1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

PvP gear status?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Villain1117, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Villain1117

Villain1117 New Cupcake

I don't remember reading official posts or watching official vids that gave any info about gear systems in PvP. However, there are a lot of speculation view with supposed truth about the tiers or difference in PvP from bgs, arenas, and warplots all having different PvP gear. This concerns me. I think having diff PvP gear with better stats is the worst idea imaginable. I'm all about even playing field. If they were to make gearvtiers totally aesthetic then I'm all about. It nbut more or less stats suck. One its harder to balance and two it gives unfair advantages. Wow PvP has excelled since they took out higher stat PvP gear and nominalized it
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Searching is your friend. Not only has this been confirmed, but there is plenty of evidence that this leads to a much healthier pvp population than the "everyone is equal" that pvper's proclaim to want.
  3. Villain1117

Villain1117 New Cupcake

Ppl who want inequality in PvP are ppl who think they deserve an easier time for being better or having the time to farm rating. Its a farce. Games with best PvP have always been games with equal playing fields. Actually if YOU did a Lil reading you would find that a large percent of ppl actually praise WoWs new even playing field over large gear equivalencies. So yah. Its terrible. Pls take it out.
  4. Migrayne

Migrayne New Cupcake

I'm fairly certain their will be ranked BG's and arena's. If you have better gear and play better you will then be put in matches with better geared and skilled players.

New players with less quality gear and or skill will have a lower ranking and thus compete against similar geared or skilled players.

This rating will help to normalize the gear/skill equation in the BG's.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  5. Livnthedream

This argument is the very same that many make against rng. Such systems engage far more players than what you want because too many players play for different reasons. You clearly play for the competition, many play just for the thrill of killing another player, many play to see their character get stronger over time, many play for the glory (and shame) ie they play to crush. Healthy pvp requires lots of players which is why leveled gear systems are generally better, depending of course on what kind of game you are wanting to make. So while this pvp system may not be to your liking, that simply means its not a good system for you, and you should not play the game.
  6. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

People will cry and eventually all gear will be handed out for free.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It works with the government. Why not game developers?
  8. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

+1 kitten saved
    I knew someone would get it.....Seems that some games are giving in to the cry babies!
  9. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Members without avatars? For shame. If you would like one, here is a link to a thread that contains several WildStar avatars. Credit to Alara for her amazing work.

@Migrayne
    A belated welcome to WildStar Central. Here is a link to the Personal Introductions Forum. You are not required to post there but doing so is a good way to meet some of our friendliest members. Tell Kat i said hi.
  10. Livnthedream

You wish you were Domo!
  11. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

Games with a gear progression in PvP typically suffer from the same ailments.

The matchmaking system only works for as long as there's:
    a. proper catchup
    b. a constant influx of new players (be it new players or new characters - re-rolls of existing players)

The problems with (a) are exemplified as the "mid-season blues" where someone joining the pvp game mid-season (or between gear resets which is the same thing) can never catchup.
    On the flip-side fast catchup devalues the time and effort of the top tiers leading to "why bother" on one or the other side of the spectrum.
    The problems with (b) are exemplified as the "entry-level drought" where the matchmaking system fails to pair up players at similar progression level simply because there are not enough newbies after a previous batch has moved on to higher tiers.
    So they either suffer long queues or the system is forced to relax the matchmaking restrictions in which case they get stomped.
    (on a tangent, this is analogous to the leveling zones becoming wastelands once a game matures, stops growing, and attracting new customers, begins to decline, see CRZ in WoW for example)

I don't have a solution to offer to either problem and I'm not sure equalized pvp like on shooters is the solution but it makes me sympathetic / understanding to those that request it.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  12. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

As confirmed months ago by Bardic -

gear = battlegrounds<arena<warplots - meaning you get best gear from Warplots

there are different ELO rankings for each one - you can only play Arenas and Warplots at Max level (50)

in your ranked ELO brackets you will only be going up against people that are also in that bracket and have access to the SAME gear as you. in level brackets while leveling up (i.e. 1-9, 10-19, etc) you'll be rallyed to the max level of that bracket, though you won't have access to all the spells of that max level for the bracket. So if you're level 5 you'll have stats equal to level 9ish.

all this means - you're not going to be super OP against people in your bracket, it's more about skill than stats at that point.
    Bonezz, Livnthedream and CriSPeH like this.
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

It would seem to me that a good Pvp player, who has the ability/skill to compete and make it all the way to the top ranks and gear, would know that joining mid-season would mean he would not be reaching that lofty goal. It would surprise me that a player like this would actively complain and ask for "catch up gear".

On the flip side, a bad or mediocre player who never makes it into those top ranks and gear, would see no change joining mid-season, as he would still never make it to the top ranks and gear.

Carbine has talked about this situation in the context of raids, saying that guilds may find themselves a tier behind at times, and that's ok.
    Malorak and Kataryna like this.
  14. Villain1117

Villain1117 New Cupcake

You guys keep talking semantics. The idea is as stands. You suck at PvP you suck..... You are good then you excel and get ranks..... The gear obtained has no premise for how good a players skill is so therefore gear differences are IRRELVANT. So there is no reason for it to be different. I reroll and all I don't want to have to grind hours to make the character competitive. That takes the enjoyment out of PvP more than anything.
  15. Livnthedream

For you perhaps, but clearly not for the majority or such systems would not retain better.
  16. Villain1117

Villain1117 New Cupcake

Clearly logic doesn't apply to most ppl.
  17. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

First state what mmo you came from as only WoW did it well and only since the last 2 years. They are taking that model. So far i know there's still two tiers present each season, the former and new gear, their is different color geared for people with a higher ranking. A third tier was a short term test they came back on.

Every other system has things build in to make it hard for people to get entry to PvP due to constant stacking PvP sets.

There's a large difference between each iteration of the system, so no pvp gear by default isn't "bad" if done right it's the best solution. Nobody but scrubs want raid gear to matter in the PvP scene.

People want to also progress in the game as a whole, what is why there should be progression in gear, no gear progression leads to GW2 scenarios where PvP is simply a mini-game completely disconnected pointless and a scene that isn't growing but shrinking.
  18. Livnthedream

Of course not. People are irrational by nature. The key is we are predictably irrational. If you are truly interested I can link you to several sources.
  19. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

There's actually a book titled "Predictably Irrational" that goes in and explains all of those fun human things.

Psychology books, and more specifically books on cognitive bias are one of my favorite subjects to read.
  20. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

You are not really helping your case with all these troll posts.

On topic, I think one thing people are forgetting is the skill aspect of combat for this game. It's not like WoWs combat where gear is the determining factor. A skilled player will be able to take down an unskilled player in better gear simply for the fact that the unskilled player wont be able to land hits on the skilled one. At equal skill level, yes, gear will probably be the determining factor there, but the oposite is not true. Gear will not make a bad PvPer a good PvPer.
    Ianpact likes this.