1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Problem with Faction Presentation

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Quantum Wizard, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

You mean they weren't?
  2. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

From an external viewpoint independent of personal involvement? Very Possibly. From a Historical viewpoint their actions are considered just. The winner is the one who gets to rewrite history.

-Rachel-
    Apostate likes this.
  3. Kyro

Kyro Cupcake

I'd say I agree in that as far as videos are concerned they play up the Dominions less than grey side quite a bit -- for laughs. I'm not sure I'd call them oppressive evil nor the Exile righteous quite yet -- rather emotionally charged words there, as I maintain we have too little information and as there are indications strewn across the written lore tidbits out so far that things are not quite that clear-cut.

They certainly seem to operate on a different morality scale than we do, though.
  4. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

It will always be good vs bad, mainly because it seems that is part of Carbine's marketing.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Guess we've read different articles......cause in the articles i've read they say: That they are trying to make both party's seem like they do good and bad things.

In-game this will be even more emphasized, then in the video's (so we can expect evil things from the Exiles aswell).

So where did you read it was their marketing to make it good vs bad? Source? (Good luck trying to find it :p)
  6. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

I now welcome Cupcake Hoody to the stand *LOUD APPLAUDING AND SCREAMING OF "I LOVE YOU HOOODY!!!"* *As Hoody goes behind the podium he waves his hands for everyone to settle down* Thank you my fellow members, thank you... *as the crowd died down with their chanting of their love of Hoody, he clears his throat and taps his notes on the podium, he lowers his mouth to the microphone* ..... MORDESH ARE BETTER THAN CHUA WOOOOOOOOH!!!!!.... Thank you. *walks away calmly as the crowd roars with agreement*
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

[​IMG]

Just talk to me! Your dream is over, and i'm more awesome anyway ;)
    Hoody likes this.
  8. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Extatica likes this.
  9. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry, actions speak louder than words, and the Dominion were presented as far darker well before I read anything about either side being the "good guys" or the "bad guys". Even if you just read up on the lore, it is fairly obvious that one side is like 80% evil and the other is 80% good :D. Haven't seen anyone argue the lore well enough for the Domnion to get them even at 50% :p.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You do know that post was abuot him saying that it's Carbines marketing making it good vs evil.
    While Carbine has said they want to give them both off as ''gray''.

Hence my reaction.

I personally see it 45% evil for Dominion 45% evil for Exiles, where is the last 10% you say?
    10% Cockyness for Dominion, don't be confused since it's NOT evil :p (read every single post if you want to know why).

Also Neither have any1 given me Lore facts that will bring the Exiles to even above the 75% good.
  11. Eluldor

Haha coming from someone most adamant about the Chua, the most chaotic evil race presented to play, I'd be hard pressed to influence any percentage you hold. Even if I was to argue the point, you'd probably pull a Chua shenanigan on me :). Best to leave it be haha.

Side note, my 80% Evil for the Dominion would be 20% good(ish), while the Exiles would be roughly the opposite. I think your comparison stated them both grouped under a single 100%.
  12. Steampunkette

Honestly? I think the Chua are closer to Chaotic Neutral with a violent streak. Malicious pranks rather than outright psychopathy. After all, Malvolio did say "Oh, not again..." when he got drink-bombed. That indicates that it's happened before, and he survived, and will probably have it happen again later.

[​IMG]

-Rachel-
  13. Eluldor

The normal Chua pranks would be like that. They even pulled a non-lethal prank against the Mechari, on their first encounter. If we take a look at Mondo Zax though, that guy is just nuts. Plus, Extatica's signature Chua with a maniacal grin featuring fire and skeletons doesn't help them lift above chaotic evil :laugh:
    Extatica likes this.
  14. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

But there are only so few ''normal'' Chua's in our ranks :p
    The rest.....well:
    Jimbob767 likes this.
  15. Jimbob767

Jimbob767 New Cupcake

IMO Exiles only exist because Dominion got evil with power after the exiles chose them, the Exiles come across as the good guys because they are easier to sympathies with... home planet destroyed, ah no worries lets team up and fight against the greater force. But that's just me... and I'll be rolling a Granok so I am bound to be bias ;).

Mindless destruction....evil no? :p
  16. Eluldor

Haha "normal" and "chua" are words describing pranks in that sentence. So I'm more with you on Chua representation, but their pranks seem to be more for laughs, and lack of respect, than for burning the world!
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

SSSTTTT, don't tell anyone...but the Chua's in the video....well those were the ''normal'' ones, and they are still in brainwas....training! to become REAL chua's. But SSSSTTT :speechless:
    Eluldor and Jimbob767 like this.
  18. Evgen88

Evgen88 Cupcake-About-Town

I'm just saying the Dominion are shown to be the bad guys, the Empire, bad doesn't mean totally evil, not talking Legions of Hell vs Angels. They are at war, so both sides are obviously doing a lot of killing. And the Dominion are the government and law, but it's obvious they can be oppressive.
    Looking at the races on each side, humans aside, the Dominion are all bad. Assassin Robots, violent beastmen, and destructive rodents. The Exiles have nature lovers . . . . and the Granok and Mordesh . . . so admittedly, all black vs light grey . . . . bad guys and good guys :p
  19. Baconwich

Baconwich Cupcake

I can't believe we've made it four pages off and on discussing the assassination of the Mechari "diplomat" without drawing a comparison to Leonidas and his 300 Spartans: a messenger sent by the God Emperor Xerxes, all but demanding that the Spartans bend the knee and worship Xerxes, with no alternative other than extermination offered. The messenger makes it very clear that NOBODY would ever kill a messenger simply for doing his duty, but Leonidas counters by telling him that in Sparta, all men are accountable for their own words.

I don't think the Granok were ever willing to fall in line and become loyal subjects of the Dominion, which leaves them with only one alternative: war. That might be the reason the Dominion sent a Mechari ambassador in the first place: they knew the Granok would be unwilling to compromise, but might bend with a show of strength. Obviously they were unimpressed.

The way I see it is that the Dominion was intent on conquering the Granok regardless of whether or not they agreed to it, and sending the ambassador down was only a formality before the inevitable conflict. The problem with the Granok is that they don't know when to quit, and are too honourable to cheat, and they were nearly wiped out because of it.

----------------------------------------

And don't even get me started on the retaliation against the Aurin for sheltering the Exiles. "They should have known what the consequences would be" nothing, the Exiles were supposedly their first contact with any race from outside of their planet. Being a kind people, of course they're going to offer shelter to the people running away from an oppressive regime that just wants to destroy them. They've never met the Dominion before, and weren't even given a chance before the Emperor ordered extermination.

----------------------------------------

Morally speaking, I choose to side with the people who are running, who just want to be free, over the people who are actively seeking them out to destroy them over a difference in opinion. Sure, maybe some of the things the Exiles *DO* may be morally reprehensible, but overall, they've got the moral high ground. They just want to be left alone, and the bullies won't let them be.
  20. Steampunkette

Blah blah blah... Exiles are good. Dominion are evil. Black and White. Only the big bad do big bad things. Rawr.

What Leonidas did was considered barbaric and wrong, even by the standards of the time. If the Aurin expected nothing to happen then that shines a <REDACTED>ty light on the Exiles for not explaining better. Murder when you feel threatened is still murder.

-Rachel-