the next sci-fi/fantasy geek. But I am betting that I know more than most players who are going to be going into the game. As would the rest of the players who spend their time on a forum about a game that isn't even out yet, lol.

So presentation of factions, to those that only watch the youtube videos and articles on Massively or Gamebreaker or where ever - those guys see Exiles = Good and Dominion = Bad.

If the devs at Carbine want those people (ie. the majority of players) to view the factions as gray before the game comes out and they get a chance to play through the storylines, then they need to do some videos on that.

The emperor of a fictional empire in a video game can be forced to do anything... by the devs, lol.
    Extatica and Evgen88 like this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

But as I said both factions are evil/good (this is my point).

I just don't see why people don't see the evil deeds done of the Exiles aswell. Seems like they can only focus on the bad things done by the Dominion....hecne why i'm pointing out the Exiles evil deeds.

I feel people are looking too hard to good-vs-evil all the tme hence missing key-elements that it is way more ''gray'' then people think. Just because they are looking for good-vs-evil doesn't mean it's there.
    Rafael Dellamora likes this.
  5. Evgen88

Evgen88 Cupcake-About-Town

I don't know where my post about the Mechari diplomat went . . . :/

But who send a Mechari:
    for diplomacy? I'm pretty sure the Dominion was being bad there too :p
  6. Skippy

Exile deffinately aren't innocent by any stretch, i see the game as very gray but i am partial toward Exiles, simply because i enjoy playing or supporting the underdog, and that's what the Exiles are to me.

Also yeah they smashed him after he asked them to swear eternal loyalty, but the specifics are what i am talking about. How did he ask them? was there an ultimatum or not? did the Granok get told if they didn't join they would be destroyed or left? Was the Mechari using a stand-over attitude looking down on them or was he approaching them as equals?

There are a LOT of variables, and i would assume the Granok would need a reason to smash this Mechari, maybe it was as simple as that was their answer to the dominion, maybe there was more to it. So as i said pointing fingers doesn't really get us anywhere.
    Extatica likes this.
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The next part I quoted from you made me giggle a bit ;)
    I'll quote my previously posts:

As I said it's all up to your own perception of the video's/lore and whatever you read/see.
    But I began commenting because someone said the Exiles were ''clear-cut good'' which even in the video's shows they aren't.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I can't talk to you since we agree :p

More variables:
    Did the Granok only kill the Mechari?
    Or were there more people with the Mechari?
    What did they do after they smashed him?
    What would happen if they said, no?

It all began because the OP said:
    It's not clear-cut!! Even in the video's it's not!
    And if you read the lore then you see it's even further away form the truth ;)
  9. Skippy

Yeah that i don't agree with, the Exiles are far from good, The humans are Rebels, Granok are mercenaries who kill for cash, Aurin are well.... they are probably the closest to the ''good'' side in the Exiles And the Mordesh? well they are toying with forbidden alchemical stuff.

Mostly far from good, but the one thing i think is very clear in the lore is the Exiles are the underdogs in the fight.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Did the Granok only kill the Mechari?
    Or did the Mechari get aggressive to the Granok and cop a face full of humble pie?
    Or were there more people with the Mechari?
    What did they do after they smashed him?
    Teabagged him?Good question though.
    Mayby they put him on a pole, like Vlad the Impaler did IRL, that would be reason enough for a war in my opinion.
    What would happen if they said, no?
    Very good question that may very well be the reason they killed him?
    Mayby...in-game lore = needed here... :(
  11. Skippy

12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

13. Kyro

Kyro Cupcake

I think we need to see more lore from in-game before we really can tell, and also there's more Exile lore than Dominion lore so far, so that might affect things. I do agree with Skippy about Exile being the underdogs from the look of things right now, but then again we don't know if they have any tricks up their sleeve either.

Also, not going to quote that colorful box, as I'm afraid that'll send double rainbows all across the sk... forums.
  14. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

I like playing the underdog :D
  15. Kyro

Kyro Cupcake

Personally, I'm going with Dominion, not because I endorse their methods or anything, but because they seem more interesting to me personally so far. Also, Chua.

Can definitely see the attraction of being underdog, though. :)
    Anthony Pemberton likes this.
  16. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

I do not understand much dilemma. Good and evil are subjective concepts only and depend only on the observer. Given that we are at war, acts of the opposite faction will always be considered EVIL because they are opposed to our idea of justice

well with the exception of Chuas... they just do anything for fun like The Joker xDD
  17. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

So you don't deny that they've got no reason to think the Mechari AREN'T people, and that murdering them was wrong but the Granok somehow shouldn't be held accountable for killing a government official in the course of his (or her) duties...

But -I'm- the biased one?

Jeesh. Yeah. I'm taking up the middle ground and pointing out where an Exile race created an international incident that lead to a war. They murdered ambassadors and there was hell to pay for it. You're doing everything in your power to dismiss that murder as irrelevant, even going so far as to dehumanize the people who were killed. This is the kind of anti-Dominion bias I've been referring to. Where even acknowledging that the Granok KILLED people is met with victim blaming and accusations of bias.

If someone says "Hey. I'm just saying you might get your butt kicked if you don't work with the local thugs" it doesn't give you the right to murder that person. I'm not saying the war that followed wasn't horrific or tragic. I'm not saying the Dominion don't do bad things. I'm saying that there was cause for war in the murder of ambassadors.

If anyone is showing their bias, here, it's you, Skippy. By not even acknowledging that the Granok did something wrong when they killed those diplomats you're whitewashing over their crimes in an effort to ensure no "Shades of Grey" darken your perfectly painted Exiles. I'm not saying the Dominion has never done anything wrong, only pointing out what they've done right or where the Exiles have done wrong to illustrate those grey areas you and other anti-dominion posters are whitewashing.

-Rachel-
    Mimsy likes this.
  18. Skippy

You obviously did not read anything Extatica and i discussed then? Stuff like this.

It seems you are on a war path of your own and incredibly stubborn about things, rather than reading a little bit you would rather throw accusations at me? Real mature.

Extatica and i disagreed somewhat, we discussed things and came to a level ground where we agreed, with you it's like bashing your head in to a brick wall, actually that sounds more fun than you are.
  19. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Then put me on ignore, Skippy. I'm sorry I didn't go over your posts with Exactica to find out if she expressed my opinion for me and you found a happy middle ground. I checked my alerts and responded to the post you quoted me in.

I'm tired of you attacking me, though. Ad hominem is bad, m'kay?

-Rachel-
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oke just to make things clear, I know i'm the least straighest guy you'll ever meet ;) but i'm still a boy :p

Comon guys, lighten up a bit :D