1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Questions About WildStar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zap-Robo, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

All,

Thought I'd start a thread for those of us who don't have luck with the Wildstar Q&A's or can't make it to conventions yet still have burning questions!

For myself...

• What server architecture is WildStar planned to have? Multiple servers? (see most MMO's) Single server? (see EVE Online) or Single Server with Multiple Zone Instances? (see ChampsOnline/Star Trek Online)
    • Is a Mac Client expected? (see this one a bit on Twitter too) Perhaps even a Linux client?
    • Will there be Faction-based PvP? If so will it open world, zone-based or arena-based?
    So, what questions are burning a hole in your pocket?
  2. Scrawny

Scrawny Cupcake

Good idea. Here are mine:

• Will there be player housing? Guild housing?
    • Multi-person vehicles?
    • I am also curious about the possible system requirements of the game, might be too early to ask.
    • Can I use my Farmville currency to buy things in-game? (hur hur)

That's it!
  3. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

1. will the holy trinity exist for group encounters?
    2. will we "enjoy" an end-game of raid-gear progression?
    3. is there any form of interplanetary travel or is the game world isolated to the initial planet you start on?
  4. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

When you sign up for the beta there's a page that has system specs and asks if your PC meets them. I assume that's as good as an answer as we can expect at this point.
    Scrawny likes this.
  5. Stephan Langø

Stephan Langø New Cupcake

Is it usual being able to continoue with ones account if you have been playing the beta? Like if your gear is good, you do not want to play it all again. Now thinking about games as WoW, and games like these.
  6. blubox

blubox New Cupcake

This is a big one for me. I have a PC, but prefer my Mac.
  7. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

I have recently made the switch to Mac, so I would love for a Mac client to be available.

If not, I'll just have to run Win on my Mac or buy a new pc dedicated to gaming.
  8. Oabe

Oabe Cupcake-About-Town

Mike may be easier just to buy a PC for gaming :-p....

im wondering how much of an open world it is, and hwo much of a "sand box" is it
  9. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

No, not really. Some Free to Play MMOs may do this if they have an open Beta that moves seamlessly into official launch, but mostly there's a character wipe during a short break in between. Closed (invite only) Betas always have a wipe, as do any games where you must pay first to start playing. Whichever is the case, most companies give notice well in advance.

Keep in mind, the Beta is a test. It is not the official game, and it costs you nothing but time and bandwidth. By participating you are at bare minimum helping the developers check the game's infrastructure. Depending on how much feedback you give, you might also help shape the game a little. Your reward is a first-hand preview of the game and any personal satisfaction you may gain. Getting a headstart of weeks or months over the majority of players is not part of the deal, not to mention grossly unfair.

If you don't like the idea of your investment evaporating, Beta testing is not for you. You'll be better off not signing up and following the reports of those who don't mind. :)
    Brotoi likes this.
  10. Stephan Langø

Thank you.
  11. WarpCode

WarpCode New Cupcake

Probably wont happen as there are programs out there like Parallels that allow you to run windows and thus run windows based games directly on your mac. From a developer stand point its very costly to port a game from windows to a mac/nix based platform and so they generally dont bother as the player base for those platforms is a very finite group.

Now as far as questions go, heres mine:

1. How much customization of our characters can we expect to see? Will there be Costume/Appearance slots?

2. Will WildStar have an achievement system with trophies/titles?

3. If I fell into a coma today and WildStar beta was the only thing that could wake me up from the coma, how many days would I be in a coma?
  12. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Exactly! Might even want to add this to the forum's brand-spanking new FAQ!
  13. souper

souper Founding Member

I'd ask how or even if the path system will tie in with PvP. The paths seem so PvE oriented right now.

Similarly, will PvP feature challenges like PvE does? Like, kill 10 level 1 players in a minute? That would be fun! :p

There are a ton of things I want to know but I'm most excited to learn more about PvP. PvP and dungeons/raiding.
    moneda likes this.
  14. Stephan Langø

For those who like PvE, likes this :)
  15. Brotoi

This is exactly why I do not like PvP. It is sadistic, cowardly, and based on the assumption that using a game's math functions to harass newer/lower level players is somehow heroic.

Sorry. But that is my honest opinion.
    Autumnal and VooDoo like this.
  16. Stephan Langø

th_TRUE_STORY_MEME_ADICTOS_png_scaled500.png
  17. souper

souper Founding Member

Not true story.

Only a very small amount of people actually bother to gank lowbies and only a small amount of games even make it possible. That's just a common exaggeration that people who don't like PvP make all the time to put it down. Its hardly representative of what PvP truly is.

I was just trolling either way. ;)
    Brotoi likes this.
  18. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

From the beta application....
    "P4 system at 3.4 Ghz with 2 GB RAM running Windows XP with integrated audio, using DirectX 9.0 and a 256MB video card at least as fast as a GeForce 8800 and capable of supporting Pixel Shader 2.0 "
    Scrawny, moneda and Brotoi like this.
  19. Stephan Langø

Either way, for those lowbies wich has been pwnd, has a good point.. Ofcourse there is differenses between arena PvP and ganking.
    Not that i think this will be case within WildStar :)
  20. Brotoi

Five years in Lineage II in both Japan and America. Closed and Open beta for both. At first, it was wonderful, then in the third year in Japan and second in America the entire texture of the game began to change. When it got to the point that I could not go fifteen minutes in game without somebody testing out their latest bow or newest attack on one my characters I finally gave up and jumped ship.

It was a beautiful game world with some wonderful socialization systems, but PvP completely killed it for me. Maybe the PvP "heroes" who find one-shot kills on characters ten levels below them are the exception to the rule, but in Lineage II, those "exceptions" became routine occurrences. I will never again spend my money on a game which has open PvP.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be the same. After all, Lineage II is still a profitable franchise so obviously lots of people don't mind. Either way, my money will not go to any game which supports open PvP. I've seen flag systems, opt-out systems, challenge systems, and hundreds of others. None of them hinder griefers in the slightest. The only systems I've found which eliminate griefing are separate servers or PvP specific instances. Put'em all together off someplace where they are easy for the rest of us to ignore and let'em bash on one another to their heart's content. That seems to please almost everyone.

It is my money after all. Why would I spend it on a game I don't enjoy?
    Autumnal likes this.