1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

PvP players! What are you worried about?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by HappinessFactory, Oct 10, 2013.

1. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

Wait, where was the news that warplots will be ranked? All I was hearing so far is, that there will be a matchmaking system to group equally geared players together.

Would love to see some source for this if someone has it.

I can't imagine that people will organize themselves too much for 40 vs 40 warplots. From previous games i guess that this will be mostly a hotjoin platform. My guess will be that organized PvP will be mostly reduced to arenas. I personally aim for 2's and 3on3...
  2. Pocketz

Pocketz Cupcake-About-Town

It has a cool down I think, it also costs in game money to use it. (from what I've seen)
    For some players its been grayed out, because they don't have enough money.

I think its fair, I saw another "open world pvp" Video, where Player A died, and decided to instant use it to kill player B who was at low health (due to the previous battle they had). Then player B used it as well and killed player A again. This can go on forever, unless someone chooses to use the real GY resser or w/e.
    I would find this more fun as you can avenge yourself, instead of corpse running and finding that the person who killed you has run away.

And since you can choose to go to your GY to res, you dont have to worry about being camped.

It didnt seem like the cost of this was too high anyways.
  3. Pocketz

Here's a quote from the Devs:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/1a88i2/we_are_the_combat_and_pvp_teams_working_on/c8v0t1u

4. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

5. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I'm both filled with glee and worried that CC might be just too crazy to keep track of properly in intense fights. We can only see!
  6. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

The same thing that causes issues in all other mmos out there - the fact that PVP is affected by PVE, and vice versa - as long as the two aspects share skills/talents - there will always be a negative impact on PVP due to balancing PVE.

I honestly don't think it's physically possible to balance the two without splitting them in some way - be it dedicated talent trees affecting individual abilities or some other solution.

Companies seem to take the path of seemingly least resistance that only creates issues along the way. It affects every aspect, be it healing, cc or dps.

Either PVE or PVP will suffer, and since the main focus of any mmorpg is PVE, well....

I'm not a massive pvper myself, but don't take pleasure in seeing a game aspect that other people enjoy crippled because of my own focus on something else.

I find it really curious people seem to follow a certain design pattern without maybe trying to implement some sort of solution to the ongoing problem that's affecting games all around rendering pvping in mmos somewhat frustrating and hardly worth the hassle.
  7. Pocketz

This might ease your concerns:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/1a88i2/we_are_the_combat_and_pvp_teams_working_on/c8v0ssv

I shared your concern until I read this, and I feel more hopeful now when it comes to balancing both aspects of the game.
    Karly likes this.
  8. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

I remember reading that, cheers for reminder link, but 'Bob' makes me nervous in it's own way lol. Quite possibly because we didn't get properly acquainted yet ;)

I did not remember the CC bit though, doh - does sound like a solid solution :)
  9. SisterSin

SisterSin Cupcake

I agree
  10. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

The question still is the reward structure of Warplots. If the rewards are solely rating based, then you will have the bottom fall out of Warplots as those low-rated teams will not be getting the rewards and organizing 40 people will not be worth it. This is different than 40-man raiding as even a lower-end raid group can make progress based on repetition and slow gear acquisition.
  11. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Excellent post. Long-range aiming only gives Stalkers a clear advantage because of stealth. Melee will have to aim their gap closers. While ranged might have to do more long-range aiming, missing long-range will be more detrimental to melee. Melee will still have to predict the movement and skill usage of their ranged target.

One must also look at the relationship in a group situation. Ranged are much easier to support/heal than melee because you do not have to put yourself in a compromising position. Additionally, ranged are far superior in larger scale PVP, so Warplot design can have a big impact on ranged/melee balance.
  12. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

Melee are going to almost certainly have multiple gap closers, interrupt armor, stuns, and slows, as well as burst damage.

The balance between melee and ranged (according to Xlug's post) is going to really depend on how many of these slows, stuns, and gap closers (leaps and/or pulls) melee classes get (meaning "Medic" and Warrior, Stalker has stealth..) and how easy they are to connect.

It's much easier to time and land one gap closer+stun spell and follow it up with a ton of burst damage than it is to land five consecutive ranged DPS attacks for the same damage, the melee just has to be smart and make sure he/she doesn't miss.
    If melee gap closers, stuns, slows, etc are all fairly easy to land, say, easier to land but shorter range than most ranged attacks, melee is probably going to be extremely good in Wildstar, since all classes have sprint and dodge. From my experience with MMOs and MOBAs, CCs are usually the easiest spells to land. And that's really what's going to tip the melee/ranged balance scale aside from flat out numbers balancing.
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Not sure what you mean here, if a lower end raid group is not very good and they can only kill the first 2 bosses of a raid, then how are they different from the low ranked warplot team who are not very good and are only able to rise 2 ranks because of that?
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It's going to be fun either way. Because of our current class options, I'll probably end up playing a ranged class because the current two melee just don't interest me despite how much I enjoy close combat. Medic is still a possibility too.
  15. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

medic might be melee . im guessing it will be cause of the weapons they use.
  16. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Because even a low-end raid can progress and kill the next boss by farming gear from the bosses they can kill and repetition of the basic fight mechanics. The only way a low-end Warparty will be able to progress is if they get better than those around them, which also requires those around them to keep playing. No matter how many times you kill those first few bosses, they keep coming back for more to allow you to keep gearing and thus making the later bosses easier. Repeatedly wiping to a boss is not as bad of an experience as losing repeatedly in PVP. It also depends on the gear difference between the other options for PVP and the amount of work that will be required to keep the Warplot up.
  17. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

In terms of skilled players and the dodge mechanic, it is harder to land 1 gap closer/CC, because the ranged can save their dodge for that purpose. Melee cannot use dodge on the multiple damage abilities that ranged is hitting them with, they cannot use dodge to gap close as that would leave them vulnerable to CC, and any additional juking will further delay them from reaching the target.
  18. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

ok then I guess we just see it differently, the first few bosses only drop certain gear items so once those 2 or 3 slots are filled then thats it...I have seen many guilds in the classic days not be able to continue past a certain boss no matter how many times they killed the first few...I mean there was always the famous guilds who were 3/9 and 2/5 for BT and Hyjal because they were just bad, didn't matter how many times they tried the next boss, so it seems very similar to Warplot ranking imo.
  19. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Except that if those 2/8 guilds just stop participating altogether, it does not make the task of progressing any harder for the other 2/8 guilds. Where in Warplots, it will now put the remaining 2/8 more often against a 3/8 team.
  20. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

If the ranged saves their dodge, the Melee can absolutely use their dodge to quickly gapclose. Dodges are pretty much gapclosers since they move you forward quickly, and all they have to do is use interrupt armor to avoid CC. Unless the ranged dodges back, it accomplishes the same exact thing as using a gap closer (gap closers probably don't make you immune to CC either, I don't see where you're getting "Dodge makes you vulnerable to CC, but gap closer skills don't".)