1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Questions for Carbine Studios?

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Zap-Robo, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

All,

We here at WildStar Central have, in the past, interviewed members of Carbine Studios in our Staff Spotlight series [1, 2, 3] and with our IRC Dev Chat coming up (it's still on the cards - we're working on the details!) we'd like to know what you'd like to know about our Carbine developers and WildStar.

From the abstract (e.g. If you were a reptile, what would you be?), to the specific (e.g. When does the WildStar beta begin?) we're looking for a wide pool of questions to pull from (along with a few of our own!)

The sooner you contribute, the sooner we may be getting some answers for the entire WildStar community!

My best,
    ZR
  2. Mister B

Mister B New Cupcake

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

I'm sure we'd all like to know more about beta timelines and how invites are to be handled. Also, do we WildStar Central faithful get a bump in the line? :)
    Victor Walteros likes this.
  3. Dizzy Psyclops

Dizzy Psyclops New Cupcake

Well played sir, well played.
    Victor Walteros and Nerfer like this.
  4. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

It's been so long I forget everything already discussed. That being the case, some of my questions may already be answered.

1) Can settlers build new buildings and not just fix existing ones?
    2) Will there every be path crossover abilities? i.e. Can a settler ever have any abilities of an explorer?
    3) Will beta be this year? :)
    4) How many people have applied for beta?
    5) Will there be events that change the world and cannot be undone, including terrain and NPCs?
    6) Will there be quests that can change your path?
    7) Will there be quests that cause your character to see things they would not have seen if they answered in a different way?

That's all for now.
  5. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

8) Will crafters be able to repair others equipment when they reach a certain level?
  6. Mister B

Mister B New Cupcake

The latest spawning animation for Metal Maw got me thinking, what is he? Some sort of cybernetically enhanced fish-lizard thing? Did the Esper create him? We've seen a lot about the creating of the model and its animations, but we (or at least I) know next to nothing about his story. That would be a nice bit of info that ties in with things they've already given us.
  7. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

They will have to make up the story I assume since Metal Maw was created on the fly from fan input during the last show they were at, I forget the name of the show.
  8. Nerfer

Nerfer New Cupcake

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before. I don't even know if there's a slight chance for the devers and staff to read this question, either. In fact, I don't know if my question makes any sense at all, but it's been gnawing my guts for the last two months: Is it possible to make WildStar a smartphone-PC cross-platform game, where players can game either from their cell phones or their box?
    Undoubtedly, I'm not talking about porting the whole game to iOS, or anything like that. What I'm thinking of is giving the players the capacity to access certain areas of the game, while on the go. It'd be particularly enticing for the players to be able to micro-manage their character's wealth and career from their cell phones or tablets!
    We MMORPGers know what a big part of MMOs harvesting, building, smithing and trading is. Those crucial tasks, even if cumbersome and boring sometimes, have to be done. And what a better moment to takle them pesky chores while on the bus? Anyway, there ye go... Ye wanted questions, I give ya questions. ;)
    Sonntam likes this.
  9. Zap-Robo

All good questions so far... I have a feeling that if you hang around WSC for a while longer you may get some of the answers you are looking for...

(This may or may not be site-based bias - but you should totally hang around on WSC more)
    herbalz likes this.
  10. Nerfer

Nerfer New Cupcake

Oh I will, ZR. Oh-I-will! =)
  11. Nerfer

Nerfer New Cupcake

Hey Dizzy, ain't that Commander Keen? And yeah, I'm that old. :whistling:
  12. Nerfer

Nerfer New Cupcake

Do you guys have a spanish localization team? If so, is there any way to join/contact them? If not, but you are planning on one, whom should I contact?
    HoseMan likes this.
  13. Zap-Robo

Some questions I'd like to see answered...

