1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Prone/Crouch/Cover System

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MiZTiiX, Jun 25, 2012.

1. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

I think It'd be cool if there were different stances the player can take to change up the game play. e.g if you prone you have more accuracy or something like that and emit less noise decreasing your aggro rate. Same fore crouching but less effective however you are less vulnerable than proning and emit more noise. A cover system would be cool, Quickly run and cover behind different objects and use your environment to your advantage. Would make PVP more strategic too. Reloading would also add a strategic element to the game and i think it should be taking into consideration for ranged weapons. Also being able to run and vault over objects would be really fun and cool. Finally, just thought i might throw that out there, as of now "dodging" is just jumping to the side, i was thinking it would be cooler if it was a roll like in GW2, or maybe it changed depending on he situation it could be a slide one time, jumping to the side next and a roll the another time :D

UPDATE: *Alot of people argue that cover system would slown down the pace of the game. It is my fault for not expalining it well enough. What i mean by "cover system" is basically if you are behind an object, attacks/ spells will be deflected if the object is strong enough. E.g you can go behind a tree if you're in trouble and shots may protect you however after a while the tree will fall down. I don't mean "you go behind cover and lock onto and object" what i mean is you can crouch behind and object to fully cover yourself. This will be more of a startegic/situational element to the game rather than a full on cover based game.
  2. souper

souper Founding Member

WildStar is shaping up to be a pretty fast paced game from what I've seen. There is lots of movement, dodging, jumping, and even aiming of attacks. Prone and crouching would slow that down considerably and would likely ruin the pacing of the game so I don't see it working here.

Not to mention we've only seen one class that uses guns and he is all about teleporting around the battlefield. Being cautious and silent doesn't seem like it'll benefit him and would be even less useful for the other classes.
    Avecinna likes this.
  3. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

Cover systems suck. Vaulting over things is a cool idea though. Easily accomplished by using the jump button.
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I get this image of Gears of War... clunky combat works in a single player game (think Splinter Cell or Mass Effect) but I want to be able to move freely in an MMO
  5. Tiktak

Yeah I didn't mean the space bar spam of Mass Effect, sorry. I simply meant using the jump mechanics to simply hop over stuff that gets in the way. Would be nice if it -DID- get in the way to!
  6. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

read the update
  7. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

read the update hope it clears things up for you
  8. Tiktak

Yeah that did clear things up. I was thinking you meant something like the Imperial Agent class in SW:TOR or the GoW style...

That sort of 'cover system' you mean is something I'd like to see. It's been implimented in certain encounters in World of Warcraft and worked pretty well. It goes very well with the sound of the combat system in WildStar, using the environment dynamically to effect the combat.

Would be awsome if you could lure some monster attacks to hit parts of the environment to help in combat too...like a creature with a nasty slashing attack...you duck behind a tree just as it uses the attack on you...it cuts the tree down, (that your safely hidden behind, taking no damage) and the tree falls on it, doing some damage...
  9. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

What about good spells/abilities getting blocked by the cover. I mean, LoS technically adds some sort of strategic environment aspect to most games already, but it seems you want a way for someone to crouch behind a crate and get LoS. I could be misunderstanding you though...
  10. Tiktak

I think it's only common sense that if enemy attacks aren't going through the rock I'm hiding behind, that -MY- attacks shouldn't go through it either.
  11. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

Well depending on what you are covering behind and what is being fired at you, the situation would change. E.g if you hide behind a crate and a powerful spell was fired, it would destory the crate like nothing and hit you. If it was a giant crate, it may just shatter it to bits causing a bit of damage or no damage at all.
  12. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

That's a lot of processing power, and opens up the opportunity for griefing by other players as well... Funky idea, but I'd wonder how doable it would be in an MMO setting.
  13. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

Tbh i don't see it as a problem. Technology is evolving and improving. Layered content seems to be alot of processing etc, also having all these massive ship landing, bosses causing havoc in the world along with tonnes of players in combat all seem hard to pull of but its proven to be possible. The sky is the limit.