1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Question about Settler Path

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Deimos, May 23, 2013.

1. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

So I saw a video where a bit of the settler path was shown, however I was slightly worried about it. Compared to the Scientist Path the Settler seemed a lot more time consuming, a less of a path that can be done while you do quests.

I also wasn't sure whether you get anything personally like the scientist which has a log of what you inspect etc, does the settler path have anything similar or is it outward looking in the form of building quest hubs and flight paths etc?
  2. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

As someone who is now 100% dedicated to being a Settler, this is my understanding from all the info that has been presented.

Bearing in mind that each Path has it's own play style, you are correct, it does seem like you spend a lot of time in one place. But that's entirely up to you. You WILL encounter things out in the world such as small outposts you can build up near Harder areas of a zone. There is still plenty of stuff we don't know about the abilities you can use anywhere other than the fact that you can buff people with Campfires.

But the main focus seems to be a social playstyle that will have you sitting in town, literally mending fences and building up/maintaining the Infrastructure. Of course, if you just want to contribute a little and then move on to your questing adventures you can still do that.

The best way to describe the settler path is to say it's kind of a fusion between the Crafter and Entertainer classes from Star Wars Galaxies. You spend most of your time in town getting to know people and crafting things for people or giving them buffs to help them on their adventure. If this doesn't sound like fun to you, then I highly suggest taking another Path.

As for the comparison to Scientist, the reason Scientists have that log is because it is a playstyle aimed at people who are really into Lore and story. So of course there's a written record for them to peruse at their leisure. Of course there are apparently plenty of items and titles you get along the leveling progression for each Path, but each one is going to play very differently.
    Rumze likes this.
  3. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

One of my biggest concerns with the settler and player housing for that matter is that they have said they'll be around the world (settler of course) but, with housing- and yes I know they float in the sky. Won't there be a huge risk of clutter or space being taken up? I have fears that with a huge amount of settlers in the area (especially during launch) there will be a huge dog pile on area taken up and if it prevents walking it could be potentially abuse able. For housing I'm guessing server sizes get pretty high (as standard MMO) and with all those houses floating around what is to guarantee that joe smoe gets a spot after he joins an older server?
  4. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Housing is probably going to be instanced or put into neighbourhood instances.
    It's separate for settler stuff .

Edit : what ruff said.
  5. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Housing is instanced. That means they exist on a completely separate plane from the open-world. Protostar never runs out of land, and your computer will never spontaneously combust/explode fantastically from trying to load several, player-owned houses in the sky alongside yours. The ones you see in the background are just fake houses for flavour.

There may be neighbourhood features in the future, though.
    Rumze likes this.
  6. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Ah- I was never aware that they stated housing to be instanced (maybe I missed it in a video or text document I read... So entirely my bad.) Though the question I still have a concern with is the massive potential for extreme clutter from a large amount of settlers. This can be seen easily in games like Guild Wars 2 where throwing down a banner here and there by 50 different people with cooking pots and so forth gets to be overwhelming and environmentally destructive.
  7. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Buildings degrade and it gets harder to build more high end stuff unless you have more settlers.

There is a lot of new info on settlers out on the forums . Have a look around :)
  8. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

More Settlers doesn't mean spamming low-level builds. It means there's a very good chance we'll have a server-wide effort to build a personal Xanadu in each zone.

Settlers get much, much, MUCH more XP by working together and contributing to larger, more powerful projects. If everyone were just plunking down their own campfires, most would not get XP, and the ones who did would have a pitiful and painful amount than if they piled all their resources and made ourselves a giant statue of her highness Everstar, or something.

Edit: Generally speaking, Settlers are encouraged to work with other Settlers. They are, after all, the Social Path. A Solo Settler will never get anything serious done, due to a lack of resources or hands to do the constructing. There's also the problem of maintaining said buildings with the budget of one person.

By assisting your fellow Settlers, you relieve a burden on yourself and others. You can pave the way for serious, epic projects.

TL;DR: Settlers run on the power of FRIENDSHIP! A Solo Settler is the worst way to play one, unless you literally are the only Settler on the server.
  9. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Not sure how it can be more time consuming then running a marathon or reading a lot of text and solving puzzles. I hope they got it covered though, I can see why you would be concerned. I think settlers are less about running about and more grounded to specific areas minus the world quests that everyone has to do. They will probably be settling (excuse the pun) somewhere in some remote area around the official quest hubs building stuff, while say explorer will be everywhere running about jumping, double jumping, sprinting and jumping some more. Soldiers will be *yawn* whacking a mole and summoning big stuff I guess.

But I guess we don't know much more except for what the video showed us, can't wait for more info, to be honest, this is the most appealing thing about this game and the most innovating feature I've seen in an MMO to date. Let's hope they do this right!:sneaky:
  10. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I'd like to add to this that from what I've seen from videos, building things don't actually require your to "build" them yourself. It's kind of like you just set what you wanna build, where you want, then it goes on by itself. So it's possible to plunk down something, go do a quest, then come back later and maintain it. Other Settlers can probably add resources or something to speed up the building process, you'd still be getting path exp as long as someone uses what you've made, so you're not tied down in a hub. I could be wrong of course.