1. How many playable species will there be? (we know of 3 named, and one unannounced genderless species)
    2. How many classes will there be? (we know of three announced, and mention of one or more "Stealth" classes)
    3. What's the most layers of content you've put in one area so far?
    4. Since you're dying to talk about crafting.... give us a single (related) word?
    5. On a scale of 1 to Woohoo (or 10, whatever), how happy are you about your custom game engine?
      • On a related note, what is the name of the game engine?
    6. Is the weather we saw in the recent Friends and Family trailer dynamic, or zone specific?
    Keep on posing those questions!
  14. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I'll attempt at a few questions:

1. One of the banes of MMOs recently appears to be that the endgame is too easy. Not that you could just faceroll the bosses, but that to get that amazingly epicly awesome gear was too simple. TBC and especially WotLK did this, and SWTOR did as well. It sucks because when I was first leveling up in vanilla WoW, I would come across the top warrior (my class) in Stormwind or Ironforge. I wanted his gear so bad, but knew I had to work at it. So my question is this, how hard will it be to get the best gear in the game? and what about "casuals"?

2. I haven't seen much about the world yet (only been following the game for a few weeks) but will it be instanced like GW2 and SWTOR or more "available" like WoW and EQ?

3. I don't know how much interest ya'll have been getting, but has it surprised you at all, either in a good way or a bad way?
  15. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

Crafting
    1. How will the gear you craft rank in comparison to stuff that drops while leveling? I usually find that the gear I get from a quest or from fighting is better than the crafted stuff and thus easier to use than the crafted...so what's the point of the crafted? Just wondering where you stand on that idea.

2. Will crafting be useful at all end game, and will it need mats from raids to be crafted?

3. Will crafting be the same boring thing or will it be more minigamish? Really hoping for something more interesting than I have the mats hit a button.

Housing..
    any plans?

Most of the rest has been asked. Thanks:)
  16. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

Oh one more...will there be world events and if so how often are you planning them, and are they custom or random?
  17. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

1. Any chance there will be login system soon, that interested people can log on to to verify that their submission to beta did not fall through any cracks - and maybe add system spec updates to, in casee the devs are looking to test on a range of system setups.

2. What about a contact list for localization teams. Personally I'd be interested in Danish ;-)

3. Are you going to split playerbase up into geographic regions? If so, will I still be able to choose to play with my US friends?

4. Do you have plans about the initial demand for extra servers that seems to be the tendency on MMO launches, and the following need to merge/xfer server population due to some unsubbing after the first 3-4 months to uphold a population level that engage group playing? I guess my question is more about are you thinking about a scaling server policy that will not worry players and give ammunition to haters about the games health, when it goes through a natural lifecycle.

5. Have you considered a WildStar the Movie, and if yes, can I get it through a cash shop :p

6. Will there be some sort of crafting commision system, where a crafter can be commisioned to make an item, the customer can put in the mats required into the commision window, and the crafting can begin. (this system is pretty nice in EQ2)

7. How advanced are you going to make guild administration (particular topic of interest for me)? Guild rank, guild primary/secondary roles, member list, member craft/recipy list, ingame member forum that can be accessed by a smartphone app, chats, guild banking, guild perks... sorry, I have too many ideas about the immersed guild experience to put in one question :p

8. Will there be gated content, that works as a progression guide and a guideline to show people what they need to work on to go further in the games story?
  18. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

1) will the friend list be account based or character based?
    2) is it possible to have cross faction chat between friends or guild members (would be solved if the friends list is account based I think)
  19. Hydros

Hydros Cupcake

1) Is there going to be some sort of attunement for PvE progression?
    2) Is endgame going to have only one difficulty (It being real hard)?

(I hope both answers are yes!)
  20. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

1.) Do you have an estimated amount of time that it should take someone to reach max level if that person plays at a reasonable clip? (someone knowledgeable of MMO tropes/decent handle on the systems of the game)

2.) Does everything happen on the one planet, or will we be jet setting off to alien worlds?

3.) Through all the gameplay, i can't remember seeing any character use a combat pet of any kind. Have you guys finally done away with this clunky system? And if you do have combat pets, do you have plans to make them not behave weirdly, clunky?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.